Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI'm pretty convinced it isn't going to go away. Heck you can still get the HM2 stuff.

Greg

True. I think the HM2 is on it's way out though. I'll probably end up going for it...

I have a neighbor who has the Ruger in stainless steel with a walnut stock and it is a very good shooter. He's happy with it...

That said, I've been eyeing the Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall Hunter Rimfire in .17 WSM Rifle. It looks like a nice package.

I worked with a buddy's Franklin Armory 17 wsm. Gas operated believe it or not. In fact it was a little over gassed and malfunctioning but I got it tamed down with more buffer weights. It shot ok with the ammo he had but it wasn't world shattering.

I like price of the hmr stuff a lot better but the wsm is definitely a step up in power. If I could figure out an AR in 17 Hornet it would be pretty sweet.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanI have a neighbor who has the Ruger in stainless steel with a walnut stock and it is a very good shooter. He's happy with it...

That said, I've been eyeing the Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall Hunter Rimfire in .17 WSM Rifle. It looks like a nice package.

They have one of the Winchesters at one of the LGS in Tulsa. Its a very nice looking rifle for sure but its not cheap either. I like it best of all the WSM's I've seen.

I think it probably is. I don't have one yet but I will eventually. Probably either the Franklin Armory or Volquertsen semi auto. If you get one you'll throw rocks at the .17HMR.

I have a picture of a beaver and an armadillo I shot with my buddies B-Mag. It looks like that diller got shot with a .204 Ruger....I say that because I've shot one with one of those too and it wasn't in any worse shape than the other.

Last edited:
Ordered an MGM Contender G2 barrel in one. Should be here in the next week or so. Many areas where I hunt are rimfire only at nite. Looking forward to seeing how it does with a thermal scope...

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI never caught the 17 HMR bug but this one sure got my attention.

Greg
Same here. It had alot of great features I just dont have a need/want for pills that light.

Originally Posted By: greengt88I wish a better bolt action platform would be developed for 17WSM, B Mag and Ruger are about it. And neither are great.
I think I saw a Winchester Low Wall in this caliber for north of $1,200. Beautiful firearm though

I'd like to see Henry make a lever 17 wsm. I even contacted Henry when the 17 wsm first came out and they stated at the time that they had no plans to build them. Hopefully that may change soon.

I think the staying power of the 17wsm is on the "iffy" side,
especially when so many gun manufacturers are staying away from
production. It got a black eye right away with the problems of
the first B-mags. I like the Savage CF's, but just handling a
B-mag turned me off....may have been made by Mattel as far as I
was concerned.

Of the 17RF's, the one most likely to stay is the hmr. The wsm
is a bit much for small game and a bit light for coyotes, even
though it's possible with either. Think I'll stay happy with my
HMR.

Originally Posted By: Remington92I had a Bmag and wasnt overly impressed by accuracy, extra noise, or ammo costs. I shoot exclusively HMR now for rimfires.

If my .17 HMR is not quite enough I grab my .17 Hornet. If that is not quite adequte yet I can put my .17 Remington into play. If that's not enough for what I shoot at it's a very rare day.

The real space for the 17WSM is in states with rimfire only regulations, IMO. H*ll I would have gotten one if my state lifted the 22LR restriction and made it "any rimfire". (night hunting regs)

The fact it's been out this long and their's still only two real options (three really, I know. But whos going to spend over a grand on the AR version) to me says it doesn't have much interest. I'm actually surprised more companies haven't made "affordable" bolt guns in this caliber, it has that cool factor going for it. The Ruger is a nice firearm but it's too costly for the average guy buying a rimfire. Everyone interested in the caliber has heard enough bad things about the Savage.

I'd say it's a coin flip if it survives.

Back