Getting complacent

Ochocobull

Went out yesterday and hunted for half a day and got blanked. Got me rethinking my setups and strategy. I think the biggest thing I am doing wrong or could be doing a better job at is locating coyotes before I setup. I have gotten into the habit of just going and setting down in my old places that I have set for years and just calling. Just wondering if I shouldn't start locating before I setup and adjust the stand accordingly or just keep doing what I have been doing. This leads me to my question for the group. How much importance do you put on locating coyotes before you actually call? I am out west but typically call in small areas of timber that have limited visibility if that matters at all. I appreciate any input.

I sorta am confined to smaller areas & rely on a few trail-cams.
My problem is, I'm not there when they're active (they know my schedule !)

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlI sorta am confined to smaller areas & rely on a few trail-cams.

Those little jack asses are crafty that way. I might think about putting out some cheap trail cameras. If nothing else it gets me an excuse to get my fat butt out of the house and go check them. Thanks for the response and the good idea.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlI sorta am confined to smaller areas & rely on a few trail-cams.

Bob, you need to secure your game cams w/passwords. Haven't you heard those crafty little buggers have learned to hack game cams to learn your routine?
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Ochocobull How much importance do you put on locating coyotes before you actually call?

almost zero for me. if i depended on getting a reply from a coyote before i called i would make very few stands.

having said that, my hearing is a mess and a coyote needs to be very close before i am even able to hear it. but even back when my hearing was good, coyotes would very seldom respond. i just don't put much weight at all on hearing coyotes before calling.

and having said that #2, i call places that are very, very likely to have coyotes. i don't just call any old place.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Ochocobull How much importance do you put on locating coyotes before you actually call?

almost zero for me. if i depended on getting a reply from a coyote before i called i would make very few stands.

having said that, my hearing is a mess and a coyote needs to be very close before i am even able to hear it. but even back when my hearing was good, coyotes would very seldom respond. i just don't put much weight at all on hearing coyotes before calling.

and having said that #2, i call places that are very, very likely to have coyotes. i don't just call any old place.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My hearing is getting pretty bad in fact I am looking into getting those walker game ears ear buds for just that reason. Thanks for getting back to me and giving me your input I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Bob, you need to secure your game cams w/passwords. Haven't you heard those crafty little buggers have learned to hack game cams to learn your routine?
wink.gif

hm
I use double protection and they still mess with them.
Somehow they copied my key for each Python Keyed Cable then guessed the four digit password.
Stinky & crafty - they are !!

Quote: My hearing is getting pretty bad in fact I am looking into getting those walker game ears ear buds for just that reason.

I tried a pair of the ear buds but had to send them back (Gotta love Cabela's exchange policy) because none of the several foam adapters (for lack of a better term) fit my ear canal. Suggest you try them first if possible or purchase where they allow returns.

I have used Walker muffs for years and really like them and I think the buds would have worked well if I could have gotten a fit. The buds would sure be a lot handier in combo w/my eyeglasses; sure wish they would fit.

Regards,
hm

I rarely get coyotes to respond any time after the sUn comes up or before it goes down. I have noticed in my area that if you go out the night before and try locating in certain areas, if they respond it seems I am more likely to get a coyote to commit at that spot in the following couple days. I don't know if they are just more receptive or if it is a coincidence

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote: My hearing is getting pretty bad in fact I am looking into getting those walker game ears ear buds for just that reason.

I tried a pair of the ear buds but had to send them back (Gotta love Cabela's exchange policy) because none of the several foam adapters (for lack of a better term) fit my ear canal. Suggest you try them first if possible or purchase where they allow returns.

I have used Walker muffs for years and really like them and I think the buds would have worked well if I could have gotten a fit. The buds would sure be a lot handier in combo w/my eyeglasses; sure wish they would fit.

Regards,
hm

Now that is great advice HM I really appreciate you getting back with me. I never even thought about them not fitting. I am hoping they work as I am starting to strange looks from the young kids I take out.

Originally Posted By: Iowayote92I rarely get coyotes to respond any time after the sUn comes up or before it goes down. I have noticed in my area that if you go out the night before and try locating in certain areas, if they respond it seems I am more likely to get a coyote to commit at that spot in the following couple days. I don't know if they are just more receptive or if it is a coincidence

That is great advice Iowa and thanks for bringing that up. I use that tactic for turkeys but never have really done it for coyotes. Not sure why but never really thought about doing it that way. I will have to start. Thanks again for the reply I truly appreciate it.

I always like to at least see signs of coyotes in the area. It's funny you mention the location of the stand. I call from the same location in most cases year after year. The only reason I'll ever switch it up is if I get winded or miss a particular coyote in that area.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI always like to at least see signs of coyotes in the area. It's funny you mention the location of the stand. I call from the same location in most cases year after year. The only reason I'll ever switch it up is if I get winded or miss a particular coyote in that area.

Thanks for the reply OKRattler. I usually cruise by my stands that I have sat and if I see sign I will go and sit them. Things like tracks crossing the road and stuff like that. To be honest I have never changed it up even when I have missed or just shot one off a stand and the others got away. I think I will try doing that. Great advice and thanks again for the response.

