Henry lever 22 mag on the way, where to start???

adkmountainken

for Christmas my wife bought me a new Henry lever 22 mag. I plan to do some coyote and fox hunting, yeah I know most don't suggest a 22 mag but I like them and have hunted with them a lot with great success as long as I took "kill zone" shots. now need to figure out where to start as far as ammo and scope!

Good wife there !!
I like CCI 40 gn Gamepoint and Aguila 40 gn JSP Silver Eagle for my Ruger American.
Its fun to try out diff 22 WMR ammo for accuracy..
Let us know what you settle on..

Cannot really say about a Henry, but my CZ455 does a LOT better
accuracy-wise with jacketed ammo such as Hornady or CCI 30gr
Vmax.

I hope your Henry 22 Mag has a higher comb than the 22 LR Henry Golden Boy rifles have.

To see through the scope your cheek may have to be way above the stock. On the Golden Boy rifles my head has to be 2" above the stock just to see the sights.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneCannot really say about a Henry, but my CZ455 does a LOT better
accuracy-wise with jacketed ammo such as Hornady or CCI 30gr
Vmax.

I used to have a HB Rem 597 22mag and it was the same way, it shot the 30gr Vmax ammo the best of anything I tried in it.

Wayyy back when I was a kid in HS I had a Win 9422M, back then you didn't have many options for 22mag ammo, but I shot the CCI Maxi Mag ammo in it and it shot that stuff pretty well.

I picked up my Henry 22 mag just today. Henry offered a 3 day deal a while back where you could pick your serial number so mine is my first two initials and last name. Hope to get it scoped and test fired during the holidays.

Originally Posted By: GCWinchester 40 gr. hollowpoint worked well enough for me years ago when I used WMR.

I've been shooting those in several WMR's for 40 years. They're accurate in every 22mag I've owned (and I've owned a few) and they kill like Thor's hammer.

As far as the Henry goes.....I bought one for hunting Cats with my Cur dogs about ten years ago....it's by far the most accurate 22WMR I've owned...and that includes a Winchester and as much as I hate to say it...a CZ. I'll never part with it.

iQbLluFl.jpg

Enjoy

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI hope your Henry 22 Mag has a higher comb than the 22 LR Henry Golden Boy rifles have.

To see through the scope your cheek may have to be way above the stock. On the Golden Boy rifles my head has to be 2" above the stock just to see the sights.

A scope on a lever gun?

Agree that a scope on the Henry would lessen its good looks in my opinion, however given my eyesight I would about have to have a scope in order to see well.

Repete, do you have a peep sight on yours ?

I auctually go to pick it up today as it is a gift from my wife to me for Christmas. it currently has open rifle sights which are rather "bulky" and I do not like at all. I intend to add peep sights, perhaps a Skinner rear peep and a gold front bead.

Back