No "legitimate" use for an AR?

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I HATE that claim, that no respectable hunter would ever use an AR for hunting.

Guess maybe Matt and Jay should go put back the 6 deer and the 250lb hog they put down this week in Oklahoma with their PTG-10's that we built in .308 using factory Hornady 150gr SP's.

Those AR haters can choke on it.

image000001 (3) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

image000001 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

image000001 (2) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

That makes 12 deer and a hog this season alone with AR-15's and 10's for our clients. LOVE IT!!!

I really like my AR's for hunting...they're purpose built and suite the use well. I hate the ignorant types that have no knowledge of the AR platform and just how wide reaching and effectively built they can be.

Been using them since 96, I rarely touch a bolt gun anymore. I have them in calibers for any hunting I could possibly do. I would hate to be forced to give them up.

My calibers currently:
223AI
22x6.8
243 lbc/ 6mm predator (favorites, and calling rifles)
243 Wssm (bad to the bone!)
30 RAR
300 Saum

Originally Posted By: 204 ARBeen using them since 96, I rarely touch a bolt gun anymore. I have them in calibers for any hunting I could possibly do. I would hate to be forced to give them up.

My calibers currently:
223AI
22x6.8
30 RAR
300 Saum
204R, how do you like your 22x6.8? Is it just so so or do you think it has some advantages over other calibers? I am kinda looking for something different and might look at this. Thanks

Gene

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: 204 ARBeen using them since 96, I rarely touch a bolt gun anymore. I have them in calibers for any hunting I could possibly do. I would hate to be forced to give them up.

My calibers currently:
223AI
22x6.8
30 RAR
300 Saum
204R, how do you like your 22x6.8? Is it just so so or do you think it has some advantages over other calibers? I am kinda looking for something different and might look at this. Thanks

Gene

I just got it put together, but the first test run was good. Here is a 200 yd target shot in less than ideal conditions, 52 gr hdy hpbt, top speed was avg 3598 fps. It has potential. Actually I bought it second hand, and it had a section of hard carbon baked on in front of the throat. I got it scrubbed out finally yesterday so I expect even better now. And honestly I don't see it replacing my 6 Predator as a calling rifle so not sure why I got it except it was a good deal and something I haven't done. Although who knows, it might grow on me lol.

16HlpdFl.jpg

As we all know it has nothing to with just AR's. The anti's hate guns and hunting. If they have their way we'll be using sharp sticks. Maybe...if those aren't illegal too. I love my AR's. Wonderful little invention.

Me too. I still have a love affair with a M70 bolt gun, but most all of my hunting rifles have gone to AR-15 receivers. I do have a Browning BAR LW Stalker, in 308 Win, that gets picked over my LR-308, with a custom barrel, because it is at least as accurate, with hand loads, and lighter. All of my Pdog/Varmint/Predator rifles are AR-15s(204 Ruger, 223 Rem, 6mm WOA, 6mm TAC, and 6.8 SPC). Actually last night, fighting insomnia, I was thinking about selling some bolt actions, in varmint cartridges, just because they have turned into safe queens.

One of my fondest memories is having some liberal friends over, to sight in their "safe" deer rifles, and hauling out an "evil" AR-15, in 6.8 SPC, and letting them shoot it. I had to keep from laughing, as they handled it like it was going to bite them. After shooting some tight groups with it, the ultra liberal wife, who shot the best group, wanted to know how much my rifle cost. They really liked it, but I think it was outside their limited firearms budget. At least they got to see there wasn't anything evil about an AR-15.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeMe too. I still have a love affair with a M70 bolt gun, but most all of my hunting rifles have gone to AR-15 receivers. I do have a Browning BAR LW Stalker, in 308 Win, that gets picked over my LR-308, with a custom barrel, because it is at least as accurate, with hand loads, and lighter. All of my Pdog/Varmint/Predator rifles are AR-15s(204 Ruger, 223 Rem, 6mm WOA, 6mm TAC, and 6.8 SPC). Actually last night, fighting insomnia, I was thinking about selling some bolt actions, in varmint cartridges, just because they have turned into safe queens.

