A year with the lucky duck

Brownie

Well I decided to do a review on the lucky duck after I've IMO put it through some honest to goodness field time over the last year. I purchased the call from a member here and received the call and rechargable battery pack in like new condition. Upon opening the box my first impressions were the plastic felt super cheap the finish was shiny and it was big and heavy. I grabbed a hold of the remote and instantly knew the side buttons were gonna be an issue. Not so much the decoy speed, decoy on and rotate buttons but the presets. (Think accidentally banging a foxpro remote against binos and having foxbang go off). In the box there was also a "tripod" which basically serves the sole purpose of giving the motor a pivot point for the call to rotate without providing much in elevation. The rubber cap that sealed the compartment where the decoy and antenna are stored was lost after the first outing due to poor fitment. The decoy fits snugly in the compartment but the antenna stays on the caller to avoid being lost. I charged the battery and put batteries on the remote and began the hour long process of pissin off the wife and every dog within a 2 mile radius. This thing is LOUD. the remote was pretty easy to navigate and self explanatory. Simple LED display wit 3 different color modes for day and night hunting. sounds categorized in files by prey, vocals ect. This particular unit came loaded with Rick's favorite sounds and I have yet to play all the sounds loaded on the caller. Programming the favorite buttons was simplem enough. Select the sound and hold the button down for a few seconds to assign the sound to the button. Remote range is the best of any call I've had (a few different foxpro, kanati tek, primos, icotec) the sound clarity and volume is excellent and the ability to adjust the gain on what I presume is the amplifier let's you use the sounds at a range and volume that keeps distortion, crackle and white noise to a very very minimum and volume at max. The call has Jack's for external speaker (never gonna need one) and and aux Jack for a second decoy?? Along with the ability to run the call without the remote using only the 4 favorite programmed sounds. I had an old tripod laying around so I attached the pivot stud to the base plate and use it to get the call off the ground a bit. Still need to rattle can it to blend in but it's worked so far. I also added a pop socket to the back of the remote to reduce unintentional button pushing and it's worked great. The remote also comes.with a belt clip which I removed to allow room for the pop socket. Battery life is great with the battery pack. Call ran for 3 days with the decoy on full speed in my basement. Remote lasts about 5 days of hunting before batteries die. Caller and remote both have held up in light rain and freezing conditions. All in all the call is worth the money and I have killed about 25 coyotes over the past year and called in more some missed some busted and some never slowed down enough. Theres room for improvement on the design especially the remote and a smaller package would also be nice even if it sacrificed a little volume. I strap the call and tripod to my pack which helps with the size/weight issue. I think it's worth the money and definitely a competitor to some of the calls costing a couple hundred dollars more. Rick and the guys did a great job and I will continue to test its durability as I'm pretty hard on gear.

Nice write up. I echo your statements 100%. I lost the rubber "plug" as well that goes into the handle. I did have some water get into the battery area after a light rain earlier this year, and had to clean it out. I feel the FoxPro is better built, but the LD in my opinion has better features...sound, distance from controller to caller. In some of my stands I have the caller a good 100+ yards from me. In all fairness, my LD is one of the earliest ones, not sure if that is good or bad. I have the revolution vs the revolt, and I have never used the video/camera option that I have, so not sure if it warrants the extra cost.

Yeah I feel the camera was a little overkill. And hopeful the warranty and customer service is good if the need to use it shall ever arise.

I feel the same way, had mine for about a year also. I have had a few issues with remote connectivity when the call is over a hump or behind me, or sometimes when something is between us like even shooting stick legs. It's not perfect but I have seen a lot more coyotes with it than with my Fusion. I wouldn't give it up that's for sure.

I have a LD also.

No problems at all. I have not lost any parts, or got water in the battery compartment.

I also treat it very well. Keep it battery down in the rain, and take the time to pack and store everything.

It sure can bring the Coyotes in.

I only use 4 sounds for the most part. Lucky Pecker, Cotton Bawl, Female Challenge, & Pup Distress.

Well, I had committed to a Fox Pro a few days ago and now a few "daze" later, looks as if the LD I own will be upgraded from the Rebel to the Revolt. The decisions for toys are worse than who to ask out on the first date to score (back in those days).

Back