Baiting

Week- You are right! I have more bait than I know what to do with. Most of the early season deer bait is in the freezer for late predator season. I've been using, along side deer carcasses, geese and I picked up a beaver and 6 more deer yesterday. Ugggh!
6mm- Possum Plague, Marsupial Mania - way too many. Several of the jacks this year have been huge. Too bad their fur isn't marketable, at least not that I'm aware.
And I certainly have no desire to eat one.
Haven't got THAT hungry yet.

Just a note Gobbler about the X-Sight, mine developed problems and had to go back to the company. I ended up upgrading to the new 4k. Just got it today so I have some work to do to mount it and set it up.

GobblerG, you ought to get that ol' gimpy coyote in there with all that bait for them. I sure hope he shows up at your pile this year and brings a friend. Seems like those possums come through in waves and there seems to be a never ending supply of them. I've got two reds and two grays that come about every night, but I've been giving them a pass. They're about to eat me out of my bait supply every night. I really don't mind so much though because the crows and starlings get the remainder every morning anyway.

GG I haven't shot any opossums yet this year, only seems to be a few around. Last year probably a dozen bit the dust three in one night. Owen I gave the fox a pass last year, this year I've taken 2 and have a third coming in, only gonna pull the trigger if the cameras on. I haven't seen a coyote since late summer, and he was pretty bold

Last edited:

Seems I have neglected keeping the site baited this year, but still have a few coyotes around. Two were at the bait site on the 1st. My son's trail camera got three together recently and only about 150 - 200 yards or so from the cabin.

I have red fox visiting fairly often and an occasional gray, but like DoubleUp I try to give them a pass unless they become such a pest that I can't hunt for them. I may take one or two with the new equipment though.

Excellent work everybody!!! Way to to go GG on protecting the fur. Actually, we do sell possum hides out here...Maybe a buck or two if you take the time to skin them. It has been VERY slow on my bait for a loooooong time now. I guess I'm paying for a banner year last year. As everybody has mentioned...we too, are getting through our last week of shotgun deer season, so lots of food everywhere. Patience I guess... Stay after em!!!

Originally Posted By: gobblergetter6mm - I'm curious what went south with your x-sight?

The scope would lock up occasionally and buttons not function. I would unplug the auxillary battery source to power it down, then boot it back up. That fixed the problem probably 95% of the time on the first try. Sometimes I had to repeate but could always get it to working. Finally it locked up for good and buttons became unresponsive. Powering down and booting back up didn't solve it. After returning it to ATN, the rep. said the scope could not be repaired and that they would replace it with a new scope. I chose to upgrade to the 4k. Got the new scope yesterday and so far like it. It boots up a bit faster than the gen 2 model and the eye relief is definitely better, which helps eyeglass wearers like me. The menu looks to be essentially the same as the gen 2, so there isn't much of a learning curve to deal with. Time will tell how the scope works out.

As to the old X-Sight 2, I surprisingly liked it. I was very impressed with the ballistic calculator. It flat out worked and made hitting small targets at varying distances easy. I used it in Georgia back in May to take 4 hogs, head shooting all from as close as 16 yards to 120. The POI was spot on when I used the ballistic calculator.

Personally I think ATN has a great concept in the X-Sight and seem to be working through some of the glitches that have plagued the scope. If they can get the scope to the point of being trouble free or relatively so, they will have a real winner.

6mm - Sorry to hear the Gen 2 didn't work out so good for you. But, at least you now have the latest and greatest version with, hopefully, all the bugs worked out. The eyepiece on the x-sight is certainly something I recon with every time. Before I can look in the scope, I have to pop off the glasses to look see. Hate to admit that's my eye problem and not the scope so much.
I'll be anxious to hear your take on ATN's 4K once everything is up and running. Keep us posted.

Finally a Red! After our snow, this one showed up hungry and wanted some goose. He passed by the bait pile while I was hunting last night, but I was unable to get a shot.

Last edited:
I saw another one but had to pass on the shot. I have close neighbors and it was 11:39 PM when the alarm sounded tonight. I like them to show before 10PM if I plan to shoot. I apologize for the shaky video, I was holding the gun freehand at 90 yards. Maybe he will come earlier tomorrow night. Looks like a nice fat one to me. X-Sight II 3x14. I need to work on my IR adjustment.

6mm, I took the Pulsar Apex out twice now. The first time I couldn't ID the coyote 100% so I let him go. Last night I called one in and missed due to a comedy of errors. The coyote all but died for me! LOL

I know this is a baiting thread but knew you'd be here. I also bait an area until it's hit then stop feeding and start calling the area. Seems to work well as I'm 2 for 2 in seeing them.

I caught this one mousing in the field beside my house just before 7:30 last night. It was raining pretty hard, but I managed to get him killed "eventually". It was not pretty, but I just kept shooting. I didn't take a very good shot but he was about to go beyond where I would have any shot at all. Turned out to be a black one. I ranged him at 174 yds. I've never seen him on any cameras around the bait pile, so must have been a newcomer to the area. Thermal was about as bad as it can be.

Even though I didn't shoot him anywhere near the bait pile, I know you guys like pics and vids, so here's Friday Night Mayhem.

IMG_0446 by Double Up, on Flickr

Great video fellas!!! Good job on the black one DU...no mayhem about it, just good hunting. Weekender...what restraint!!!! Wow, that would have been tough for me!!! I would have apologized to the neighbors in the morning as I was dropping off a plate of cookies
smile.gif
!!
Stay after it gentlemen...very, very slow here...AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!

I know it is still slow for you guys on the baiting, and it is for me as well, so I thought you might like another video of a stand we made Sunday night on a place we call the 6-Pack. We came in from another direction since I got busted by 4 coyotes the last time I tried it.

It was a tough half mile walk in and noisy in reed stubble, but it paid off. Just a couple of howls and here she comes slam across 700 yds. of open field. My hunting buddy shot her first at about 168 yds. and just got the bottom of her chest. I killed her on the run. Here is a picture and the video. This one was running solo Sunday night.

IMG_0448 by Double Up, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: Softpoint6mm, I took the Pulsar Apex out twice now. The first time I couldn't ID the coyote 100% so I let him go. Last night I called one in and missed due to a comedy of errors. The coyote all but died for me! LOL

I know this is a baiting thread but knew you'd be here. I also bait an area until it's hit then stop feeding and start calling the area. Seems to work well as I'm 2 for 2 in seeing them.

Have you used the Apex much? Just curious about your thoughts of it.

Sounds like you have a system working for you by baiting and then calling. There are at least three coyotes in the area / on our farm but they aren't coming to the bait site much lately. Of course, I haven't been baiting as much lately either. Makes it difficult to know when to stay the night at the cabin.

Good job on those last two yotes, DoubleUp. That running shot was fast and put him down quickly. I especially like the black one.

Well, I went out again. Called in a cougar but can't shoot them at night. (I have a tag.) Then tried another spot and called in two coyotes. Shot them both and both fell over. They however both got up and ran off never to be seen again! I should have stayed on the first one until I was sure it was dead.. lesson learned. Also, I'm sticking with a 55gn softpoint.

I like the Pulsar and am having a blast with it. Battery life is the only downfall.

Back