6x45 vs 224 Valkyrie

Deadeye260

How does the 224 Valkyrie stack up against the old trusty 6mmx223?
Pros and Cons
I'm getting 2850fps with a 85gr SGK out of a 20in tube. Hornady shows the 88gr ELD 2675fps out of a 24in barrel
The 6x45 is just as good if not better
Change my mind!😎

With lighter bullets the 6x45 imo is better and the bullet selection is so great. The advantage of that bigger bore really helps with speed especially in a shorter AR length barrels. If you want to shoot long heavy for caliber high BC bullets the valkyrie probably has an edge. I have no need for the long heavy bullets though. With that said if we were ever satisfied the 6x45 would probably do about everything you really need to do in the coyote world as far as AR15s go and do it cheap.

Last edited:
What kind of accurate velocities are you guy getting out of 20 and 22" 6x45s with 55s? I have a 16" but would like to try a longer tube. I decided to try the 6x45 when True Sporting Arms had their big clearance but didn't act until they were down to 16 in. 2200 is magic in my 16 in. My most accurate load with tipped 55 varmageddons is a little bit over 3,200. I can't recall the exact speed at the moment.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't know anything about the .224. I do know that I'm sure having a lot of fun with my 6x45. Cheap brass and the ability to use .223 mags really sealed the deal for me.

My experience with the 6x45 is limited to my 16 inch ar15 in 6x45. i have had great luck with 55 grain nosler ballistic tips and AA2200. i believe i settled on a load just under the max published load and 3225 fps, although i was able to push them just over 3300 fps but the accuracy wasn't as good. I have yet to see any 16 inch 224 valkyries out there, so i can not say how they compare in equal barrel lengths. I would also like to know what kind of velocity is obtainable with a 20 inch 6x45.

I have only shot 70+ gr in my 6x45. Mostly 87gr vmax and 85gr SGKs up to 100gr sp fb bullets. A buddy of mine fell in love with my 6x45 and its performance, but he doesn't handload. So he picked up the 224 val, neither one of us have been real impressed.
I've been wanting a 6mm Grendel. I have plenty of Grendel brass and 2 grendel's so mags & bolt heads are covered as well. But the 6x45 has been holding it's own so well I dont know if I'll ever make the switch.

For coyote hunting I wouldn't say one is better than the other, they'll both get the job done. With 6mm you'll pick up a little sectional density which may or may not help with terminal ballistics, and with the 224V you'll for the most part have a higher BC with the same weight bullet which will give better velocity and energy retention down range as well as flatter trajectory and less wind drift.

For typical hunting distances inside 300 yards you won't see a difference between either of them. Beyond 300 yards the Valkyrie will have the advantage.

A more fair comparison would be 6mmAR/243LBC or 6-6.8 vs Valkyrie since they're all optimized for loading long heavy bullets at AR mag length while still allowing a decent powder charge.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettsince you like 6mm's just get a 6DTI,
I have 2 22 in 6 x 6. 8 one that shoots 70 ballistic tips and one that shoots 55 varmageddon hollow points. I've killed one coyote with the 70 ballistic tip at just shy of 3300 feet per second I shot him right behind the shoulder and he ran probably another 60 or 70 yards which scares me that the 70 BTS weren't expanding enough on non bone structure hits at that speed. At night I need drt. I need to try the other one that shoots the 55 varmageddon hollow points though.

Last edited:
I had bad luck with the 70 grain ballistic tips in my 6x45, granted they weren't moving as fast as you are getting with your 6x6.8. I think that bullet might need to be moving much faster than the 2900 fps I was getting in my 6x45 to get good expansion. Since moving to the 55s and moving them fairly fast i have not had any issues. i did upgrade to a nice tripod and ballhead from shooting sticks in the meantime which could be part of the solution as well. i gave my 70s to my buddy who is using them with great success in his 6 creed.

I am getting 2958 fps with a 20" 6x45 and 70 gr. Blitz Kings. Limited use on coyotes so far but the ones I did take dropped in their tracks. No experience with the Valkyrie.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: steve garrettsince you like 6mm's just get a 6DTI,
I have 2 22 in 6 x 6. 8 one that shoots 70 ballistic tips and one that shoots 55 varmageddon hollow points. I've killed one coyote with the 70 ballistic tip at just shy of 3300 feet per second I shot him right behind the shoulder and he ran probably another 60 or 70 yards which scares me that the 70 BTS weren't expanding enough on non bone structure hits at that speed. At night I need drt. I need to try the other one that shoots the 55 varmageddon hollow points though.

varmageddons are a pretty different type of construction. They are built like a vmax. my first choice in 6mm on coyotes would be the regular 55 grain btips, they are built different than the varmageddons. if you want expansion on non bone, a 65 grain vmax aught to do it.

All my coyote kills have been with the 85grsgk load. Every one has been either DRT or very close to it! Usually inside of 200yds. I'm shooting the 20in AR Stoner 5r 1/8 twist. I'm gonna try some 55gr dog towns or 58gr vmax soon.

I shoot the 55 gr. Nosler BT's out of a 20" 6x45 AR. I'm using IMR 4198 at just under 3,400 fps.

These are pretty typical results:

I shoot 70g gr ballistic tips in my 6x45. I can easily hit 4 out of 5 clay pigeons at 540 yds. I mainly use it for shooting prairie dogs and the 70gr bullets destroy prairie dogs. I shoot the 85 gr sierras when it gets windy, but the 85 gr does not expand at all on them.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI shoot the 55 gr. Nosler BT's out of a 20" 6x45 AR. I'm using IMR 4198 at just under 3,400 fps.

Video says your running a 6mm Parvo? Pet name for the x45?

I like the name!

Also, how much 4198 you stuffing in there? That's pretty impressive speeds.

Lol, yes that's the 6x45. Weekender told me some time ago that coyotes shot with it looked like they died from Parvo, so I adopted the name. I'm shooting 24 grs. of IMR 4198 with the 55 Nosler BT's. It is safe in my rifle, but can't speak for what anyone else might get.

Doubleup that performance from the 55s is spectacular! If someone changes the 6x45 name to 6mm Parvo itd probably fly off the shelves lol. I want to try a lighter bullet but I'm unsure how thatd workout when the feral hogs come out to play.

We don't have hogs in this area, so I can't give you any help on what they would do hogging. I think a typical behind the ear shot would be instant death, but running sounders with body shots I don't know about. The Nosler 55's are pretty tough though. They have a thicker base than most of the plastic tips. I usually get through and through on coyotes.

Back