Your ideal coyote round?

I like the 22-250 for reaching out there. But the .223 beats it for saving fur,or has for me so far. The 22-250 is about 50/50 as far as saving fur goes. I'm still testing out different bullets trying to get consistent results. If I could find a bullet that doesn't tear things up I'd shoot a 22-250 most of the time. But that's proving to be a hit and miss situation.

I like 6DTI for calling. For my baitpile I rotate between 223ai, 22-250ai, 20 practical. I haven't tried anything heavier than 55's in any of them though. I might have to try stepping on the gas with the 22-250ai and some 69's. Sounds interesting.

1. and 2. for me (22 mag. back then) it is very hard to get away from that. Guess I"m programmed. With fur not worth much around here the .223 is more practical now. But, the 17 Rem. and the 204 are still my go to calibers.

I have a number of guns that are pretty much just for hunting coyotes. Time of the year, terrain, frame of mind that day usually dictate what I'm shooting.

I love hunting with my little Sako Mannlicher in 222 Rem w/52gr Speer FB HP usually when the ground is bare and the shots are closer in

With snow on the ground and more open country my 22-204 w/hot stepping 40gr NBT(4000fps).

For off season, open country coyotes a 22-250 LVSF clone with again the 52gr Speer, the 6x45(55gr NBT0, 6mm-204(55gr NBT Lead Free) and the 25-204(85gr NBT) go along when I can't save the hides.

For thick country it is the combo guns 12ga/5.6x50R Mag(52gr Speer), 12ga/22 Highpower(55gr Buffalo Arms) and a 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R(90gr Speer HP resized to .260) The 12ga/22 Sav HP gets a lot of travel time as it has a spare set of 12ga/12ga barrels for impromptu bird hunts, SP and skeet.

They all do a great job of killing coyotes. TG weekend I took out a little Weatherby Vanguard Youth in 223(45gr HP White box Win) DRT'd the only coyote I shot at nice little rifle.

They all do the job asked of them and I have a built in gun locker in the truck so I usually have three along for the different types of terrain I'll be hunting or if I'm hunting with a partner.

This year is a slow year for me with the move to a new home in another state. My hunting vehicle is at my old place yet and I won't have it back until March so is most of my ammo hence the White Box 223. Look out next season, will have a new fur shed and I'm smack dab in the middle of coyote heaven.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI like the 22-250 for reaching out there. But the .223 beats it for saving fur,or has for me so far. The 22-250 is about 50/50 as far as saving fur goes. I'm still testing out different bullets trying to get consistent results. If I could find a bullet that doesn't tear things up I'd shoot a 22-250 most of the time. But that's proving to be a hit and miss situation.

Barnes TSX or TTSX. They wallop them and are 100% consistent. Caliber size hole in and dime to quarter at most out.

It’s been a 14 and 12 twist 22-250 for me mostly with the 52gr Speer that AWS mentioned.
Lately been enjoying a new 223 8twist with Sierra 69 match kings.

22-250 with a 50grn Vmax at 3,750fps.
25-06 with an 80grn TTSX at 3,560fps for windy days of possible long shot stands.

I always have a 223 zero'd with 50 or 55grn Vmax's that I take every now and then.

For the most part it has been a 222 remington with a 50gr hornady spsx, then an 8 twist tikka t3 in 223 shooting 60gr vmax and 69gr match kings, now a 204 ruger with the 35gr berger, and in the works a 17 remington

I like my 243 for watching them crumple but a nasty exit is the only downfall.
I like my 204 for hearing the bullet smack and less mess.

Once I get my 6x45 load development figured out, I will try it out on a dog. So far best grouping is with 70gr tnt. Shot some sierra 75 hp and horn 87 bthp yesterday. It didn't like either of those flavors.

I have a several varmint rifles but when the SHTF, I always reach for my 220 Swift loaded with Sierra 55gr HPBT's. I have a CDS dial matched to my load and it is deadly and fur friendly.

I use a 22 Creedmoor with 77 grain TMK when I don't care about the fur. If I want the fur, I use a 70 grain TSX. The 77 tipped match king at a little over 3500 fps does well in the wind.

I have yet to see or shoot a coyote, always seem to end up with red foxes.
But i carry either a CZ 455 American .22WMR or a Bushmaster Varminter in plain old .223.

CCI 30gr Maxi Mag HP+V for the 22WMR
Hornady 55gr V or Z-Max

Cant comment on fur damage on yotes, 22wmr obviously is none, and ive been lucky so far with the Vmax on fox.

I shot one Halloween night that i lip squeeked in from 150ish yds, and shot him at 15yds...No blood, couldnt find entrance or exit hole anywhere.

Assume this is normal at that range?

Ideally it would shoot flat, out to 600 yds, and not be affected by the wind. A small entry and never exit, it would never splash even when it hit bone. It also hasn't been invented yet so I use a 223 shooting sierra #1365.

Originally Posted By: Redneckbmxer24Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI like the 22-250 for reaching out there. But the .223 beats it for saving fur,or has for me so far. The 22-250 is about 50/50 as far as saving fur goes. I'm still testing out different bullets trying to get consistent results. If I could find a bullet that doesn't tear things up I'd shoot a 22-250 most of the time. But that's proving to be a hit and miss situation.

Barnes TSX or TTSX. They wallop them and are 100% consistent. Caliber size hole in and dime to quarter at most out.
I'll have to get my hands on some and try them out. Might even bust a few hogs with them to see how they do. Thanks.

I've shot most of my coyotes with a .223 with various 50gr bullets. Then switched over to heavier bullets, 60-65gr. Usually less pelt damage and has worked on a few whitetails as well.

I'm always playing with my setup though. Just fun to tinker with stuff.

We don't usually get fur worth saving out here. For me, it's terminal ballistics.

I usually either run my .308 running Hornady Whitetail 150gr SP's or my 6.5Grendel running Hornady 123gr SST's

But I do loves me some shotgun coyotes. #4 buckshot out of my 12 gauge drops them...

Back