552 Fox Squirrel

AdamT

A while back I picked up a Remington 552 Speedmaster in a trade. I got it for basically nothing (couple boxes of handgun shells), but it needed some TLC. A little surface rust, a broken fore arm, really gritty action and a missing receiver cover. Well, a good cleaning fixed the rust and action, I replaced the broken and missing parts, then mounted a Leupold VX-1 rimfire 2-7 in some Burris rings and it was good to go.

Had a little down time today after lunch so I headed to the woods to look for some squirrels. As soon as I entered the woods, I saw a fox squirrel bouncing along the ground about 60 yards ahead. Watched it climb up a tree and eased into position. The 552 put a CCI mini mag right up through its jaw. The shot was almost 90* vertical.

Not long afterwards the wind picked up and the fog rolled in so I had to call it quits before getting any more opportunities. I like this little rifle though, especially considering what I have in it.
39141655701_54b1cc9deb_o_d.jpg

That's a great picture! My dad used a 552 Speedmaster for some time. I've always liked those rifles but have never owned one myself.

Yep, very nice photo, and rifle too. It's good to see rifles from days gone by restored and put into use.

Awesome rifle. I did the same thing to an old remington pump I bought at a gun show years ago. That old rifle is still the one I grab in a safe (or two)full of rifles. They just shoot.

I have a 552 Speedmaster and I really like the rifle. It is a good looking rifle and even better shooter. I use the CZ 553 varmint anymore because I really like bolt guns. You did a good job on the repairs. Looks good and enjoy the rifle.

Thanks all. I've thought about refinishing the blueing on the barrel and magazine tube and replacing the stock with one to match the fore arm, but part of me likes the aged look of it.

I had a Deluxe, fire lapped the barrel with 5 shots of 500 grit, then 5 shots of 800 grit, amazing accuracy afterwards. I gave the rifle to my little brother, it is a dandy 100 yard rifle on black birds.

Back