First Peek at the 22-NXS!!

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: GLShooterSanta is at the phone number below. I bet he knows all about the toys and what the elves can do.

Greg

Does Santa reference the Naughty vs. Nice list...asking for a friend
unsure.gif

Last I talked with Santa he's waiting for the big metal cutters to be fired up. Once that starts and and some testing is done, not really worried about that, they'll open the Workshop for custom toys. Lots of coyotes will be unhappy down the road and probably a PD or two.

Greg

GL Shooter;

Are you done testing? If not, when will you be posting updates?

I find the info you post incredibly interesting!

Thanks in advance;
Kahuner

Originally Posted By: KahunerGL Shooter;
Are you done testing? If not, when will you be posting updates?

I find the info you post incredibly interesting!

Thanks in advance;
Kahuner

I'm loading up the next 100+ batch of test ammunition as I type this. Testing is not done. I'm goung to shoot some 60 Sierra HP's and some 55 GameKings since this is going to be a varmint rifle for me. I I will load a few heavy ones though because they do intrigue me that they shoot decent in this 8 twist.

On a plus note Ritch takes delivery of the new chamber with the shorter throat tomorrow and he should be able to give the nod next week sometime if all goes well. Not bad they get the reamer and gauges and have one turned out in three business days.

Greg

Just a quick update. Ritch received his barrel with the new chamber earlier this week. He has only put three rounds through it looking for new chamber dimensions and everything is dead nuts the size of the last in shoulder height and diameter. The free bore has been shortened up nicely and will allow a multitude of bullets to hit the lands at mag length now or at least make the jumps a bit more reasonable.

He is finding his new Hornady 22 Nosler die is not sizing the necks down quite enough because of the Hagar brass necks being thinner than the standard Nosler case. Using RCBS SB dies works fine and I imagine a standard set of RCBS would do it too but I have not tried one. I have made up a big test batch using a Redding Type S bushing style with no issues.

If the weather holds this weekend should produce some new numbers from him. His assessment so far is it looks GTG so orders will be in play very soon.

Greg

What issues are you having using the 22 nosler dies? Will one still be able to use 22 nosler dies for the 22 nxs? Isn’t that one of the big benefits of the 22 nxs, having simple sizing dies?

Originally Posted By: HcboyWhat issues are you having using the 22 nosler dies? Will one still be able to use 22 nosler dies for the 22 nxs? Isn’t that one of the big benefits of the 22 nxs, having simple sizing dies?

I just said the HORNADY dies were not handling the thinner Hagar brass necks. The RCBS that we have been using and the Redding bushings are perfectly fine.

Greeg

Oookay, sorry Greg didn’t mean to upset you! Was just asking with all innocents because I’m new to these kinda things. I didn’t know that there’s such a difference in reloading dies from one manufacturer to another with my little experience in reloading. Learn something new everyday.

Not upset at all. The odd thing is while dies from batch to batch should be the same, and they are close, and brass should be the same from batch to batch, and they are close, tolerances can rear their ugly head and stack on each other.

Your brass and your Hornady die might be fine or not. I routinely pick up the Redding dies be sure because I want all the flexibility I can get. They will also be ideal for making NOSGAR brass down the road.

One example of identical but different that many have seen/experienced has been the 233 Redding Type S bushing dies. Some are large enough to load 6X45 with. Others the neck tunnel is too small to allow a 6MM to pass. Mine is good. Ritch's is too small.

Greg

Last edited:
my Hornady dies have the same issue, I was assuming that they were worn from brass forming. I have been using Redding dies in fired brass to get adequate neck tension. I am relieved to find out it is not isolated to just me.

Parallel work yielding the same results to me is indicative of a trend. I don't own the Hornady but I've got the front end covered with my two others.

Thanks for chiming in. It lets us know that this might not be a random anomalous situation.

Greg

I went with the Hornady new dimension 22 cal seater and the RCBS small base sizer. Btw, the SB sizer was on special/sale at "Uncle Larry's" online. Calling Mr. Ritch ASAP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75I went with the Hirnady new dimension 22 cal seater and the RCBS small base sizer. Btw, the SB size was on special/sale at "Uncle Larry's" online. Calling Mr. Ritch ASAP.

That is the set up that Ritch and I have been running for the early work and it works very well. I added a micro top to my seater and that really speeds up things. You'll love this new chamber seating depths.

Greg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223So are we gonna be limited to 8 twist hotrod 22 cals forever?
grin.gif

So far the 5 poly is only available in 7 and 8.

Ritch shot the new chamber today to see how it ran with six different bullets.. The leade angle change has lowered pressures and he is getting some vertical stringing. A bit more powder will handle that. Still well under an MOA but not what he wants.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr600Anymore updates?

The Cold and Rainy Gods have been messing with Ritch. TO is shipping my new chambered barrel today to Ritch for my upper.

I PLAN on shooting mine tomorrow with 55 Sierra GK's with H4895, 8208 and H335. I'll shooot 60 Sierra HP's using TAC, CFE and RL15.. Also in parallel I'm also shooting my 22 Nosler with 55 BT's and the 77 Nosler CC's.

Greg

Shot some last week and the numbers were nice and fast and the groups were good for several of the batches. My new chambered NXS will arrive tomorrow and then the hunt begins to do final nail down of the data. The neat thing is I will also get a 22 Valkyrie in the same box and will shoot it in parallel. I already know it will be like comparing a Camary to a Camaro..LOL

Greg

Greg I think you should try some of the 60g seirra tipped match king. Bc of .323 or so should be able to push them pretty fast yet little more weight and a really good bc. Read somewhere were they loaded them and the way they are shaped they are for a short throated chamber too.

Last edited:
Back