Most accuracy and precision at night?

MCary

What would you consider the most accurate weapon sight for night hunting. Generally speaking to avoid the “depends” answer. Example: When sighting in thermals the size of the target is usually larger due to the size of the heat source used and halo at longer range. How would that effect a 300 or 400 yard shot? With digital could you even see that far? I’ve never used NV, what about them? Just as well throw in spotlight. Obviously should be most accurate but limited range?

I use thermal and am comfortable with taking shots to 400 with it. I believe though that the most accurate way to shoot at night would be a very good NV clip on in front of a very good day scope while using a very good illuminator.

Last edited:
300-400 yards isn't necessarily what I consider to be long-range. Both thermal and NV can handle those distances. If you're planning to shoot beyond that, Night Vision is your best bet.

Most folks can’t shoot 300 to 400 in bright daylight much less at night with thermal. So for them it would be a challenge. Not all thermals are up to those ranges either.. and I am not to sure of myself either!

Originally Posted By: smokemMost folks can’t shoot 300 to 400 in bright daylight much less at night with thermal. So for them it would be a challenge. Not all thermals are up to those ranges either.. and I am not to sure of myself either!

^^^ This. Plus everything seems farther than it really is at night. I've seen several people claim 200+ yard shots, then when you go back in the morning for the recovery we find the animal is 100 paces or less from the shot(myself included). I did hit one once at 400 using Google earth to verify the distance. With my Apex XP50 that coyote wasn't much more than a dot the size of the + in the crosshairs. I can't see that being a high percentage shot very often.

+1 from above. If you are not considering 300-400 yard shots at coyotes at night to be long distance you are probably in the minority. I would say overall a very small amount of dogs fall at over 400 in the dark (even with my night goggles tripod which I love, ha). they do look like just dots at that distance. I have a Gen 3 that I feel very comfortable to 250 and my nemesis 6x QS is about the same. Echoing what was mentioned above about everything seeming further than it really is, I never hold over on a shot at night. I was completely over estimating how far away shots were. Once I started always holding right on, my "long range" shots started connecting more. I think night vision is more accurate than thermal at any distance but thermal is with out a doubt quicker to acquire a target with as well as make follow up shots.

Last edited:
300 yard shots are not a problem with quality thermal as long as you know the distance. 400 is possible as well. Having a good rangefinder is important if you want to reach out to one that is hung up.

Last edited:
Here is my question - why are people shooting Coyotes at 400+ yards??

1. Retrieving them would be a nightmare. It is hard enough finding a downed coyote at 150 yards
2. Like some above said - most people cannot hit a Coyote at 300+ during the day.
3. Majority of my night Coyotes are under 200

Here is my question - What exactly are people shooting at at 300-400 yards with thermal?
I hear it all the time "I can tell it is a coyote by the way it moves, etc..."
Truth is to me it is just a heat signature at that range, there is no way that I can tell a coyote from a fox, dog, whatever at 300-400 yards through my Trijicon 12 micron core thermal. My hat is off to you guys who can positively ID what you are shooting at out at those distances. I can't.

I could positively ID a couple Coyotes at 961 yards.
Ranged it with my silencerco Radius and then ID’d two Coyotes that we’re howling while I was looking at them through my IR Hunter Mark3 60mm.

It is possible to ID at Long distances. Like you said, is it a coyote or a farm dog??

Darn I wish I had the cash for another scope. That trij mk3 60mm must be nice. But $9000 whoeeee. At the moment I'm setting up a farmer friend with a discontinued Apex xq38 for $2300 and I think they were discontinued cause they were too good for that cheap of price. Back to topic I've scanned with this unit for a while and I pretty sure espeacially if there were more than one I could 99% positive ID coyotes at 500 yards with the xp38 but would never assume pig at 500. Cows cost too much. These new scopes are awesome! Just wish I could shoot better lol.

Back