Wilson Combat 300 Ham'r

pyscodog

Well, the guy at the club that usually leaves me a crap load of brass just happened back again yesterday. And as usual, left a bunch of brass. This time, I thought it was 300BO and part of it was. But, there was a bunch marked WC 300Hamr. Didn't give it much thought until I started sorting it out this morning and noticed the 300 Hamr was a larger cartridge. Did a little searching and found the cartridge and a write up about it. Pretty impressive little round. Any of you folks shoot one? First though was having my bolt rifle rechambered to it for the extra punch it offers. Thought? Any of you have much experience with this round?

Big thread over on 68FORUMS on it by a guy that reps Wilson. Hog killing machine and he has video to show it but I wonder at pressures. The fired cases look good over there but man they are getting speeds that give me pause from that little case with big bullets.

Greg

I just watched a couple of videos. Pretty impressive. Complete Wilson rifles are kinda pricey but that was expected. The fired cases I found look just fine. I have no idea what rifle he was shooting, just figured its an AR platform. Now it looks like another way to spend more money. LOL

Anyone with anymore info on this new caliber with some hands on experience? Been looking at this 300 ham’r to see if it would be a decent 30 caliber option for the ar15 platform. Not sure if I think that it’s actually a reasonable option or not. What do you guys think?

I hog hunt with two guys that shoot the HAM'R and they have no problem killing pigs. They use CFE Blackout to reload with. It's not the most powerful cartridge out there by any means but you can recycle 223 brass to make it. 2550 fps is plenty good to go through a 300 pound hog with a 130gr bullet. No recoil at all with a suppressor so it is awesome for follow-up shots. You use 300 Blackout mags. Seems to be inherently accurate.

Bill Wilson and his son both killed a bull Elk with it this fall so it's not too bad of a cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone desired to go with a 30 caliber bullet in the ar15 platform, would there be any other caliber better the the 300 ham’r?

Originally Posted By: HcboyIf someone desired to go with a 30 caliber bullet in the ar15 platform, would there be any other caliber better the the 300 ham’r?

I just finished my 30 Sabercat build and will post some specs shortly.

The .30 Sabercat is a full power wildcat hunting round developed for the AR15. It is based on the 6mm Norma Dasher case (the new normal or thin rim version of the brass) which has 44.1 grains case capacity when fire-formed. You can also use any .308 based case but anything other than dasher brass will require neck turning. The idea was to get the performance of the 30 RAR in a standard AR15 upper and reach mild .308 ballistics from a smaller package.

The Sabercat has a case length of 1.575 and uses an COAL of 2.295, although not all bullets can be loaded that long. The light bullets load to around 2.2 COAL. As stated military .308 brass can be used but requires neck turning to .013 thickness. Case capacity with L.C. brass is around 41.4 grains so load data is very different between Dasher and L.C. Performance of L.C. brass is good in the shorter barrels.

It is designed around the 125-155 class of bullets but can run all the way up to the 220-240 loads for subs if wanted, although subsonic performance was not a design parameter when they were designing it. An 18 inch barrel can safely push a 150 grain bullet to 2650-2700 fps. It can push a 110 grain bullet to 3100 from a 18 inch barrel. A 22 inch barrel will push a 110 to 3250 and a 150 to 2800.

With the 2.295 COAL, PRI 6.8SPC magazines work best allowing 7 rounds in a 10 round mag. The larger mags don't allow much more capacity because the magazine starts to swell. You can do a spring mod to the 15 round PRI magazine and get 9-10 rounds in them. The 450 Bushmaster 5 round mag also works with some slight mods as does the 30 RAR magazine.

The .30 Sabercat likes the faster powders. In testing, 1200R and AA2200 were 2 of the best powders. H335 also works as does Norma 200, VV N120, VV N530, H4198, LT-30 and AA2230.

Last edited:
Bruce did a good job with the description and entered all the collected data (various bullet weights, brass, powders, primers, barrel lengths, actions, etc) into google docs.

Someone can PM me and I can give them the link.

My 6.8 SPC upper with a 16” Wilson Combat lightweight hunter barrel, adjustable gas block, 15” MW Ind handgaurd, standard BCG, AP UL scope mount, and a 1.25-4x28 Leupold VXR scope weighs 4.62lbs

My 30 Sabercat (16” barrel) upper with a Master of Arms Ti adjustable gas block, Midwest Ind 11” handgaurd, lightweight BCG, AP UL scope mount, and a 1.5-8x 32 Vortex Razor HD scope weighs 4.40lbs. With a mag tactical lower and Ti suppressor will be 7.25lbs in total carring weight.

I’m getting 2575 fps using a 150gr sst, CCI 41 primer and AA2200 powder out of the 16” barrel using converted 6mm dasher brass. 2889 fps using a 125gr sst, CCI 41 and AA2200 out of the same barrel, but the load is too hot and will have to back off.

With a properly adjusted gas block, the felt recoil is between 6.8 and .308

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThe performance of the 300 Ham'r is what kinda impressed me. But the cost of a Wilson rifle scared me off.

Could always buy the barrel and build your own for much, much, much less!

Load data is also on WC’s website.

Just a thought

The numbers from the Sabercat are smoking my 30RAR, which I would assume has more capacity. It could be the powders I'm using, but 110's at 3k and 150's at 2600 is about all I can muster with 4198 and 8208, respectively. I got a heck of a deal on a factory gun and couldn't resist. Factory brass available at Midway, and a 556 pmag works great for anything loaded short enough. I had the barrel threaded for the can and it's very accurate and fun to shoot.

My neighbor has a 30RAR and I've always wanted one. He's had great success with it. I looked long and hard at the Sabercat but fire forming and magazine capacity were the two big reasons I did't pursue one. Nothing wrong with either one but for the kind of hunting I do I went with the 30 Herrett/Tac 30 instead. Uses 6.8 brass so I can retain 6.8 mag capacity and push a 125 BT to 2800 with SWBO. When you shoot over 100 rounds a night and sometimes 25 a time at a sounder of hogs mag capacity is as important as velocity. I can run it 100fps faster than I can my 6.8. I hunt open fields and am not a deer hunter so my needs are different than most people. The biggest con is saving brass. You get a little cranky when you drop brass that you had to "build" even if you do have a brass catcher.

Back