New Barrel Checks after Install?

losthelegend

I just purchased a new AR barrel and I am new at working on my AR's. Do I have to purchase Go, No-Go gauges to verify headspace gauges since I am using the same bolt carrier group? Are there any other checks that are required after I install? I watched some videos on YouTube on installing but I didn't find a checklist type video. Thank you in advance for your responses.

The barrels are headspaced when the extension is installed. From any reputable maker, it should be a non issue.

If it is still a concern...drop a new, never sized piece of brass and make sure it chambers tight. Then, put a piece of scotch tape on the brass and chamber again...it should not go fully into battery.

Or...rent a set. https://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=26

However, it should all be well. AR platforms are built to be modular for a reason.

I've assembled well over 100 AR rifles and never used them, like mentioned, headspace is already done/set so it's not necessary if you're using a known/quality barrel.

Don't worry about it if you bought the barrel from a reputable manufacturer. What did you decide on if I may?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Headspace is set when the barrel extension is torqued onto the barrel blank. I still check with a go/no-go gauge, even though it's not necessary. Other than that, I just like to swab the bore thoroughly, before heading to the range.

Back