Convert to 204 from 223

champ198

is it correct that if I want to take my AR to 204 Ruger that the BCG and Mags are the same.
all I would have to change is the Barrel.
and would I need to change buffer also?

Originally Posted By: champ198I do reload yes.
what are normally the issues with 204 and Pmags.
Inside the pmags on the sides you will notice a molded rib that the shoulder of the 223 round goes up against, the shoulder on the 204 round is longer and the rib in the mag pushes the 204 round off center, the ribs can be modified on the pmags to work with the 204 but it's not worth the hassle

Last edited:
ill have to dig into the 20 Practical a little more.
I see not much avalibility for Ammo or Brass so I assume you resize 223 Brass

GL Been trying to do some reading on how to resize the brass down from 223 to 20P.
seen quite a few of your posts
hopefully by the time I get to order the barrel ill have it figured out. will be my first time doing this with a cartridge as far as resizing it down from one caliber to another. so its a little new to me.

The good thing on this one is that it's a simple neck down to 20 caliber. I use Redding bushing dies to make and load mine. No shoulder bump is done during the process. I do mine in two steps to make it easier on the brass. I can't recall the numbers I use but as long as you use the same head stamp brass it gets pretty simple. I use a Hornady 20 caliber seating die.

You get the barrel and I'll be glad to help.

Greg

I also shoot a 20 Prac in an AR15 platform. It is one of my favorite coyote rifles. As Greg stated, making 20 Prac brass is very easy. I too use a two step sizing procedure when converting from 223 to 204. Final bushing size will depend on the thickness of the brass you ultimately end up using. Once you are ready to load there will be lots of guys willing and able to help walk you through the process.

For the bullet seating die, you just purchase a 223 seating die and a .204 seating stem and you're done. I like the Forster micrometer dies though the Redding competition seating die with a .204 stem works similarly well. Excellent concentricity and super accurate rounds...

I load all my .20 calibers with the parent case .224 seaters, using the as issued stems. .20BR, .20 Dasher, .20-250. Excellent concentricity with all of them using .224 seaters with the .224 stems. In fact, I use the .224 neck dies (with smaller bushings) and .224 body dies for shoulder bumping too. Been shooting .20's since long before there was any factory .20 caliber offering and have never owned a .20 caliber specific die.

- DAA

Back