The best low light scope

KjBeachy

Not looking to buy one, but what is "the best" low light scope on the market?

And what is the best budget low light scope on the market?

Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Best, Schmidt and Bender ultra bright.

Best budget would depend on your actually budget.

Let's say, 500 and under

Under $500 probably your typical VX3 or something of that nature. You’re not getting anything with spectacular glass for under $500, but as you get closer to $500 they will have better glass for the most part. You MAY be able to find a used Swarovski Z3 for $500, if you could then that would by far be the best low light scope for that price.

Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24The crossfires are made in china junk and have terrible optical quality as a result. Resolution is about equal to that of a coke bottle.

That's hilarious!

Originally Posted By: KjBeachyOriginally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24The crossfires are made in china junk and have terrible optical quality as a result. Resolution is about equal to that of a coke bottle.

That's hilarious!

It is comical, but completely true. They are not worth the box that they are shipped in.

Are all mid-range scopes of the same model and make equal for
quality and clarity?

My reason for asking is that I once got a Bushnell Banner Dawn
to Dusk which I was tickled pink with. It picks up things I can
hardly see otherwise and the clarity is great for such an
inexpensive scope. I later bought another one which was a total
disappointment, both in clarity and light gathering qualities.
Still have the first, but the second went down the road.

ive been really impressed with my leica magnus. cameraland has them on sale right now for close to half off. easliy beats any swaro, leupold, or nf ive looked through.

Sub 500 bucks - I'd go Leupold or Nikon. I've never looked at Meopta but have heard good things. Nikon has always seemed "brighter" to me, but Leupold has better color to me.

Glass is extremely subjective IMO. Either way there's no way I'd consider anything vortex other than a razor gen II - unless you plan on destroying it.

I've been super impressed with a Trijicon accupoint 3-9 I just picked up. Very bright in the dark woods and it only weighs 13oz. Has both tritium and fiber optics to help illuminate the reticle. Held up very well in the Allagash in Maine with bad winter weather, never fogged or anything like that. I got it for like $550, they used to be over $1K. Very nice optic.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchEotech or Aimpoint in front of TNV/PVS-14

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: kpkiefer

Glass is extremely subjective IMO. Either way there's no way I'd consider anything vortex other than a razor gen II - unless you plan on destroying it.

I am quite pleased with a Viper which has been on a heavy
recoiling custom muzzle loader for three years....so far, so
good.

I was pleased with the BSA 6-24 I bought nearly 20 years ago as my second scope to replace the $10 Bushnell 3-9 that came on my first rifle which was a crappy Remington 710 which I was also pleased with because I didn't know any better. Then I started buying better stuff and I quickly realized what a true POS that scope and rifle really was.

Just don't look through better glass and you won't be disappointed with the glass quality of your Viper. Spend some time with stuff from Swarovski, higher end Zeiss and Hensoldt, Schmidt and Bender, and so forth and you'll never be able to talk yourself into owning something like a Viper ever again.

Glass is subjective, based on the experience of the user.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24
Just don't look through better glass and you won't be disappointed with the glass quality of your Viper.

Took your advice years before it was given.
thumbup1.gif

With light at the right angle, I've seen skeeter wings
fluttering at 100yds with my now old Bushy 4200 on 12X. The
Viper has the same clarity. That alone makes it impossible for
me to justify paying 2-3x more for glass than the tool it is
mounted on.

Back