Cleaning blackpowder--Triple 7

weekend_warrior

I just bought an encore 209X45 and was planning on using Triple 7. I've muzzleloaded before, but always used pyrodex. I switched to triple 7 becuase you can supposedly clean it with water, and you don't have to clean all the time.

So how do you guys clean after using Triple 7, and how often? With my old muzzleloader, after the shot, if I thought I might shoot again, I ran a wax patch through the barrel before loading. Will I need to do that with the triple 7?

Will I need to clean every night after hunting? Etc. etc.
Any tips or guidelines. I plan on shooting two triple 7 pellets for a total of 100 grains. Using 195 grain powerbelts.

Thanks
Bake

I have been shooting Triple-7 now for about 3 years and in my opinion, there is nothing better.

I clean much the same way I clean with black powder (Hodgen Spit Bath or hot water) and then some bore butter down the tube. What you will notice is that Triple 7 fouls much less and has about 10% more increase in charge per volume. I have hunted with my muzzleloader for a week at a time with no recharge (unless it gets wet).

Another thing that you do not have to worry about with Triple 7 is that it will not rust your barrel like Pyrodex or black powder....It's great stuff but a little pricey.

One thing to add, if you are shooting 777 pellets, make sure you are using a 209 primer as they won't ignite well if using a #11 cap. This is one reason I still use the powder.

Last edited:
If you just absolutely enjoy putting water in your rifle then go ahead and do it but you need to get it out or face rust problems.

Triple 7 is so easy to clean that you can just use WD-40 or Hoppe's #9 or whatever gun cleaning product suits your fancy and you won't need to worry about rust.

I have a friend that forgot to clean his blue Encore 209x50 after hunting and shooting a lot last season and when he finally realized what he'd done he was scared he'd ruined the barrel. Guess what???

No rust and a few patches with WD-40 and it was ready to shoot again.

Forget everything you learned about black powder. This stuff acts like smokeless and cleans up easier than any propellant of any kind on the market.

Triple 7 made muzzleloading fun again.

$bob$

Thanks guys. I ran some patches through it to make sure it wasn't too oily then went out and shot a couple times last night. I just wanted to shoot it. I wasn't trying to hit anything in particular. It was a lot different from shooting the cheap in-line I had before. THat cheap plastic thing kicked like a Missouri mule and stunk.

I shot this Encore, and it just felt sweet. No kick at all. In fact, I wondered if it was shooting right, but it was. 2 pellets of 45/50 Triple 7, a 195 gr. Powerbelt. Very light trigger pull, just a sweet feeling little gun.

I can't wait to get a scope on it, and get her sighted in.

Bake

Ive been using 150 grains of tripple 7 out of my omega and at the range i use 2 wet patches of TC's bore cleaner and the second patch barely has any powder fouling on it. Then I throw a dry patch down it and am ready to go. Sure beats the old pellets, looking like a coal mine for about the first 4 patches after every shot.

Back