Hornady ELD match ammo for coyotes???

Galen

Ok so as the title says what are your thoughts on this ammo out of a .223 for coyotes?

I shoot a Daniel Defense with a 1/7 twist which shoot's the heavy 73 grain ELD match ammo like a dream. .
I have been using some 60 grain pills and they have been doing "ok" but definitely not as tight as this stuff so any input you have would be much appreciated!

Shoot it!!! I think You will be satisfied with the results. I have lots of experience with the Amax bullet. Lots of coyotes shot with the 52 and killed deer with the 168's. The ELD-M is just the new tip in these bullets. Let us know how you turn out!!

Originally Posted By: baitpileShoot it!!! I think You will be satisfied with the results. I have lots of experience with the Amax bullet. Lots of coyotes shot with the 52 and killed deer with the 168's. The ELD-M is just the new tip in these bullets. Let us know how you turn out!!

Thanks for the reply!
I've been doing some research and people have been claiming the A-max can be kind of hit or miss when it comes to expansion but i'll have to try em out myself I guess
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GalenOriginally Posted By: baitpileShoot it!!! I think You will be satisfied with the results. I have lots of experience with the Amax bullet. Lots of coyotes shot with the 52 and killed deer with the 168's. The ELD-M is just the new tip in these bullets. Let us know how you turn out!!

Thanks for the reply!
I've been doing some research and people have been claiming the A-max can be kind of hit or miss when it comes to expansion but i'll have to try em out myself I guess
smile.gif

Yes, you really do need to try them for yourself. The only runners that I saw from the 6.5Grendel were with the Amax bullet. The SST leveled them. The ELD is the new Amax and the ELDX is the new SST. I don't think that they offer the ELDX in the .223 but they do offer the 73gr FTX which is a better expanding bullet.

But you're really not going to know until you hit fur with it as to whether it's going to work or not. But please let us know what you find out.

Snow,
What has been your outcome on fur with the SST? I will admit that with the Amax, I may have had some run 20-30 yds, but the insides were just soup...great on saving fur. Now, having said all this, I have also gotten away from all the Vmax stuff as has been discussed a lot on here. Its not to say that the Amax has not changed in the last 10 years or...when it went ELD-M. Just have to give them a whirl.

SST's are pretty tough on fur. They expand quite a bit. IF you can get a shot and keep it inside, they are great. But if they pass through, the exit is pretty bad.

Well I took the Ammo out tonight and made one stand and had a big ole female come on in, Not 100% sure on shot distance but I figured it was around 170-180 yards.. I took a quartering frontal shot and I heard the ever so pleasant meat report and she was down, No flopping or running just down..

Almost no fur damage to speak of, bullet exited right behind off side shoulder and it was probably a little smaller then a golf ball sized exit - entrance was a pin hole and when I picked her up she had nothing but soup on her inside, Could hear it sloshing around

It was a good first experience with the round but one dog doesn't convince me yet!

2416.jpg

I shot a female coyote at 550yds with my 6mm Remington 8 twist, 108 eld there was not an exit. She was facing me sitting down, right in the chest. She never moved, just fell over.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaI shot a female coyote at 550yds with my 6mm Remington 8 twist, 108 eld there was not an exit. She was facing me sitting down, right in the chest. She never moved, just fell over.

Awesome i'm hoping or some more of the same!

I've shot a pile of coyotes with the 52 gr amax and now 52 eldm out of a 22-250 from 3825 to 3935fps and had awesome results. DRT pretty much every time.

I use the same load and had the same accuracy with both the eldm and amax I will say there is a difference on coyotes between the 2 the amax almost always exited with large gory exits, and the eldm virtually never does. Though both kill well. I know others have said there is no difference but that is one noticeable difference in my experience at least its a good difference.

I also shot quite a few with the 123 amax out of a 6.5 creed running 2900+ as expected lots of carnage. Haven't got around to trying the 123 eldm yet as I have a good supply of amax left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FairChase93I've shot a pile of coyotes with the 52 gr amax and now 52 eldm out of a 22-250 from 3825 to 3935fps and had awesome results. DRT pretty much every time.

I use the same load and had the same accuracy with both the eldm and amax I will say there is a difference on coyotes between the 2 the amax almost always exited with large gory exits, and the eldm virtually never does. Though both kill well. I know others have said there is no difference but that is one noticeable difference in my experience at least its a good difference.

I also shot quite a few with the 123 amax out of a 6.5 creed running 2900+ as expected lots of carnage. Haven't got around to trying the 123 eldm yet as I have a good supply of amax left.

Awesome thanks for all the insight on this round!

One question I had is would I be better off running these ELD rounds in the superformance version or the regular?
I'd expect more rapid expansion from the superformance but my train of thought may be way off track to?

Originally Posted By: GalenOriginally Posted By: FairChase93I've shot a pile of coyotes with the 52 gr amax and now 52 eldm out of a 22-250 from 3825 to 3935fps and had awesome results. DRT pretty much every time.

Awesome thanks for all the insight on this round!

One question I had is would I be better off running these ELD rounds in the superformance version or the regular?
I'd expect more rapid expansion from the superformance but my train of thought may be way off track to?

I would say whuchever shot best in your gun but that's just me.

Just another update for anyone that was curious about this round out the .223
I made another stand tonight and had two shots at approx. 110-120 yards and both of these dogs were DRT with what i'd call minimum fur damage.. Mabey in between a Golf ball / Baseball hole out of the opposite side and once again an absolute slosh fest inside of the dogs

2421.jpg

Back