Bobcats and Foxpro sounds

I've called Missouri cats with squirrel distress, cottontail, woodpecker, jackrabbit and fawn deer distress. Probably some sounds I have forgotten. I think it matters less what sound you choose and more about getting close to a cat before calling, keep the sound coming steady on, use a decoy and don't fidget around on stand. Do those things, shoot straight and you'll have a cat.

Spot on. I've called in three, shot one. Two of them I was using baby jack and a decoy. The other I was just really close to. He came out within seconds of the first howl played.

I agree with GC, setting up your stand within 400 yards or less of a bobcat is way more important than the sound you play.

I have called in bobcats using rabbit distress, bird distress, prairie dog distress and just about a month ago called one in using adult rat in distress.

IMG_9757 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The bobcat in the above picture came in while I was playing Adult Rat in Distress.

Originally Posted By: GC I think it matters less what sound you choose and more about getting close to a cat before calling, keep the sound coming steady on, use a decoy and don't fidget around on stand. Do those things, shoot straight and you'll have a cat.

This is so true. Know they are there, and get as close as you dare. Cats are so curious. Here in Virginia they inhabit the same cover as our Gray Foxes, fresh young regrowth pine cutovers, especially on steep ridge lines with a creek down under. Because of that, I have called in a few when hunting foxes. Two of them have come in to investigate the FoxPro sound Platinum Gray Fox Pup, they both died. I am not saying using that sound for them, but it does prove the importance of a specific sound. Rabbit is their main meal source but birds will work as well. IMPORTANT:Get as close to them first, then call. Use a decoy, if you don't have one-get one.

My MOST IMPORTANT TOOL for SUCCESSFULLY Calling Bobcats is the MRI (Most recent Information) that I gain from farmers and landowners on their whereabouts. It allows me to get in close to them to start with. Here in the east, they are not gonna travel 1/4 or 1/2 mile to come to you. Cover and terrain inhibits the sound travel around here. Be in close.

Last edited:
Any prey distress call that will bring in a coyote will bring in a bobcat. I find that they are more volume sensitive than coyotes. So don't go full volume right away. The higher pitched calls tend to work the best. Birds, cottontails, vole squeaks.

I always say that coyotes are what's happening when I am trying to call bobcats. I have a hard time giving a coyote a pass, even when bobcat hunting.

In my experience gun shots don't necessarily spook bobcats. Shoot the coyote, keep the call running and sit out your time.

Back