.223 load for coyote

BangFlop

I am going to be getting reloading equipment in the next few weeks. I will be reloading for my Remington 700 LTR (1-9 twist) with Swarovski Z3 3-10x42.

I am looking for the best bullet/load for putting our WI coyotes down hard. Shots will be primarily inside 100 with some shots maybe to 200. I am not concerned about pelt damage, I just want them down (with good shot placement obviously).

Tried searching, but it seems most are concerned with hide damage. Besides, it’s been pretty slow on The forum.

What do you all recommend?

Thank you,
Steve

65gr Sierra Game Kings are my new favorite, I'm shooting them with CFE223 right now and getting incredible speed and accuracy out of my 16" BHW barrel. It doesn't shoot that well in the summer though, I plan on trying the 65gr with the more temp stable H4895.

CCI450 primers and LC brass.

Here's a quick gel test I found. They have worked great of fox and coyotes for me. Even when hitting bone they act the same is a clean broadside shot. He said he is getting 2773fps... I am pushing them hard at over 3100fps. Sounds like this guy doesnt like the bullet but he must be hunting zombie or commies, they're perfect for coyotes, a lot of expansion/fragmentation but not explosive on bone.

I gave up on the tipped "varmint" style bullets, when hit in the shoulder they were running hundreds of yards before bleeding out, for some reason at least half my shots are at a coyote quartered to me and I have to get through the shoulder.

I couldn't find squat for 223 Vmax gel tests. This is the best one I could find and the block is at 210 yards. Not really apples to apples but the first vid had the bullets loaded to a real mild charge, these superformance vmaxs are getting pushed hard but target is further away.... it is what it is.

Barnes and Nosler make some awesome bullets too but they have been too pricy for me to try.

If your rifle will stabilize it, some 1-9 rifles will, the best killing bullet I've ever loaded in .223 Rem is the Speer 70gr. Semi-Spitzer.

At 2700+ FPS my friends and I have killed many deer and big hogs with that bullet I load them with 26.0grs. W-748.

My AR rifles in 1-9 shoot the load well... the combo is down right deadly on game... pass throughs will be likely on coyote leaving a large hole and a blood trail even Ray Charles could follow.

Bottom line... it's a hard hitting bullet that will certainly smash through bone and kill very effectively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptIf your rifle will stabilize it, some 1-9 rifles will, the best killing bullet I've ever loaded in .223 Rem is the Speer 70gr. Semi-Spitzer.

At 2700+ FPS my friends and I have killed many deer and big hogs with that bullet I load them with 26.0grs. W-748.

My AR rifles in 1-9 shoot the load well... the combo is down right deadly on game... pass throughs will be likely on coyote leaving a large hole and a blood trail even Ray Charles could follow.

Bottom line... it's a hard hitting bullet that will certainly smash through bone and kill very effectively. shhhh, they are already hard enough to find. I run mine with stuff charge of H4895 with rem 7.5

Yeah the 60 gr vmax load I posted for you when you asked about the same question last month. Here's the link to your post with with my load data. Maybe you never checked your post after I added my load data with groups?

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...268&page=1c

My LTR shoots cloverleaves at 100 yards and .3" at 200 yards with both 25 gr of benchmark and 25.5gr of h4895 using the 60 gr vmax with a Muzzel velocity around 2950 fps. I loaded up some 40gr NBT with 27.7 gr of benchmark with a MV of 3650fps that shoots the same tight groups I'll be trying out this year. Sighted in at .8" high at a 100 yards you can aim dead on to 250 yards and be on the money.

The 60 gr vmax will DRT coyotes with these loads in my LTR and normally can't see where the bullet entered and exits... if it exits.

Last edited:
I wouldn't stress too much about what bullet you're using, it's a lot harder to call them in front of you than to kill them with a shot in the vitals.

At least in my area, if you're doing well enough to be deciding which bullets you like most, you're doing excellent and very much in the minority.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptIf your rifle will stabilize it, some 1-9 rifles will, the best killing bullet I've ever loaded in .223 Rem is the Speer 70gr. Semi-Spitzer.

My AR rifles in 1-9 shoot the load well

I have 2 rifles that shoot that bullet real well too. My load is 25.9 grains of W748 though.

Both are 1/9'ers too.

2.230 COAL

Hornady 55gn spire point #2266. As much Varget that you can smash in (27.5gn) rem 7.5 primer. 2.20" OAL
this load is Cheap,fast,temp stable and won't splash

Simply:
Accurate-deadly-dependable

H4895 can also be used at max load of 25.8gn.

This load works well in 223, wylde and in 5.56.

I found this load after being disappointed by expensive "varmint" tipped bullets many times. And I am still astonished that something this cheap can work so well.

.223 you're going to have some runners regardless of bullet choice. Knock them clean off their feet and sometimes they'll get right back up and run off.

I'm partial to the 60GR Nosler ballistic tip doing 2,800. It's very fur friendly and it does OK at putting them down, they're just a tough animal so unless you bump up to a .243 or .308 you may still be looking for some.

For .223 I don't think I would switch bullets even if I didn't care about the fur, if I did it would probably be a 65 gameking or a stout bullet like an accubond or solid copper. That gets pricey.

Cost of the bullet is not of much concern. I just want the best bullet I can get for plan “putting them down” as I am not shooting hundreds of coyotes a year.

Thanks everyone!
Steve

Originally Posted By: BangFlopCost of the bullet is not of much concern. I just want the best bullet I can get for plan “putting them down” as I am not shooting hundreds of coyotes a year.

Thanks everyone!
Steve

I hear ya I don't shoot hundreds either, wish I did!

It's the load development that's costly.

If you're not worried about fur you can't beat a 69gr TMK. They smack hard. The majority of the bullet usually fragments after an inch of penetration but enough of the core stays together to make a small exit out the other side. It puts them down though even if you catch shoulder bone.

Then use a 60 gr vmax ran at 2850/2950 fps range. It drops coyotes like the hammer of Thor with a well placed shot for me. I have about 8, 100 count boxes I bought in sale set aside and around 400 loaded up and sealed in vacuum bags. If you have some benchmark or h4895 try the loads I linked. If you get get runners with this bullet you would have had to made a very poor shot...just as it would happen with a bigger caliber. If your worried about pelts or runners just use a 12 gauge with lead BB like it do. I rarely take my rifle calling in Wisconsin anymore. Too much brush and too many branches. I saw six squirrels today and could only get a clear shot to pull the trigger at one. Fifty yards right in the melon. If I would have taken a Shotgun they would have all died. Had a coyote come trotting by bow hunting A couple weeks ago and once again a shotgun would have dropped him but he walked through light brush broadside never giving me a shot. Rifles are great tools out west or taking pokes at long distances but are pretty worthless when calling in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
I buy the 55 gr Hornady soft points in bulk for around $.07 each. They are accurate and just plain kill coyotes and any others varmints. Since I tend to shoot a bunch, paper mostly, the price point is very attractive. I have also used the Sierra 65 gr game king and the 63 gr varminter with great success. My best groups are with stiff doses of Benchmark with the 55's and max loads of Varget with the 63 and 65's. RL15 and Varget also works well with the 55's. The 55's also have been the most fur friendly as they seldom exit on coyotes.

Last edited:
Back