could this be the holy grail AR 15 cartridge?

Thats funny as I have been shooting a rebated rim 6br in a AR for 15 years and never a problem!
Please explain to me how they make the big fat wssm case work? lol

Originally Posted By: Onebad06vtxThats funny as I have been shooting a rebated rim 6br in a AR for 15 years and never a problem!
Please explain to me how they make the big fat wssm case work? lol

I want to hear more about your 6br. loads, speeds, etc if you will?

this would be the case that could satisfy everyone. its short enough to handle long enough bullets for the people that want to shoot ubber distances. and its got a serious step up in horsepower.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett and its got a serious step up in horsepower.

I would have thought that also, until I just looked at Hodgdon's load data. It's only 100 fps better than what I get out of the Grendel case necked to 6mm. With between 1 and 2 grains powder more.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: steve garrett and its got a serious step up in horsepower.

I would have thought that also, until I just looked at Hodgdon's load data. It's only 100 fps better than what I get out of the Grendel case necked to 6mm. With between 1 and 2 grains powder more.

umm no, the BR case is about 40 grains. the grendel case is like 35 grains. the BR case could also be done as a dasher and be right there with 22-250 in compacity. if you read the article the grendel case IS A PPC case essentially and if it was only 1 -2 grains more than why one earth would people turn down the rims so they don't have to change the bolt face. the grendel/6.8 SPC based AR cases are a step above the 223, being about 5 grains each in extra HP, The BR case is double that again. So 10 grains more horsepower than the 223.

10 grains more than 223, NOW we are talking!!

Look at the load data... I didn't make it up. And it's capacity, not compacity. That's not even a word.

And the Grendel case pretty much splits the difference between the ppc and br because it's shoulder is pushed forward from the ppc. I'm loading 28.2 and 28.6 gr of 8208 behind 87 gr vmax in my 2 rifles, for 2900 fps. The 6 br shows 29.8 gr 8208 behind 85 gr for 3016.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAnd the Grendel case pretty much splits the difference between the ppc and br because it's shoulder is pushed forward from the ppc. I'm loading 28.2 and 28.6 gr of 8208 behind 87 gr vmax in my 2 rifles, for 2900 fps. The 6 br shows 29.8 gr 8208 behind 85 gr for 3016.

how is 35 grains splitting the difference vs 40? you can compare loads in the book vs your handloads all day long. but if one is loaded to 52kpsi and the other is loaded to 65kpsi your not comparing apples to apples.

223, roughly 30 grains of water,
grendel/6DTI/6x6.8, LBC, etc 35 grains
BR case, 40 grains,

I am not seeing a splitting of the difference. I see 1 step up and I see a doubling of that step to 2 steps above the 223.

capacity, compacity confusing? not me.

Lol, hey I'm not arguing here. If you want the expense of turning rims on expensive brass for an extra 100 fps, be my guest. Now, if someone can show me real world figures, and maybe that poster above can, that best the book figures, then hey more power to ya. I'm all for it. I'm just telling you what I get for speed, with good brass life, vs what I see in the load data for the br, isn't worth the trouble.

When you get one built up I look forward to the range report!
thumbup1.gif

its actually more like 150 fps, but if people think its crazy, the 223 is always way easier and simpler. but thats boring. you are already shooting a grendel so you are in the crazy category like me.

I said the same thing for years about the 6x6.8, ah its only 150 fps faster than a 223. but wait its a heavier bullet doing it as well. The power increase is very much noticeable. YES and worth it!!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettits actually more like 150 fps, but if people think its crazy, the 223 is always way easier and simpler. but thats boring. you are already shooting a grendel so you are in the crazy category like me.

I said the same thing for years about the 6x6.8, ah its only 150 fps faster than a 223. but wait its a heavier bullet doing it as well. The power increase is very much noticeable. YES and worth it!!

So stop talking about it and build it. Then you can show everyone.

I love the BR case. Have three rifles built on it. No, four. Unless I'm still forgetting one.

But I just can't get excited about using precious BR brass, that has gone the extra mile to turn the rims and shucking it around in an AR.

