New to Predator Hunting - Considering buying my 1st AR-15

Habs00

I’m relatively new to hunting (about 4 years) and finally taking the plunge into predator hunting next month. Bought a Foxpro caller and I’m excited to have a go.

My reason for the post - I am considering purchasing my first AR-15. I am leaning towards a Colt. I know it’s a question that may lead to 100 different answers, but I’d like to learn from your recommendations and hear what I may need to be aware of. I’ll most likely use it for shots that will be 250 yds or less.

And just know that I don’t know anything about the AR platform.

Thanks in advance for any insights. Much appreciated!

get a rock river, I have never heard of a colt matching their accuracy. colt is mainly military and police guns. RRA is more hunter friendly. I also have never heard of anyone being unhappy with the accuracy of a RRA. again colt is selling to people who get worried about milspec. I feel most guys at the very least are going to want to ditch the trigger on their colt. With RRA you at least get a usable trigger that you might be happy with never changing. Beyond that you could get a cheap palmetto AR, and just shoot it and figure out what you do and don't like and get what you really want later.

although RRA was my first complete gun, and that first one is the only one including the builds I have have done that will never ever go down the road.

Build your own for sure. Spend your dollars on the important stuff like barrel and trigger, not a logo on the lower. If you can’t or don’t want to build your own, there’s better options out there for a hunting AR.

Hello and welcome to the forums.
What is your budget? If you are mechanically inclined you can build a quality AR a lot cheaper than you can buy one.
What caliber do you plan on shooting? AR-15’s can be configured and purchased in many different calibers.

Thanks for the replies. My budget is roughly $1500. Not sure I want to go much over that.

I have heard good things about Rock River ARs.

Do you think an 16” barrel is sufficient for shots at yotes under 250 yds?

Building my own sounds intriguing, but I don’t have the slightest idea where to begin is there a book or website you recommend as a resource?

Thx.

If you aren’t sure of doing it yourself, then I wouldn’t do it.
I’d go with at least an 18” barrel, it’s a good compromise and still handles well. Stay away from the pencil thin barrels. Try to get a medium contour barrel, maybe a fluted one to save some weight. Probably a free-floated handgaurd.
I really don’t believe the manufacturer makes all that much difference, but everyone has their opinion. Just make sure it’s ready to mount a scope on it. AR’s take special scope mounts, you’ll need one of those. Get a good scope and some quality hunting ammo and you should be good to go.
There are some posts on here where folks show off their hunting AR’s, check that out, it’ll give you a pretty good idea what you’re looking for.

Never seen a Colt that shot near as good as what they cost. For a complete rifle, RRA is extremely hard to beat. Like others have said, if you can, build your own. The guys on here will coach you through it.

Quite a few options out there for complete rifles that would meet your criteria. Might look at the Ruger 556 MPR. Freefloated handguard, 18 inch barrel, upgraded trigger and they can be had for under $600 with a little digging around online. That would leave quite a bit of room in your budget for a scope mount, decent glass and a few other additions to give you a well outfitted calling rifle. You can always change things up on it later if you do get the bug to start tinkering with building your own. I am sure most of the bigger manufacturers have something that would be just as functional too.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

I really like Aero's M4E1 Enhanced uppers and lowers, in my opinion pretty much everything fixed from the milspec receivers but from looks 95% wouldn't know it wasnt milspec. Plus you can buy them assembled with all the small parts so you dont have to worry about small roll pins and detents. I would encourage learning how to do it all your self though, it's easy, my first one I learned by watching a youtube video, it was so easy I did it by memory a couple years later and from there on out. After that if anything goes weird with your AR down the road you know what to do.

Aero makes good stuff and they are the largest OEM manufacturer, I've heard something like 50% of the receivers you will buy were made by Aero no matter what name is stamped on the side.

if you haven't owned and shot an AR 15 much, I don't think you are going to know what you do and don't want on the gun. with that said I don't think its a good idea to tell a guy dude just build your own.

I say either buy a RRA or buy something really cheap like a M&P sport, or a ruger, all 3 of those guns you probably will not mind owning or keeping as a backup, if later on you decide you want to build something.

Call up Jason at Predator Technology Group (a Predator Masters sponsor and righteous dude) and tell him what you need. He'll build a rifle to fit your specific needs, and if you can get out to AZ, he'll probably take you out for a few stands to show you how it works. Trust me, you can't go wrong with PTG gear.

Not knowing what you want in an AR is the beauty of ARs. If you don't like it you just change it. Assembling an AR requires a skill level of about 4 or 5 on a scale of 10. It's pretty dang easy and certainly nothing for the do-it-yourself for to be scared of. I mean if you can torque a barrel nut on your pretty much there. And don't fall for any of the marketing b s of billet this or billet at that. Just get some standard plain jane parts and a good barrel and trigger. I would recommend starting with a Bear Creek arms side charge or dual charge upper. The side charge eliminates all the bolt slamming noise. I won't own anything but anymore in a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DesertRamCall up Jason at Predator Technology Group (a Predator Masters sponsor and righteous dude) and tell him what you need. He'll build a rifle to fit your specific needs, and if you can get out to AZ, he'll probably take you out for a few stands to show you how it works. Trust me, you can't go wrong with PTG gear.

I'm always looking for an excuse to take somebody out...

Back