New Rig

blueridge2

Setting up a new rifle (223) for nighttime hunting. Gonna equip with a wicked light. Looking at 200yd max shots.. Scope recommendations? Wondering if an illuminated reticle wouldn't be nice?

Depends on how far you want to shoot and weight. I have a Millet 4-16x50 IR and love it for night hunting. It's reticle is green and is easy to see when using a red light. I also like to be able to zoom in.

I also use my .308 AR-10, with a Nikon 4-12x40 Coyote special. it's not illuminated, but the quick target reticle is easy to see at night in the red light.

my gun mounted red light claimed it will go out 300 yds. however ive found that it only illuminates the animal body sufficient to shoot out to about 120 yards. (the green filter sines further) eyes obviously shine from 300 or so. food for thought. my 3-9x40 Leupold vx1 keeps the ar rig light

I run a white light for shooting and a red light for scanning. The problem I have with lights at distance is if the light and scope line up at 100 they dont at farther ranges. It's still suitable ar distancen but takes a little more effort since the animal isnt always centered in the beam. If you can run 2 lights I recommend a white one for shooting or having a 2nd guy running the light to get the best results. That's just been my experience. As far as scopes I run 3x9 and 4x12 and have never needed or used an IR. More batteries and more stuff to remember to turn off.

I went down this path when I first built a coyote rifle for night hunting. It started with a Wicked light that ran me $100 new. It sucked, so I bought a Wicked A67 with adjustable mount, because the first Wicked didn't line up. It sucked even worse.

Finally, I said screw this, because I couldn't ID animals that hung up past 175 yards. I bought a Coyote Light, and a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm and haven't looked back, and don't plan on changing my set up. I thought I was having issues with my scope, but it turned out to be my rifle. So, I highly recommend this scope for night hunting. If an animal turns broadside (I have astigmatism, which makes it hard when an animal looks at me because of the flare off their eyes), I can positively ID them out to about 500-600 yards with this set up. It's amazing the difference a good light and scope make at night. I'd never take those shots, but it sure helps when you're calling, and calling, and calling and then you realize it's a deer putting it's head up and down messing with you. Anymore I just pull up and ID the animal with ease.

Spend good money on your light and scope. If you decide you don't like it, you'll most likely recover 85% of your initial cost or more. But, I'll say this much, once you buy good glass, you'll never buy cheap glass again, unless it's for a plinker.

I have been night hunting since 1968, back then we only used white lights. I stopped hunting for over 30 years and started again in Texas for about 4 years, again used white lights. I started again last year and EVERY body is using RED and GREEN lights!!

I just can't see the animal well enough with red or green light so I use a white light to shoot with. I have a white light mounted on my bi-pod that follows the rifle as I point it. In California, we are not allowed to mount a light on to our rifles so it goes on my bi-pod.

Last edited:
I've used nearly the same set-up your are describing the past 3 years. I have the red "ambush" light but it still has the intensity control (IC) which is much better than the 3 click brightness controls. Learning to keep it as low as possible while scanning just looking for eye shine, then gradually increasing it prior to shooting. I use the headlight for scanning so I'm not moving the gun all over. The vortex crossfire with the "v-brite" illuminated center dot works well at night. I have the 50mm and the "hog hunter" with the 56mm lens.

Last edited:
It took me a while to get used to red, but I love it. My Wicked had three color options on a dial and I did not care for white at all.

I’ve even let non-hunters look at deer (in my yard) through my setup and everyone of them said it looked like day time. Even my dad who is almost 60 with aging eyes.

I should add: the deer were 100 yards away, laying down.

Last edited:
Back