If you had $800 for a New AR...

Delta Dog

If you had 800 bones for a new AR build, what would it be? This is for both the lower and upper, but no optics. This isn't really meant to be caliber specific either, but include everything else.

I recently let go of a bolt gun that wasn't interesting me very much, and I was offered a fair bit more than I had in it.

While this is a fairly open-ended question (and meant to be) my interest is in a calling rifle with an 18-20" medium contour barrel.

Always interesting to hear everyone's ideas. So, whats the best way to spend $800 on a complete AR?

Jake

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ar6721-16-1in-5-56x45mm-nato-matte-black-30-1rd-prod89740.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=colt&psize=96

When the 10% sale starts around Xmas get this.

It has a 1:9 twist and shoots stellar for a military barrel. You will love it. Mine shoots Sierra and Nosler Coyote bullets comfortably under an inch with a 2x7 Redfield. (Another great purchase)

Its a light HBAR style. Not much heavier than the government tube. Just way freaking better.

I got a brand new RRA ATH out the door with a few pmags, some ammo and some other swag for $750 after the election. I believe prices have come back up some since then. And I spent another $220 on a decent trigger for it too. The RRA match trigger sucked mightily.

- DAA

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/winter-sa...d-black-9939241

That's just for the Aero M4E1 lower... A couple weeks ago they a deal for M4E1 upper, M4E1 lower and 15" Mlok for $200, unbeatable combo and price in my opinion.

Schuyler has that combo for sale more times than not, just not right now. The site looks low on inventory, they must have had a good black friday but I would keep an eye on them for the best prices on Aero stuff and other high quality AR parts.

They had Aero Nitride BCGs for around $100 before also, phosphate for around $80.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'd not waste it on an AR, but that's just me.

OK... I'm listening...

Had few in many configurations , Factory, custom, etc... Never found any love for them. Not against them , just rather run a bolt gun .

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'd not waste it on an AR, but that's just me.

OK... I'm listening...

Had few in many configurations , Factory, custom, etc... Never found any love for them. Not against them , just rather run a bolt gun .

Oh... ok.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'd not waste it on an AR, but that's just me.

OK... I'm listening...

I'm with Tim.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'd not waste it on an AR, but that's just me.

OK... I'm listening...

Had few in many configurations , Factory, custom, etc... Never found any love for them. Not against them , just rather run a bolt gun. Been walking around with my ruger 77/44 anterless season the last couple days and it's as light as a BB gun.

I'm with Tim.

I'd rather spend it on a lightweight walking rifle. Been looking at a Kimber Montana 22-250 or a Garrette which is twice your budget.

But...
I have always wanted an ar10 in 243 for the last couple decades and just got it done minus a stock for $662.00

Midway had a 22" stainless fluted heavy barrel complete upper on sale for $449 shipped last month and I bought a complete Aero M5 complete lower minus a stock for $212.00 shipped. Reminds me I have to go pick up the lower. I did pick up a CMC 2.5 lb trigger for it as well. I'll still end up grabbing my shotgun when I call and my 243 heavy barreled bolt action as a second. I just feel more confident with my bolt.

Last edited:
Easy, on that budget pick most any upper, charging handle, bolt carrier on sale. I love the old vented round float tubes from Young, JSE surplus sells them for $50. Pick a clamp on adjustable gas block, appropriate gas tube for the barrel you get. I've had good luck with ARP barrels, my 6 Predator is a tack driver but he has other choices of course and are reasonable. If you want to spend a bit more for peace of mind I'd look to Ritch or Dtech. Buy a good bolt, especially if your caliber is based on the Grendel case, Young is the best I've seen here, they aren't cheap but are heavier built.

Lower, most any lower. I love the Ace skeleton stocks, the foam cheek pad is nice in the winter. RRA varmint triggers aren't bad for the money, especially if you know how to tune the disconnector spring. ASC stainless steel mags are cheap and have been reliable for me, and allow 2.3" oal.

Here's the general idea of what I like. Most of mine are black but I had a pic of this one already.:

tcyPK0Wl.jpg

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'd not waste it on an AR, but that's just me.

OK... I'm listening...

Had few in many configurations , Factory, custom, etc... Never found any love for them. Not against them , just rather run a bolt gun. Been walking around with my ruger 77/44 anterless season the last couple days and it's as light as a BB gun.

I'm with Tim.

I'd rather spend it on a lightweight walking rifle. Been looking at a Kimber Montana 22-250 or a Garrette which is twice your budget.

But...
I have always wanted an ar10 in 243 for the last couple decades and just got it done minus a stock for $662.00

Midway had a 22" stainless fluted heavy barrel complete upper on sale for $449 shipped last month and I bought a complete Aero M5 complete lower minus a stock for $212.00 shipped. Reminds me I have to go pick up the lower. I did pick up a CMC 2.5 lb trigger for it as well. I'll still end up grabbing my shotgun when I call and my 243 heavy barreled bolt action as a second. I just feel more confident with my bolt.

I picked up the Midway 20" stainless fluted 1/8 twist and I'm real happy with the performance. They also have a 16" and 18" fluted barrels. I also like Aero lowers and uppers as well. With the right parts and a good trigger you can be into this rifle for $800 or less. Anything less and I would spend it on ammo.
kwg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/745849...stainless-steel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/794051...stainless-steel

Rock River Arms would be my first choice. Unless I could find an LWRC for that price. Then that'd be the one I went with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerRock River Arms would be my first choice. Unless I could find an LWRC for that price. Then that'd be the one I went with.

If you find one for that price get me two since they retail for twice of the OP's budget. I'm sure there are deals out there but that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I've never seen either of them that cheap no matter how badly beat up they were. I'd like another piston driven POF for $800 as well but that's never going to happen either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerRock River Arms would be my first choice. Unless I could find an LWRC for that price. Then that'd be the one I went with.

If you find one for that price get me two since they retail for twice of the OP's budget. I'm sure there are deals out there but that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I've never seen either of them that cheap no matter how badly beat up they were. I'd like another piston driven POF for $800 as well but that's never going to happen either.

I found one about 5 months ago for $1,200 which I thought sounded like a good price. Although it was an older LWRC it still had the cool spiral fluted barrel on it and everything. I probably should have bought it but I didn't.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerRock River Arms would be my first choice.

If you find one for that price get me two since they retail for twice of the OP's budget. I've never seen either of them that cheap no matter how badly beat up they were.

Brand new ones were going for within the OP's budget a year ago. RRA had the ATH model on sale on their website for $850 but my LGS did $750 including sales tax and through in some additional swag to sweeten the pot.

And, I SHOULD have bought two.

- DAA

I just put together my LR10 upper and lower this morning the ar stoner and Areo M5 lower was a pretty close fit. It had just a hair of up and down movement in the rear of the upper and tight in the front not rattling back and forth. I turned in the rear receiver adjustment screw a few turns in and the upper and lower now have a rock solid feel. No movement what so ever. But you can see just a hair of daylight between the two components. About the sheet of a paper thickness. If it really bothers me I'll have to research how to make the fit flush. I have a CMC 2.5 lb single stage trigger I'll put shortly but can tell you the factory trigger, even though it's heavy, feels good.

I ordered a fixed sopmod stock from bushmaster off their 450BM AR for $53 direct that will be here next week.

GpN1VCN.jpg

pNUyHZn.jpg

BpwQmVe.jpg

It's a little on the heavy side but doesn't bother me. I'm 6'2" and managed a couple commercial tire facilities for about a decade and a half and use to install and stack up to 800 lb farm tires...but i can tell you it's starting to catch up with me.

Last edited:
Back