Foaming bore cleaner

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker... diatomaceous earth. I wonder how hard it is on steel.

Diatomaceous earth is in several bore cleaners. JB paste for one.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Rock Knocker... diatomaceous earth. I wonder how hard it is on steel.

Diatomaceous earth is in several bore cleaners. JB paste for one.

- DAA

And also works well as an alternative to chemicals for insect control!

Cleaning rifle barrels is one area where shooters are learning fast. Old habits, wives tales, are being upgraded by this simple and very effective bore scope. This bore scope is almost a must for guys shooting over bore cartridges because of how bad they powder foul.

Lyman Bore scope-$199 from brownell's

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...-prod81507.aspx

All I can say is that one picture is worth a thousand words.

Have you ever wondered how those guys that shoot the 338 Lapua and 50 bmg clean their rifles shooting from between 120-220g of powder per shell? You know that the powder fouling is unreal.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman

And all I can say if if you think that you have a clean barrel but wonder why your rifle is not shooting well then buy a bore scope then find out why. My crappy shooting guns were not anywhere near clean and my Lyman not only showed me where my barrel needed further cleaning it showed me what kind of fouling it was. You can have all the copper out of a barrel and still have it heavily fouled with carbon. Once your barrel is copper free and carbon free then and only then will it shoot those amazing groups again.

+1 Ackleyman & Rusty! Brownells also offering $10 off on $75 purchase and free shipping w/promotional code @ site.
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: ackleymanCleaning rifle barrels is one area where shooters are learning fast. Old habits, wives tales, are being upgraded by this simple and very effective bore scope. This bore scope is almost a must for guys shooting over bore cartridges because of how bad they powder foul.

Have you ever wondered how those guys that shoot the 338 Lapua and 50 bmg clean their rifles shooting from between 120-220g of powder per shell? You know that the powder fouling is unreal.

Just ordered this a few minutes ago. Add a brush and you can get $25 off and free shipping. Just another way to go farther down the rabbit hole. Should be interesting anyway.

[beeep], y'all are gonna cost me some more money. I have put off a bore scope for some time,but the more I read it may be more of a necessity than we want to think.

Has anyone used the Hoppes #9 foam? I am wondering if it would work well for the carbon aspect of cleaning after de-coppering with Wipe-Out.

In all honesty I removed my action from my ruger RAR the other day after I sat in the rainy slush to give it a good oiling. I found some foam build up I missed on the underside of the action next to the trigger area. Gummy build up again. Won't come off with rem oil or my fingernail. Also most looked like it stained the blueing. I'll go invest in a rod and make sure my action us out of the stock when I use this stuff from now on so in case I get a little sloppy I can clean it off before it dries. I didn't try gun scrubber on it yet but I'm sure it will take it off pretty easy. I'll have to see if stained the bluing when I get it off

Last edited:
I seem to be in the minority, but I hate the spray foam, at least the one I've tried. Gunslick I think. I just seem to get it everywhere. It does seem to do ok on copper at least, but no better than Eliminator. Actually copper is a very small problem in most of my barrels, it's the carbon that gets baked on that can be the tough one. Eliminator carbon remover, brushes, and if all else fails jb bore bright on a patch around a brush seems to work.

Sportsmans had a ton of it yesterday. I did pick up soem Tactical Advantage to test how the Gunslick was doing. I found that the Gnslick had done a great job on my 22-NXS with the TA showing zero copper or powder fouling. The patches on them came out lily white. This was what I had seen before using a test run of SWEETS after using the GFBC.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI seem to be in the minority, but I hate the spray foam, at least the one I've tried. Gunslick I think. I just seem to get it everywhere. It does seem to do ok on copper at least, but no better than Eliminator. Actually copper is a very small problem in most of my barrels, it's the carbon that gets baked on that can be the tough one. Eliminator carbon remover, brushes, and if all else fails jb bore bright on a patch around a brush seems to work.

Tactical Advantage on a stiff blue Iosso nylon brush works better than anything I've used on carbon and also takes out any copper if left a while to soak. Apply w/wet brush and make 6-8 passes through bore and let sit (overnight safe and most efficient).

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-...FhoCy-YQAvD_BwE

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996[

Tactical Advantage on a stiff blue Iosso nylon brush works better than anything I've used on carbon and also takes out any copper if left a while to soak. Apply w/wet brush and make 6-8 passes through bore and let sit (overnight safe and most efficient).

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-...FhoCy-YQAvD_BwE

Regards,
hm [/quote]

Thnaks for the tip. I did leave it in over night so I am happy. I'm working over my copper pig AR right now as I type and it is just about done with much improvement.

Greg

Quote:I did leave it in over night so I am happy. I'm working over my copper pig AR right now as I type and it is just about done with much improvement.

Greg

I shoot a couple of Savages....great testing ground.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Back