Foaming bore cleaner

Originally Posted By: desertcjOver night? Lol...you foam guys crack me up. Glad its working for you though. I'm not that patient.

Well overnight is not necessary every time but I want to see how this new stuff works. Besides I figured out at my age I don't need to do this 24/7 and clean barrels "right now".

Normal foam treatments take about 20 minutes or so and I routinely do two on each barrel above 20 caliber. The little ones get three doses. Squint it in. Go play on the computer for twenty minutes, run three patches though it and repeat. Hardly labor intensive. During the first cycle I will also foam the BCG and parts in a sandwich bag and then finish them off during the second rotation with reassembly.

I've got 30 + uppers hanging on racks right now though so if you'd like to drop buy and help me touch them up I'd appreciate it. I'll even buy you lunch. Then when we're done with these we can start on the handguns..LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: desertcjOver night? Lol...you foam guys crack me up. Glad its working for you though. I'm not that patient.

I've used several brands of foam and MANY regular liquid solvents over the years and have had more patience than time (in years past it was work, now, @ 82 YO hard to say how much time I DO have.
lol.gif
). I'm liking Tactical Advantage (it is a liquid, not foam) best at the moment.

Anyway, you can soak multiple rifles simultaneously overnight, or for that matter for several hours during the day without any expenditure of time or effort and any solvent (liquid or foam) will get more copper or carbon out the longer they are allowed to soak.....assuming they are safe to leave in bore for extended time periods. (ie. solvents such as Sweet's will damage barrel if left too long).

Quote:I've got 30 + uppers hanging on racks right now though so if you'd like to drop buy and help me touch them up I'd appreciate it.

Glad the TA is workin' for ya, Greg. You know, if you line up all those uppers, you could "assembly line" 'em and about the time you applied TA to the last one, enough time would have elapsed to start dry patching the first.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I did 22 uppers last year doing four at a time. Foam them and 30 minutes later patch them. I cleaned about half my uppers on that go round. I have a spreadsheet on all my barrels and added a field to track clean vs. dirty.

I have to set down and do about 40 handguns in the near future. They're mostly clean but a little TLC is never a waste.

It would be a lot quicker if I were single as my wife doesn't appreciate the smells of the solvents in the house.

Greg

Wipeout is so simple, and with proper fitting bore guides with o-rings, just seems like a no brainer. Only barrel that I couldn't get clean with wipeout was one that I had failed to keep up on and it got a carbon build up so bad that I had to use JB paste and Kroil.

Back