A stalks positive ending

Snowshoes

This morning was almost a carbon copy of yesterday with a southwest breeze, 0 F* and clear skies. Today would be a trip to the valley to watch some coyote trails however the wind direction was wrong for where I normally set up. On my last visit, I watched coyotes traveling to the east through the valley from the nearby farm, so that would be the area I would concentrate on. I set up at a corner post and for the next hour and half, I watch a total seven coyotes head south from the farm yard but not one comes east.
Enjoying the outdoor world was starting to wear off and I was in much need to stand up and stretch the legs. The increased elevation from sitting to standing reveals another 4 coyotes in the hills a half mile to the west. They look to be enjoying the sunshine as two are laying down and two are sitting. Having had my fill of sitting, it was time to see if I could put a stalk on the group. I followed a draw to the top of the valley and from there hiked a half mile west through a field of wheat stubble. A slow stalk using a large rock pile to hide my approach was in progress but then I see a coyote running to the south. Busted, I’m not sure if any other coyotes are even left in the area as I hadn’t seen any since making my half mile journey. I continue south for a few feet but then see another coyote trotting across the valley from where I expected the group to be. The coyote stops and is soon joined by 3 more. I believe this group of four were somewhat concerned after watching that single coyote, bolt out the area just a half minute prior.
I struggle with getting a range on the group but finally get a reading of 387 yards. Adjust the turret for the 375 yard setting and pick the only coyote standing broadside. The bark of the rifle shot sends three coyotes south but my intended target drops. I chamber another round after seeing the coyote raise it’s head. Another shot fired but this time I shoot just over. I contemplated another shot but chose to make my way to the rock pile at the fence line. Used the rock pile to cover my sneak and once there, I took another range on the coyote.

I get a reading of 270 yards and after a quick chart check, I adjust the turret for 275.
Using both bi-pod and fence post to steady the crosshairs on the coyotes chest, a light touch of the trigger is followed with the satisfaction of hearing a solid hit. Its was good knowing the bullet flew true and found its mark.

Last edited:
Congrats on the coyote. Sitting for an hour and half in 0 degrees is great. Stiff once you got up I bet. What is the track to the left of the coyote? Doesn't look like snowshoes. Congrats

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on the coyote. Sitting for an hour and half in 0 degrees is great. Stiff once you got up I bet. What is the track to the left of the coyote? Doesn't look like snowshoes. Congrats
You are correct, the ole leg muscle were a tad stiff.
The track was sorta snowshoes, Well Snowshoes truck tracks
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriNice shooting...Congrats
Thank you fratri
Originally Posted By: Displayed NameNice shooting!
Thank you Displayed Name
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNice shooting!
Thank you Yotarunner

Very nice write up and pics. Thanks for sharing. Where's that global warming when ya need it!?.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Very nice write up and pics. Thanks for sharing. Where's that global warming when ya need it!?.

Regards,
hm
Thank you for the fine comments.

The whole global warming thing is a little slow taking affect in these parts
smile.gif

Back