Midway is clearancing out their 243 WSSM brass for $26 per 50!

Haven't used the Winchester brass because it frequently got bad reviews. The Hornady brass quality is pretty good and I've had no issues with it yet. In 6mm Creedmoor I've used both Hornady and Lapua SRP brass, and while the Hornady won't be mistaken for Lapua, the quality is fine and accuracy was outstanding.

Last edited:
The big win for the 243 WSSM over 6mm Creedmoor or a standard 243 is that it can be chambered in an ar-15 platform. Otherwise, the latter two rounds have similar ballistics albeit in a larger, heavier rifle platform.

one of these days I want to do a WSSM just for the fun of it. this makes me want to buy brass even though I don't need it. its too bad its christmas time and I have no extra money.

A word to the wise. Buy enough brass ahead of buying the rifle or upper. Brass availability has been spotty at best. If midway is doing clearance, that might be a signal that brass availability could become problematic. I bought 250 pieces of 243 WSSM brass before I even ordered my dies and D-Tech 243 WSSM upper. Which shoots fabulously through the Shilen 1:8" select match barrel. 95gr Sierra OTM and TMK rounds fit within mag length and are supersonic past 1000 yards.

I have plenty of brass to burn out at least one barrel. But the reason i asked was because I assume since hornady jumped in the game that maybe we wont have the availability issue anymore. I wouldn’t want to switch now but if Winchester dumps it again for 5 years then I would probably go to hornady.

I don't think there will be an issue now until the next scare, then they will have to go back to making the most popular stuff. Hornady is picking up the ball on a whole lot of oddball rounds it seems. Which is a good thing IMO.

I have not tried the Hdy wssm yet, and have more than enough winchester to get me by for this barrel.

They do that just to churn the inventory at times. I've bought "clearnce" Redding bushing dies several times and they have the same ones 45 days later. Watch them on ammunition and you can get great bargains.

Greg

I finally couldn't pass it up and order 200 pcs. Winchester is down to $16 something per 50. Free shipping also.

Back