From 7 to 1

RandyDB

Last time out was the Saturday after Thankgiving, thats the day I called and shot 7 coyote before noon. Knew that I was bound for a long dry spell so just decided not to go anymore.

That's a lie, just been busy and wife been sick for almost three weeks and then there was firearm deer season and then to top it all off the wind seemed to blow 20+ on the days I could get out.

Saw that it was going to sunshine and under 10mph winds today, but I had forgot about my dentist appointment so I didn't get out early and one thing led to another but by 11:00 I was on my way.

Had a 10 mile loop planned for taking the e-bike. Called five different stands all good places where I have called and taken numerous coyotes over the years. Cotton fields, milo stubble, pastures,and run off drainage creeks.

Was the second stand where I connected but made an ameture mistake. First off I forgot to put in my hearing aids, with out them I can't tell if my Foxpro is working or not if I place it over 50 yards away. Can usually hear the howls but not the distress sounds very well.

Road my bike to the 1/2 mile line from the east with cut milo and a 50 acre pasture on the west half section. Setup on a water way running north and south with another one at about 200 yards cutting at an angle to the west and north of me.

Started off with female yodel howls for about 30-40 seconds then waited for approximately 3 minutes. Then switched to baby ferret at half volume, couldn't hear it, let it run for a minute the cranked it to high. Was able to hear that so lowered it back and hit the mute.
Saw one at the edge of the pasture close to 400 yards it cut across to the waterway and was head my way. The closest it was going to get was 100 yds before it could wind me. Got the rifle pointed where I wanted to stop him and waited.

He wasn't coming very fast but he was still coming so I kept the call muted. But I was lowering the volume with out looking or so I thought. At a little over 200 yards he stopped and was looking in the direction of the call which I have a mojo critter attached. So with out looking I hit the mute button. I hit the select button instead and had switch to locator group howl on my presets at high volume. You would of thought I shot at him he took off so fast straight back the way he came.

I was kicking my self says a few choice works to myself when I see another coyote coming across a cut bean field to the north of the pasture. This time I look at the call and get the volume and the sound I want ready. He comes through the pasture and up the water way just like the first one. At almost the exact same spot he stops and looks towards the mojo. This time I hit the button but I can't tell if the sound came on because I have it set at 15.

He just stands there, so I'm sure it's just a little over 200 yards, I had brought my side charge 16" AR shooting some 10 year old or older white box Winchester with 45 gr hollow points that is sighted in for 200 yds. I left the scope on 3x as the less movement I see the more confidence I have in the shot. Put cross hairs center of the chest as he is quartering looking at me and about an 8-10 mph south wind. Squeezed the trigger, saw the impact. The 45s will do the job with the right placement, small hole in no exit. All the other stands were dry.
image.jpg

Quote: First off I forgot to put in my hearing aids, with out them I can't tell if my Foxpro is working or not

Boy, do I hear that! Just yesterday I was thinkin' with my hearing aids and a 15X scope, I'm as good as I ever was......almost.
lol.gif

That bike is the berries; is it geared low enough to pull in soft sand?

Regards,
hm

It only has a 350 watt motor so soft sand would be tough. But I took it down the end row of a freshly planted wheat field and it will do 6-7 mph in the soft dirt. Will do 10-12 in a bean field or no till field. Up to 20 on a dirt road.

That was a nice coyote for around here. Big female, guess 30lbs. Give or take. Have only shot one that has shown any sign of mange this year.

I recommend an e-bike, especially if you're getting up there in age. I had a knee replaced 2 years ago and the pedaling movement has it as mobile as my other knee. Plus I can pedal in half a mile and don't have catch my breath or let my heart settle down before I start calling.

I had one flat. Put sealant in that I bought from John Deere and have had no problems since. Have put 150 miles on it the last 2 seasons

Jordon it sure does, but it seems like there are more coyotes this year. There is a lot more cover with all the cotton fields here. Fellow running a cotton baler told me he has seen 1-3 coyote in every field that he picked so far.

Dinosaur that I am, I didn't realize what the E stood for. That's MY kind of bicycle!
thumbup.gif
Shame they didn't have those a few years ago.

Regards,
hm

Leave some for the rest of us Kansans.
Have you had your bike in tall grass or some of these rocky pastures? If so, how did it work.

Don't have many rocky pastures here but have had it in tall 2-3' grass it goes but but not well. I just find a cattle trail and follow them. Have taken it down the rows of a picked cotton field but not something I'd do regularly, pretty tough riding.

Always wanted to call the flint hills.

Last edited:
You crazy Kansanians and all your talk about cover, trees, COTTON and such! Next thing you'll tell me the wind doesn't ever blow.....Sorry, I don't do emoji's.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever be without one now that know what they will do. If I wear the motor out will go with a high watt

Back