Contact?

Just thinking about infinite space makes my brain hurt. As a Christian the coincidences that put our planet in the perfect place in so many ways is not coincidental, but the immensity and scope of the universe just makes me think how could any one thing control it all! But theirs no way a bee could learn to make the dimensions to store honey and teach it to its young , someone put the dna in these animals that gives them the means to live.I compare dna to a computer chip, someone programmed it in.Sorry for my rant but my BRAIN hurts thinking about it !

I think you're underestimating infinity.
smile.gif

A scientific theory is not the end result of a scientific conclusion. Theories can be proven or rejected, just like a hypotheses can be proven or rejected. Scientific theories can be improved, modified or rejected as more information is gathered or existing information disproved.

Yep. Scientific theories, [beeep] scientific facts can and should be modified as new information is found. Our 'facts' are only as good as our ability to understand them. That doesn't make them wrong, it only means that we know more about it now than we did before. In the fullness of time I wouldn't be surprised if what we know now is drastically different than what we will know.

My wife is a church person. I'm pretty much agnostic. We have a lot on our plate unfortunately and she feels better going to church than not going. As long as it helps her, I'm not going to talk down about it regardless of my thoughts.

One of the interesting things in the way I view things though is it's not too difficult associating what I 'know' from science with what others 'know' about god. And throw in what I know about human nature and many of the athiest arguments become fairly weak.

One of my favorite 'there is no god' arguments falls along the line of "If there's a god, let him show himself NOW! Nothing? See proof of absence." Except it's not. If we're honestly talking about a being that can create the universe it's incredibly self centered to believe he should prove himself to you. It doesn't matter to me, at all, if an ant is screaming at the sky for me to prove myself. I am (I think) and I don't need to prove it. Proof or not, won't stop me from stepping on you and not even knowing I did it.

Similarly, not seeing essentially a signature on our planet. Just because I 'make' something doesn't mean I touched it. If I stand at the top of a snow covered hill and roll a snowball down it, and it gathers snow, and becomes an giant snow boulder eventually I both made and didn't make it. I started things in motion, but didn't actually do anything else. I may have wanted a boulder, but what snow was picked up, where the ball actually went, I didn't influence it. And nothing stops me from throwing a 2nd or a third snowball and ending up with a lot of boulders at the bottom of the hill.

And nothing says a clump of snow didn't fall off a tree and start rolling. Maybe someone started it, maybe not. [beeep] if I know. I'm just smart enough to know that I don't know
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: NdIndyMaybe someone started it, maybe not. [beeep] if I know. I'm just smart enough to know that I don't know
laugh.gif

Yep.
And nobody else knows.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: NdIndyMaybe someone started it, maybe not. [beeep] if I know. I'm just smart enough to know that I don't know
laugh.gif

Yep.
And nobody else knows.

So true. For more than 100 years Einstein's Theory of Relativity was accepted as fact. After all Einstein is the smartest genius in modernity. But, only recently scientists have realized that Einstein's Theory is flawed, deeply flawed. Theories are subject to change and that includes the Theory of Evolution.

Back