Originally Posted By: OchocobullOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerI always like to at least see signs of coyotes in the area. It's funny you mention the location of the stand. I call from the same location in most cases year after year. The only reason I'll ever switch it up is if I get winded or miss a particular coyote in that area.

Thanks for the reply OKRattler. I usually cruise by my stands that I have sat and if I see sign I will go and sit them. Things like tracks crossing the road and stuff like that. To be honest I have never changed it up even when I have missed or just shot one off a stand and the others got away. I think I will try doing that. Great advice and thanks again for the response.
That's what I do as well a lot of times. Scat,tracks and even better a visual of the coyote or coyotes in the area. One thing I might add is aside from changing up a stand do so in a way that you can see down wind. If you miss a coyote and wait it out for a while it's still possible to get that coyote in but I've found that they're most likely to head straight downwind first. You might get lucky and get a slow learner but I like sitting at a crosswind with no obstructions between me and where that coyote is going. Which is a good idea in most cases anyway but an inexperienced coyote acts a whole lot different than one that's been scared coming to a call.

I will call previous successful stands a couple of times each season. They usually pay off repeatedly. I just don't hit them too often or too close together. That tends to burn out an area.

As for hearing them howl, sure, that let's you know their in the area. But will they come to the call? No guarantees. So I cold call a lot. I spend a bit of time satellite scouting on Google earth looking for those features that I know will hold coyotes. How do I know what those features are? I look back at previous, successful stands and look for those features.

I don't usually locate howl before I make my stand. During mating season, I will start my stand with an invitation howl, but not a locator. They won't often come to a locating call.

I'm always looking for new stands. I go on hunting trips, I might hit the same stand twice in a week and not hunt it again for a year or two. I spend a lot of time studying maps and the first day or two of a trip I might just drive a lot of the country I've picked and mark stands on my maps. If a spot really yells "Hunt Here" I'll stop during scouting and hunt it. Many times after calling a stand I'll walk the area to see if there was a better place to set up. If I'm in country that is called a lot I look for spot that most coyote hunters won't bother with.

I have books of public lands maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, UT, NM and I've just started to put together one for CO as I think I'll be spending some time there. I usually hunt 3-5 different states every year.

I really enjoy cold calling new areas, to me it is an accomplishment to be able to call coyotes in country I've never hunted before.

I live in my hunting truck for as much as 6 months of the year between coyote, bird hunting and fishing. My boat has locking cargo holds so I can just park it along side the road and hunt coyotes or birds and not have to worry about anything disappearing. Since I've put a furnace and solar panel in it I sleep right where I'm going to hunt. There is free camping all over the country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI'm always looking for new stands. I go on hunting trips, I might hit the same stand twice in a week and not hunt it again for a year or two. I spend a lot of time studying maps and the first day or two of a trip I might just drive a lot of the country I've picked and mark stands on my maps. If a spot really yells "Hunt Here" I'll stop during scouting and hunt it. Many times after calling a stand I'll walk the area to see if there was a better place to set up. If I'm in country that is called a lot I look for spot that most coyote hunters won't bother with.

I have books of public lands maps for WA, MT, NV, AZ, UT, NM and I've just started to put together one for CO as I think I'll be spending some time there. I usually hunt 3-5 different states every year.

I really enjoy cold calling new areas, to me it is an accomplishment to be able to call coyotes in country I've never hunted before.

I live in my hunting truck for as much as 6 months of the year between coyote, bird hunting and fishing. My boat has locking cargo holds so I can just park it along side the road and hunt coyotes or birds and not have to worry about anything disappearing. Since I've put a furnace and solar panel in it I sleep right where I'm going to hunt. There is free camping all over the country.

That's a toad ya got there!

Last year I did a lot of scouting in the winter and I found coyote tracks on every property I hunt. Since then I’ve simply concluded coyotes are everywhere, all the time, and have began figuring out how to get them to commit to a call. In my area if it’s not hunting an open field at night, then it has to be in the thick stuff. The coyotes have seemingly taken up residency in the deepest, densest sections of woods and pushed the fox to the edges. I usually won’t cut a coyote track until I’m a good 500-600 yards from any road.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Bob,...those crafty little buggers have learned to hack game cams...
Yep HM, caught this one in the act :
jamming my trail-cam via blue-tooth controlled optical nerve laser countermeasures.

164772312.uOwSdgIu.halos.JPG

(sorry for the diversion, back to OP..)

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoI will call previous successful stands a couple of times each season. They usually pay off repeatedly. I just don't hit them too often or too close together. That tends to burn out an area.

As for hearing them howl, sure, that let's you know their in the area. But will they come to the call? No guarantees. So I cold call a lot. I spend a bit of time satellite scouting on Google earth looking for those features that I know will hold coyotes. How do I know what those features are? I look back at previous, successful stands and look for those features.

I don't usually locate howl before I make my stand. During mating season, I will start my stand with an invitation howl, but not a locator. They won't often come to a locating call.

Great advice Snowman I really appreciate you getting back to me. Thanks again.

Back