2-3 K Thermal

isu22yote

Wanting to spend about 2-3 k on a thermal . I know that will get me the lower priced and lower quality units but I have a blue collar life style and job.... It will be for calling Iowa coyotes in open corn and soybean fields.. Shots will probably be 200 or so but wouldn't mind to stretch to 300. Video is a want for sure. Model suggestions ? Looking at pulsars....Most likely be mounted on AR or 223

For this price, your best option is most likely the Pulsar Apex XQ38. The issue or catch is you should eventually get a scanner as hunting with a gun only thermal is really hard to do. The other option is to look for a good sale on a Pulsar Trail XQ38. It has streaming abilities, so if you can get enough together, you could potentially get a tripod like the Night Stalker from Night Goggles and stream the scope view to a phone or tablet (Android preferred). It isn't the best option but it could be done until you get enough together for a scanner later on.

Kirsch gives good advice. I would like to add that 200 to 300 yard shots are very tough, and sometimes impossible within the price range you have. First of all, it's very had to judge distance with thermal and therefore ID is difficult also. A coyote that is not moving at 300 yards is difficult to ID. But if you are calling you should be able to get most of them in closer than that though unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way. I have shot several with my xq38 between 100 and 200 though. I really try to get them into a 100 though. The trade off is the field of view of these scopes makes finding close targets alot easier, especially on fleeing coyotes.

Last edited:
If you want onboard recording and a neat battery package, you'll have to squeeze enough out of that $3,000 for a Trail XQ38. To increase your range more toward 300 yd. shots, you'll have to up that amount another 5 or 6 hundred probably for a Trail XQ50, or opt for the Trail XQ38 with the LRF for maybe just a little more. Those can be tough bucks to spend for a man raising a family on a "blue collar" income. Hope you find something works out well for you.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Kirsch gives good advice. I would like to add that 200 to 300 yard shots are very tough, and sometimes impossible within the price range you have. First of all, it's very had to judge distance with thermal and therefore ID is difficult also. A coyote that is not moving at 300 yards is difficult to ID. But if you are calling you should be able to get most of them in closer than that though unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way. I have shot several with my xq38 between 100 and 200 though. I really try to get them into a 100 though. The trade off is the field of view of these scopes makes finding close targets alot easier, especially on fleeing coyotes.

How much has it changed your success in Iowa? Are you able to kill 4-5 yotes a night ? Is it worth running a pulsar apex x38 and getting a mini DVR recorder or just pony up and get the one with the inboard recorder ? Anyone run the new ATN Thor 4 units ? 2-8 and the 4-16 units look nice ..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: isu22yoteOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Kirsch gives good advice. I would like to add that 200 to 300 yard shots are very tough, and sometimes impossible within the price range you have. First of all, it's very had to judge distance with thermal and therefore ID is difficult also. A coyote that is not moving at 300 yards is difficult to ID. But if you are calling you should be able to get most of them in closer than that though unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way. I have shot several with my xq38 between 100 and 200 though. I really try to get them into a 100 though. The trade off is the field of view of these scopes makes finding close targets alot easier, especially on fleeing coyotes.

How much has it changed your success in Iowa? Are you able to kill 4-5 yotes a night ? Is it worth running a pulsar apex x38 and getting a mini DVR recorder or just pony up and get the one with the inboard recorder ? Anyone run the new ATN Thor 4 units ? 2-8 and the 4-16 units look nice ..

No I'm not able to average 4-5 a night. If that is your expectation, you are going to be very disappointed. I went from calling something in 1 in 6-10 stands to calling something in 1 in 3-4. So, you better be pulling all nighters every night if you want to average 4 to 5 a night. You better also be having some success day time calling. I have been calling coyotes for 20+ years and I still have plenty of blank stands at night. You better have at least some basic knowledge of stand location, setup, and using the wind to your advantage. Sure it's easier to get lucky at night because iowa coyotes are almost 100% nocturnal, but I still see coyotes skirt way around us or ignore the call for various reasons, number one being that they just don't like where you are set up. Most nights I get 1 or 2. But still get skunked once in awhile. Some nights are just better than others. I also farm and the chores aren't going to do themselves the next morning. So, usually like to be home by 11 or 12.

I wouldn't buy anything less than the trail xq38 if recording is a must. If that's all you can spend, then you're going to have to scan with your gun. It is possible just not ideal with one guy. Make sure you get a quality tripod ball head. With thermal if you get the low end stuff you can scan and pick things up but you can't ID. As far as coyote hunting goes all you did was spend a couple grand on something that's worthless in my opinion. You need to get a little bit better stuff. The trail xq38 will do what you want to do and I assure you don't worry about spending a few extra $100 because it's worth every nickel if you like to coyote hunt and I think you can find a new one for 3 or less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: isu22yoteOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Kirsch gives good advice. I would like to add that 200 to 300 yard shots are very tough, and sometimes impossible within the price range you have. First of all, it's very had to judge distance with thermal and therefore ID is difficult also. A coyote that is not moving at 300 yards is difficult to ID. But if you are calling you should be able to get most of them in closer than that though unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way. I have shot several with my xq38 between 100 and 200 though. I really try to get them into a 100 though. The trade off is the field of view of these scopes makes finding close targets alot easier, especially on fleeing coyotes.

