Leupold VXR Firedot and CDS System

pyscodog

Thinking about a new scope for my hunting rifle. Its the Leupold VXR, with Firedot and the CDS system. For you than own and use them, can you give me an honest opinion before I make the purchase?

I have 2 VX-Rs. 1 3-9 CDS and one limited run VX-H Havok with wind plex and CDS. Both are very clear and repeatable on the dials. I haven't had the custom turrets made for either one yet because they move around to different rifles. The VX-H has a factory camo finish and a green dot instead of the normal red. both have worked great for shooting pigs in low light.
Bobby

Thanks Bobby. I'm looking at the 3x9 and the 4x12. I definitely want the Firedot and CDS dial as it be on my Deer/hog rifle. Doubt I'll ever move it once it get installed. I hate swapping scopes around. Now my concern is if a 3x9 will really work better than the 4x12. Not sure I need that much power on a hunting rig.

Both of mine are 3-9 and I've never felt the need for more in my situations. Actually they rarely come off of 3X unless I'm testing loads.

Did the CDS caps come with yours or was that an extra? The one I been looking at (3x9) doesn't say anything about CDS. Figure that may be an extra.

There are 2 different types. Mine are the CDS and come with a standard, exposed, MOA elevation turret and a coupon for one custom turret to use once you pick a load. The turret on my VX-6 has been spot on out to 400 yds which is the farthest I've been able to shoot it so far

Optics Planet has 4 VXR, 3-9 scopes and none of them are offering the CDS dials. Am I missing something? Prices seem very good though. I'm not sure I need the CDS dial but would sure like to have it.

Well, after a call to Optics Planet they have the scope with the CDS dials but it bumps the price up some but still cheaper than having Leupolds custom shop install the system. Are the CDS dial really worth the extra money? Seems they are from a few videos I've seen.

Last edited:
You will have to order a custom dial to have a zero stop, or drill a hole and have a ball bearing for the genetic dial. My cds custom dial works very well.

Well, got the VXR mounted and took it to the range today. I was very pleased with the clarity of the glass. I shot one round at 25 then went to 100. First shot was right, made one adjustment and was about an inch left. Four clicks right and cut the bull, one more to verify and cut the same hole. This rifle is ready to hunt. After Christmas, I'll get my data together and send it in to get my CDS dial made. I think the VXR with the CDS dial system is going to make for a very nice rifle. I'm pleased!!

Before I got my custom dial,while carrying with sling, the turret would turn from rubbing on my clothes. Cost me a coyote once when the dial was spun down almost a full turn, and of course I turned it down a couple more clicks to get it "back" to the zero mark. Coyote was sleeping at 185 yards. So you definitely want the zero STOP custom dial for hunting.

I'll be sending for it after our bonus deer season is over. He11 if I kill one it will be a bonus. My deer season has been terrible this year.

Back