Getting complacent

Originally Posted By: AWSI'm always looking for new stands. I go on hunting trips, I might hit the same stand twice in a week and not hunt it again for a year or two. I spend a lot of time studying maps and the first day or two of a trip I might just drive a lot of the country I've picked and mark stands on my maps. If a spot really yells "Hunt Here" I'll stop during scouting and hunt it. Many times after calling a stand I'll walk the area to see if there was a better place to set up. If I'm in country that is called a lot I look for spot that most coyote hunters won't bother with.

I have books of public lands maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, UT, NM and I've just started to put together one for CO as I think I'll be spending some time there. I usually hunt 3-5 different states every year.

I really enjoy cold calling new areas, to me it is an accomplishment to be able to call coyotes in country I've never hunted before.

I live in my hunting truck for as much as 6 months of the year between coyote, bird hunting and fishing. My boat has locking cargo holds so I can just park it along side the road and hunt coyotes or birds and not have to worry about anything disappearing. Since I've put a furnace and solar panel in it I sleep right where I'm going to hunt. There is free camping all over the country.

That is a great looking coyote AWS and great advice also. I appreciate you getting back to me and I will be sure to try and apply it. Thanks for getting back to me.

Originally Posted By: OchocobullOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoI will call previous successful stands a couple of times each season. They usually pay off repeatedly. I just don't hit them too often or too close together. That tends to burn out an area.

As for hearing them howl, sure, that let's you know their in the area. But will they come to the call? No guarantees. So I cold call a lot. I spend a bit of time satellite scouting on Google earth looking for those features that I know will hold coyotes. How do I know what those features are? I look back at previous, successful stands and look for those features.

I don't usually locate howl before I make my stand. During mating season, I will start my stand with an invitation howl, but not a locator. They won't often come to a locating call.

Great advice Snowman I really appreciate you getting back to me. Thanks again.

My pleasure. Just trying to give back. There were plenty of guys who helped me out in my early days.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterLast year I did a lot of scouting in the winter and I found coyote tracks on every property I hunt. Since then I’ve simply concluded coyotes are everywhere, all the time, and have began figuring out how to get them to commit to a call. In my area if it’s not hunting an open field at night, then it has to be in the thick stuff. The coyotes have seemingly taken up residency in the deepest, densest sections of woods and pushed the fox to the edges. I usually won’t cut a coyote track until I’m a good 500-600 yards from any road.

I like that idea also Flesh Eater. I have noticed that where I live also. We can only call in the daytime on public land so I am kind of stuck that way. I used to setup on what we call scab flats around here just open areas with rock and juniper surrounded by trees. Now it seems you have to get into the smaller openings in the trees or the coyotes aren't coming in. Thanks for the info though I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: hm1996Bob,...those crafty little buggers have learned to hack game cams...
Yep HM, caught this one in the act :
jamming my trail-cam via blue-tooth controlled optical nerve laser countermeasures.

164772312.uOwSdgIu.halos.JPG

(sorry for the diversion, back to OP..)

Hijack away Bob I could look at trail camera pictures all day.

Last edited:
Back