IR Light Upgrade

Str8Shooter

I know this topic has been discussed, but I’m looking for a little more clarity (no pun intended) on options for upgrading my IR light. Right now I’m running a cheap Evolva T20. I just recently purchased a Photon RT and I’d like to beef up my external IR source to take advantage of the enhanced image that the scope provides at a farther distance. I’m considering the UNV T20 or the possibility of a new pill for my existing light. Will these options help me achieve my goal? Or are there better options out there?

How far do you need to illuminated?

Without spending thousands on a restricted (and most likely hot/stolen) unit, my favorite illuminator thus far is the Steiner SPIR. It has a focusable beam and illuminates 600 yards like its nothing. I can see eyes to locate and make out body shapes to about twice that. Reflective stuff like gloss painted steel, windows, cars will illuminate to over a mile.

I'm hoping to get out to around 300 yds with good clarity. It might be asking too much of the optics, but it's worth a try.

That's a great looking setup, but it's a little too pricey for me.

300 yards is asking a lot with digital NV.
Just about all of the hunting light guys are offering long range IR options now. Just be aware that with those large bezel IR's you will have a very noticeable glow at the emitter.
TNVC's torch is very nice with a smaller bezel. More money but it is more covert than the huge bezel Chinese lights.
If you want to really reach out take a look at the CoyoteLight IR but it also has a large signature.

Last edited:
I’d agree 300 yds is a lot with digital NV. I’m not planning on taking longer shots, just want to be able to transition from the thermal scanner to the scope while they’re farther out. Anyone use the UNV T20? What’s the light signature like on it?

Check out the Night Eyes IR 350
The furthest I’ve killed with it through my XSight is 240 yards and it was a stretch but I can definitely see eyes allot further,
It has limited IR glow and I’ve personally never had a dog hold up because of it!

Check them out.... I don’t kill a ton but I feel I’ve put it through the test of time!

Thanks for the suggestions, the choices can be pretty mesmerizing. I definitely don't want to go big enough that I'm throwing too much of a signature.

Back