Let's talk Sabot Slugs

Ghilliedup2

I know there's not as many Hunters using a slug gun and neither would I if it weren't for IL regulations but for those of you who are, what slug are you shooting and out of what gun? What kind of on game performance are you getting from it?

I have an H&R 20 ga ultra slug hunter (24" bull barrel) with the thumbhole stock and the past 6/7 years I've used 3" accutips with excellent accuracy and on-game has been the same, with a few dropping in their tracks almost like hit with a rifle. I recovered one of them from a shattering to me buck last year. It went in on the near side shoulder and I recovered it at the end of the rib cage opposite side. The deer collapsed on the spot, the recovered bullet expanded from .45 original diameter to .58" to .69" depending where the measurement was taken and retained right at 90% of its 260gr. Excellent performance in my opinion but I still wanted to try a new one this year
So I tried the new 3" Remington prem expander that uses a solid copper tipped Barnes bullet, at 250gr this is 10gr lighter than the Accutips although the mv is the same @ 1900fps (1850 mv for the 2 3/4" version) I chose these based on local availability and accuracy in my gun. Last week at 75 yards I was able to put 4 shots in 1.3" 3shots = 1.1" and the first 2 shots = .33".this is right on par or better than the Accutips and out of the seven or eight rounds I never had anything close to a flyer

I shot a couple at 100 and 100+ to check my zero and they hit right about where I had expected. Has anyone tried these yet if so what did you think?

I tested Remington 3" accutips, 3" federal fusion, 2 3/4" Hornady lite and Win 2 3/4" partition gold. Zero at 100 with the Federal's the Rems shot 1" higher, the Hornady 1/2" high and right the Win were the farthest away about 1" high and right about 1 1/2". One shot taken with the Federal fusions(7/8 oz) heaviest of all the sabots tested on game, a nice thick buck at 68 yards. Shot through center of both lungs,blew right through. This was my Savage 220 with Leupold 3-9 ultimate slam. While testing I did notice that the tipped bullets drifted less when windy.

Illinois here, too. I've been using the original Remington Copper Solids in my 870 for a few years now, and it's an outright tackdriver. Terminal performance is absolutely stellar, as well. With a broadside shot, I usually get a nice clean hole all the way through. However, the last doe I shot was a big, full-bodied mature doe, and she was quartering away just enough that the slug lodged in her opposite shoulder. When I recovered the slug, I was impressed. All the petals were folded out very neatly and none were missing. I'd be willing to bet it had nearly 100% weight retention. I haven't shot anything much past 50 yards with it, but my dad loves to borrow it when he can, and he has put down a couple good sized bucks at 90 and 110 yards. I used to absolutely hate using slugs, but the Copper Solids work well enough to make me hate it a little less.

We have to use slugs for deer on state land in CT. Shooting a 12 ga. Rem. 870 Using Hornady SST 300 grain FTX, 2 3/4 inch. Very accurate and they don't go far, (if they move at all) with good shot placement. Very happy with them

Shot a 172 pound buck today with Rem copper solid. One shot right thru. Using my 870 w/rifled bbl, 2x7 Nikon, from a solid sitting position. All that prep and he popped up at about 25feet! Not a very bright whitetail as his rack looked like he was fighting rocks, all the points broken off.

Been using the 2 3/4 Remington copper sabot slug in my Mossberg Trophy Slugster for 20 plus years, they drop deer in their tracks! It prints clover leaves at 75 yards. I liked the Buckhammer slugs they made too, but they discontinued them for some reason?

I've been using the Hornady FTX as mentioned above and I don't have great accuracy results with them. Terrible groups actually. Shooting an 870 with a factory Remington rifled barrel. 50 yards i'm lucky to get 1-1/2" groups, 100 yards i'm all over the map. It's minute of deer but thats about it.

It's pretty bad when i'm relieved to switch to my muzzleloader for blackbowder season and that gun shoots one hole at 100 yards. WAYYY better accuracy than my 12GA which goes against conventional wisdom.

In need of a new 12GA slug for next year.

Back