143 Eld-x

emptymag

MV 2650fps. Impact velocity was about 2365fps at 200yards.

154epgn.jpg

2ytv30g.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: colsonWhat did you shoot with that bullet?

Plastic milk jugs full of water. Stopped in the 5th one.

Originally Posted By: Boomstickwish you would have said 'deer'

I’ve shot 4 whitetail deer with them from 185-315 yards. All bullets passed through.

Originally Posted By: emptymagOriginally Posted By: Boomstickwish you would have said 'deer'

I’ve shot 4 whitetail deer with them from 185-315 yards. All bullets passed through.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I think I'm done with the 140SST. 6 deer, never had an exit. Even with a neck shot.

Shot 2 deer with a 143gr ELD-X from my 264 win mag last year. The first I hit the center of the shoulder on a really big bodied buck at 150 yards. He had just started running and I led him a shade to much. The bullet killed him in his tracks but there wasn't anything to recover but a few pieces of the jacket. The MV was 3240fps, the impact velocity was around 3000fps.

The second was a doe at 321yds. She was quartering toward me and downhill and the bullet entered high in the front of her chest and exited through the bottom of her chest in her lungs. It then broke a back leg on it's way into the ground. I did not recover that bullet but it looked like it did a nice job by the wound channel. She also dropped right there. Impact velocity should have been around 2750fps.

From my limited experience so far they do better at lower velocity as expected. I think if I stayed off bone the close shot would have been better. Still maybe a better fit for a 6.5 Creedmoor's speed than the 264 mag's. I'll hopefully get some more experience with them during antlerless season.

There is an interesting video on you-tube where a guy is shooting 6.5 bullets into ballistic gelatin. The 140 SST consistently penetrated deeper than the 143 ELD-X. I have taken two bucks with the ELD-X, 6.5 Creedmoor combination and have no complaints, they performed as they should.

Originally Posted By: BoomstickOriginally Posted By: emptymagOriginally Posted By: Boomstickwish you would have said 'deer'

That's what I was hoping to hear. I think I'm done with the 140SST. 6 deer, never had an exit. Even with a neck shot.

The 129 American Whitetail didn't exit for me. Quartering towards bullet was found in flank. That was my first deer with the 6.5. My uncle has had good success with the 143.

Back