I need HELP!! Keep blowing up foxes

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWorst 17 HMR I've seen was a frontal shot at 20 yards. I could not believe how big the hole was.

Like said, most of the time its just a pin hole in and no exit.

Hey Tim, I have never used an HMR on fox but have often wondered how that might work out. Do most of the fox run or drop?

I shot a few with my CZ 17 Remington 25gr HP but found it was about equally destructive as 223 and 204 for me. I ended up selling the 17Rem before I had time to experiment more.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI shot a few with my CZ 17 Remington 25gr HP but found it was about equally destructive as 223 and 204 for me. I ended up selling the 17Rem before I had time to keep experimenting.

Yeah, I have used a .17 Rem and 25 Hornadys on several red and gray fox. Results were mixed but in general it's too much for fox. It might be better suited to load it down if fox is the primary target. However, it's a whole different story with coyotes. Tiny entrance and no exit, with most just dropping right there.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWorst 17 HMR I've seen was a frontal shot at 20 yards. I could not believe how big the hole was.

Like said, most of the time its just a pin hole in and no exit.

Hey Tim, I have never used an HMR on fox but have often wondered how that might work out. Do most of the fox run or drop?

David, more are DRT than not.

I use a 204 ruger using blue dot powder. I keep the velocities around 2700 fps and this seems to work great for grey fox. Usually produces an exit on a broadside hit the size of a dime maybe a quarter at most if you hit some bone. Surprisingly they have the same point of impact as my full loads with h322 out to 100. Just have to be careful when working with blue dot. There's a better chance of a double charge.

I've let a lot of fox pass by this season, because all I've had was my .243 calling for coyotes. However, the other night I went out specifically for fox, and wanted to try my new Zepp's Cat Rattler. I made one stand and called a red in within 5 minutes.

The problem I've found with PA fox is that broadside shots are tough, since they come straight in to lip squeaks and sometimes are hard to stop. This fox stopped around 60 yards and I shot it with my .17 Hornet. First look seemed amazing...then I rolled it over.

If you all had to pick ONE fox caliber what would it be? No shotguns, because I hate using a shotgun and save skulls. My Hornet is great for chucks, but [beeep] on fox.

.17 HMR, .17 WSM, or .22 Mag?

Last edited:
.17 HMR in my opinion is the perfect fox caliber. I have never had a blow up or runner on fox that I have connected with. I typically run a .222 which will turn about 1/5 inside out if I hit solid bone. But it is perfect for my area and the coyotes, so I play those odds.

Back