One of my fondest memories is having some liberal friends over, to sight in their "safe" deer rifles, and hauling out an "evil" AR-15, in 6.8 SPC, and letting them shoot it. I had to keep from laughing, as they handled it like it was going to bite them. After shooting some tight groups with it, the ultra liberal wife, who shot the best group, wanted to know how much my rifle cost. They really liked it, but I think it was outside their limited firearms budget. At least they got to see there wasn't anything evil about an AR-15.

Squeeze

I remember Mark Kelly, husband to Gabby Giffords, making the claim that he as a "hunter" saw no "legitimate" reason to have an AR-15 because he felt that you wouldn't use it for hunting. He claimed that he had recently hunted and did not use an AR.

I can't stand anti's like him who try to legitimize their claims by pretending to represent other hunters. I hunt. I have used single shot, bolt action, lever action, pump action, semi auto and AR's all for hunting.

I am interested when they seem to gift the AR's with super powers. A recent gun grabber tried to tell me that the AR-15 was too "powerful" and was not necessary for coyote hunting. He then went on, in an attempt to lend veracity to his argument, that his mini-14 was plenty for hunting coyotes. Ummmmm, they are both the same caliber. They are both semi automatics. How is the AR more "powerful" than a rifle of the exact same caliber?

Funny about those "safe" hunting rifles. They think that an "assault rifle" is magically more dangerous.

The Brown Bess MUSKET, was the assault rifle of it's time. Ok, it was a smoothbore, but why let facts get in the way?

Then the breech loading 45-70 was the assault rifle of it's time. The lever action took over for the trapdoors. The bolt action took over. The Garand was the assault rifle of it's time, beating out the bolt gun, and so on.

I personally value the versatility of the platform. I tender my soapbox.

buddy of mine got pulled over coming home from hunting the other night for his tints. he's got a prescription on his plate too - the guy didnt even run his tag before yanking him. older officer thought he had an ez ticket.

he's a CPL holder, so he disclosed the firearms right away as required by law and of course the officer asked to inspect his weapons. saw the 450bm ar-15 when my friend let him open the case on the tailgate and about lost his cookies

officer: you cant hunt with that
friend: the DNR tends to disagree with you. this is perfectly legal. its a 450 bushmaster.
officer: you have a loaded magazine in the pocket of the gun case
friend: so what? its not in the magwell, the chamber is empty, the firearm and its mags are being legally transported. the magazines only hold 5 rounds.
officer: but , but...

he spent about 15 mins explaining the hunting regs to the guy, and they parted on good terms, but yea... there's a lot of misinformation out there about black rifles and people just believe it.

it's interesting to note that none of them show any interest in banning Garands, which are in fact semi-auto weapons of war that were designed for the military, broadly issued to our armed forced and in fact used to fight and win a world war.

I don't see any legitimate reason for people not to have an AR. On my very first time out with my AR I shot a single and a triple, 4 shots and 4 coyote, next a double on red fox and after that a couple whitetail.

I got my first one, a CAR15 in 1969.
It was a real piece of junk, the ammo was bad.
I own a few now because I bought a Bushmaster years ago.
They changed my mind.

I agree. The older "off the shelf" AR's were real ht or miss, with miss being more likely. But as technology has changed and production standards have gone up, the "average" AR shoots well enough to get the job done for most hunters/shooters and for just a little bit more you can have a real shooter.

I have no issues with bolt guns, but I duzz luvs me some AR's.

I have had to "calm the fears" of some "reasonable" Democrats. They claim to not be against hunting, or rifles or even handguns. But they don't learn the facts, they don't understand how guns work, so they don't base arguments on semi-auto, bolt, lever action, etc. Then if they say something about semi-auto ar's and you mention shotguns, M1s or BARs, they have no counter-argument.

They listen to the old media, and they believe everything they're told. We are the cooks because we turn to to other sources for our facts, and we are crazies because we cling to our guns.

I explained to one guy how useful an AR really can be for hunting, for hogs, coyotes etc, and of course that the point of the 2nd amendment isn't what's convenient or reasonable. He simply said, well that's a small portion of people that can justify it, so it's ok to take it away. I was about to come unglued, and I left the conversation disappointed and a little angry that I couldn't sway his opinion really. Partially me not being as well spoken as I should, and partially because I don't think we can sway their mindset. After all, we aren't experts from CNN.

Back