Need your help

Fredritz

Ok guys I’m stuck. I have a pulsar Xp 38 trail and apex Xq 50 scope with 4 guns to choose from. I can get coyotes to 300 yds and closer fairly regular. I have a dd 556 , Ruger precision 6 creed , Barrett rec 7 in 6.8 spec, and model 70 in 22-250. Right now the scopes are on the two ar 15s. So do I leave the scopes where they are and change my sight in distance from 100 yds to 200 or switch and put them on the bolt guns and which distance do I sight them in at

If it was me I would leave them on the ar's for faster follow up shots because it's harder to judge distance at night. Unless you have a radius or ways to range targets at night. I also sight my 6.8 and 223 ar that shares thermal in at 200. I would use a bolt gun if I had a scope that could ID a critter farther like at 300 though. Thats just me. But I very rarely hunt any places over 200 yards.

The shots I have taken haven’t been over 100 yards but I have passed on some shots beyond that that I no I can make if I felt confident in my gun at that range. I no this is a opinion based question just curious to what all you guys would do in my situation

Doesn't matter what you put it on getting out 300 and beyond with thermal gets iffy. Zero at 200 and capitalized on those high percentage shots. I would not take them off of an AR but I would build a hotter AR like a 22 Nosler or one of the 6.8 variants

Last edited:
The barrett rec 7 would be a great option... I finally settled on 6.8 spc after hunting with a slew of calibers...I was on the hunt for a caliber that had decent qualities to be suppressed. The 6.8spc won it for me... I run the 110gr vmax rounds and it produce DRT very consistently

Wow what a problem to have, lol !! I suggest you send me those thermals & your problem is solved
thumbup.gif

Hunt with the rifle you are most confident with ! They will all do the job. I still use a bolt but a new msr 223 is just waiting for me to break it in. Quick follow up shots are a plus !

Happy hunting !!!

Lol I no if I didn’t have so many guns to put them on I wouldn’t be having a problem I think I want to leave them on the ars for now or Adleast the 6.8 I’m liking that gun and caliber

Back