Question though, or just wondering out loud. How's feeding in an AR with the BR case? It doesn't typically feed worth a darn from factory style staggered box mags in bolt guns without some modifications. And even then, it doesn't feed what I'd call "smooth". All mine are single shots. Even the ones that didn't start out that way. Had Mike Bryant modify one of them, it never fed worth a dang even after he worked on it. So I just put a single shot follower in it.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAI love the BR case. Have three rifles built on it. No, four. Unless I'm still forgetting one.

But I just can't get excited about using precious BR brass, that has gone the extra mile to turn the rims and shucking it around in an AR.

Question though, or just wondering out loud. How's feeding in an AR with the BR case? It doesn't typically feed worth a darn from factory style staggered box mags in bolt guns without some modifications. And even then, it doesn't feed what I'd call "smooth". All mine are single shots. Even the ones that didn't start out that way. Had Mike Bryant modify one of them, it never fed worth a dang even after he worked on it. So I just put a single shot follower in it.

- DAA

I have lost I think 3 cases this entire fall using my brass diaper. It’s particlary nice when shooting in 8 inches of snow. I do think that the turning off of the rims is pretty darn impractical, for an at 15 but I post this to consider the possibilities. My hope would be that all this is done by nosier, Hornady etc. I don’t see myself ever doing it, ever. But I think the br case is the sweet spot in size fo an ar 15 and it’s the right length to satisfy everyone.

As for feeding the wssm log like cases seem to work the br cases aught be less challenging. I think a bolt gun is harder to tune for feeding that an ar with a specific magazine designed exactly for that case. My 243 ai would feed non regular cases but ai them and it quit feeding them correctly. I gave.up dinking with it and switched the gun to hs precision detachable mags, not ideal but cured the problem. When loading I just held the gun down and stuck the round right into the chamber and held the mag rounds down so the bolt road over them. Not really any extra trouble when I used that gun as a calling rifle.

Stop falling in love with brass it’s meant to be used
thumbup.gif

You know me. I don't want to be bothered with cleaning brass, FL sizing, using case lube, trimming, none of that crap. For the AR, if I can't buy it by the thousand, cheap, already sized and deprimed so all I have to do is seat a primer, dump powder, stuff a bullet, shoot it and leave the brass where it lands, I don't want to mess with it.

For me, the AR is a low performance platform that fills a niche pretty nicely. Tons of fun! Start introducing all the stuff in that first paragraph and I'm not so sure I'd be having so much fun with it anymore.

I don't see turning the rims as much of a hurdle though.

If I'm reading you right though, and maybe I'm not, but it sounds like you would need a magazine specific to the BR case? They exist, at least, it sounds like? Or no?

You really ought to do it. Wouldn't be any big whup to get that cutting head made. Heck, Butch Lambert would probably sell you one. I have a couple friends with lathes, or get a HF lathe to do your own. I imagine with some careful setup you could hold runout to +/- a tenth or two which an AR is never going to know the difference.

- DAA

I would like to have a AR chambered in a 6MM BRX. I have a 243 and 223 WSSM but do think the BRX would be a nice shooting AR.

I really want to hear from the guy who has one, and how it works. I think the guys shooting ARP's 270AR are using grendel mags. I would worry about the little grendel bolt, extra bolt thrust from the fatter case might push it over the edge. The special ARP bolt would be a better design, then no rim turning.

The one I wish was mainstream was 30 RAR parts. That case is the same diameter as the 284 Win, but not rebated. And has special bolt, barrel extension, and upper with larger bore. If I get really bored with mine, re-use the barrel extension on a custom 6mm RAR barrel. Now we're cooking and no worries about the bolt.

But all that jazz is hard to justify when we have a great builder building wssm ar's. Now we're talking 350 fps increase over the grendel case with the same bullet. And the increased power on impact is noticeable on coyotes. Shot 2 with it last spring and got away with it, but I think it could get messy.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett so you are in the crazy category like me.

There's no doubt about that, I think there are a dozen ar's in the safe, and exactly 1 is a 223. And it's only that way because it was the first, and is an early 90's pre-ban colt. Shoots great, is very slow, and doesn't leave the safe very often except when I feel like plinking. There's just sooo many cool options now, I love making odd-ball rounds work in an ar. But I really feel the grendel/6.8 size rounds are the sweet spot when all things are considered.

Back