No I'm not able to average 4-5 a night. If that is your expectation, you are going to be very disappointed. I went from calling something in 1 in 6-10 stands to calling something in 1 in 3-4. So, you better be pulling all nighters every night if you want to average 4 to 5 a night. You better also be having some success day time calling. I have been calling coyotes for 20+ years and I still have plenty of blank stands at night. You better have at least some basic knowledge of stand location, setup, and using the wind to your advantage. Sure it's easier to get lucky at night because iowa coyotes are almost 100% nocturnal, but I still see coyotes skirt way around us or ignore the call for various reasons, number one being that they just don't like where you are set up. Most nights I get 1 or 2. But still get skunked once in awhile. Some nights are just better than others. I also farm and the chores aren't going to do themselves the next morning. So, usually like to be home by 11 or 12.

This is what I needed to hear... Where are you located in Iowa ? Im from crawford county.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76 You better also be having some success day time calling. You better have at least some basic knowledge of stand location, setup, and using the wind to your advantage. This is so true. Everything is more difficult at night with the exception of the coyotes are more active.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way.

LOL... I just had to laugh when I saw this remark.

Using a Trail XP50 I kill yotes and hogs at will at 200 yards out of the back of my truck... longest night shot on a hog was just under 400 yards, I posted the video here some time back.

I killed five yotes this past week... all out of the back of my truck, one of which was right at 200 yards.

I do agree... you're not shooting them at that distance with lesser gear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way.

you ever watch any of the night crew shows? they flat get it done in the back of a truck. so do plenty of other guys.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Bownhtr, I like your setup.

Thank you Sir, it certainly has me spoiled. I have a second ring turret and have thought about making a double set up... that would be the cat's meow for sure.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way.

you ever watch any of the night crew shows? they flat get it done in the back of a truck. so do plenty of other guys.

My statement probably needs some explanation. I know in some parts of the country this tactic is very successful, but where we are from, it doesn't work too well. Our sections here are usually 1 to 2 square miles. There are farms or homes every mile so less. People hunt them with hounds and trucks. Most hunters and farmers keep a rifle in the truck and shoot at coyotes just off the road any chance they get. Coyotes become very wary of vehicles around here. Not saying our coyotes are any smarter or harder to call. Just saying that the ones that are still alive are very wary of any vehicle noise. We have farm fields and blocks of timber not two track roads that goes on for miles. Most people conduct drives for deer hunting so almost every square foot gets trampled on. Lots of coyotes get shot at and our coyotes have lots of bad experiences with vehicles. You have to get in without them knowing a human is anywhere near or far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way.

My statement probably needs some explanation. I know in some parts of the country this tactic is very successful, but where we are from, it doesn't work too well. Our sections here are usually 1 to 2 square miles. There are farms or homes every mile so less. People hunt them with hounds and trucks. Most hunters and farmers keep a rifle in the truck and shoot at coyotes just off the road any chance they get. Coyotes become very wary of vehicles around here. Not saying our coyotes are any smarter or harder to call. Just saying that the ones that are still alive are very wary of any vehicle noise. We have farm fields and blocks of timber not two track roads that goes on for miles. Most people conduct drives for deer hunting so almost every square foot gets trampled on. Lots of coyotes get shot at and our coyotes have lots of bad experiences with vehicles. You have to get in without them knowing a human is anywhere near or far.

I'll buy that... thanks.

Yes iowayotehunter76 is right on. Our coyotes are conditioned very well to stay away from roads,people, and vehicles. In my own opinion our coyotes aren't smart, they are scared.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76unless you are one of these guys who thinks they are going to sit in the back of the truck and call them that way.

This is 100 percent accurate. . I used to be the hound runner but looking into different options . Around here every section gets tracked up and shot up , granted we have some of the highest coyote populations in the state I’d venture to guess . Daytime calling is tough and I’ve had very little success , full moon nights I’ve had some . Was hoping possibly a thermal would open the doors a little and be more
Successful, however posts in this thread have me wondering if it’s worth the investment .

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76 You better also be having some success day time calling. You better have at least some basic knowledge of stand location, setup, and using the wind to your advantage. This is so true. Everything is more difficult at night with the exception of the coyotes are more active.

Both of these statements are very accurate, especially the part about everything being harder to do at night which is something you might not understand until you actually do it. Whatever you buy figure another $300-$500 for extras like tripods, headlamps, spare batteries, etc to make it work.

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterOriginally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: iowayotehunter76 You better also be having some success day time calling. You better have at least some basic knowledge of stand location, setup, and using the wind to your advantage. This is so true. Everything is more difficult at night with the exception of the coyotes are more active.

Both of these statements are very accurate, especially the part about everything being harder to do at night which is something you might not understand until you actually do it. Whatever you buy figure another $300-$500 for extras like tripods, headlamps, spare batteries, etc to make it work.

Thanks for all the replies , this is what I needed to hear . Definitely rethinking if this is something I want to dive into . It’s too bad the investment is so large to try before you really want to buy . Another thing I have holding me up is none of my hunting buddies have them . Not sure how much I will like hunting alone all the time .

Well thought out Isu. For some predator hunters an investment of many thousands of dollars is pocket change, but for others it is a major outlay, and still others completely out of reach.

Before investing what I personally call big bucks (running into the thousands), one should know they are serious about this and intend to stick with it. As others have said, being successful and committed during daylight or using lights (if legal) increases the likelihood that it isn't just some fad to try.

The rewards are great for the committed predator night hunter, but it is not for everyone. Some good hunters I know just can't get past the eerie feeling of being out in pitch dark all alone. I will tell you there is far more danger in night hunting not especially from animals, but it is easy to drive into a bad place, fall while walking, and generally most anything you easily attempt during daylight is much more difficult in the dark including shooting.

Back