Ruger #1V

tj66

Picked up a mint #1V 22-250 this afternoon. Local gunshop sold it new a few years back, mounted a V16 on it for a older gentleman and he put it in his safe. Now he took it back to them to sell. Thought I could find room in mine. Threw together a few loads late afternoon and sighted it in. Running 52 bergers at 3700 the last 5 I could cover with a quarter at 100. Ordered a 1.75# Jard trigger for it tonight as the factory trigger isn't adjustable on it and it is nasty. Guess I will have to get used to holding 2nd shot in off hand or just not miss the first time...
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I hunted Deer for a number of years with a 1B in 300 Win Mag, love the rifle. A guy heading west to hunt Elk made me an offer I couldn't refuse and never got around to replacing it. The only shot that counts is the first one, usually the rest are just noise.

Enjoy, if it's a good one don't let any one talk you out of it.

Last edited:
I've always liked the #1's. Also have one in 223. I agree about the first shot is the only one that counts, not just on single shot rifles either.

Last edited:
I've always liked the #1's. Also have one in 223. I agree about the first shot is the only one that counts, not just on single shot rifles either.

Last edited:
Have wanted one of 257 Weatherbys but was always afraid I would get one of the many that were difficult to make shoot. You have to admit some of the #1’s were a bear to make shoot, others tack drivers

Most of the ones I've heard of not shooting were the sporter barreled models. My 223 is a varmint model and it has never been fussy. I've only ran 8 through this new 22-250 so far. Used 35.5gr H4895 and 52 Bergers seated 10 off the lands. Took 3 to zero and shot the last 5 to see what the load looked like. Once my trigger gets here I'll get serious about working up a load.

Last edited:
I have hunted with single shots all of my life, I love the #1 I have a few, also have many other single shots.

It is amazing how a single shot changes your style of hunting and the way you decide when to shoot as well as where to aim at on a critter. I hunt coyotes and when hunting with a bolt action, sometimes I will only load one round in the magazine, force of habit I guess.

Good luck with your #1, hope it shoots fantastic!

elalto said:
I have hunted with single shots all of my life, I love the #1 I have a few, also have many other single shots.

It is amazing how a single shot changes your style of hunting and the way you decide when to shoot as well as where to aim at on a critter. I hunt coyotes and when hunting with a bolt action, sometimes I will only load one round in the magazine, force of habit I guess.

Good luck with your #1, hope it shoots fantastic! [/quot

Single shots are how I started hunting also. I enjoy shooting Ar's, but I know I rush the shots sometimes knowing I have more. Never been a mag dump type of hunter though. This one is starting out good, doesn't seem to act like it's going to be fussy.

TJ,

35.5 grs H 4895 under a 52 gr bullet in a 223 is about 9-10 grains over max....how did you get it all in the case? That sounds like a 22-250 load.

This is what I was loading for... 22-250 that I just bought. The one in my original post.

Last edited:
I bought a new #1V in .223 back in the mid 90s. It was a beauty but just wouldn't shoot...groups resembled full choke patterns. I tried dozens of load combinations, different scopes, called Ruger & SSK for help. I made sure the rib/mount wasn't contacting the action, even installed a grub screw on the forend hanger to tune the barrel. Nothing would work, mine must have had a bad barrel. I traded it off for a Savage 12 single shot in .223 that would center-punch a dime at 100 yards. None of that deterred me from buying a SS #1 tropical safari model in .45/70 less than a decade later. This one will shoot circles around the old .223.

Last edited:
It looks likke this one will shoot so far. Changed the triggger out and have messed with loads a little before I tore my shoulder up. Its liking 52's with 4895 so far. Cold bore shot is consistant day to day.

I love the single shots too. I have Rugers and TCs. They can all shoot as good as any other factory rifle when they are tuned up. All you need to do is sand out the forend so that the wood does not touch the barrel. The only contact points should be the screw through the forend to the hanger. Do not bear dog tight that screw. It only needs to be tight enough to make the forend not shake. I like to use a drop of loctite 515 non hardening gasket replacement on the screw to make sure that it does not fall out but can be easily removed.

How was it changing out the trigger for the Jard? I have a #1 I have been looking at changing the trigger on. Directions seem pretty straight forward. How is the 1 3/4? That was the one I was considering as well.

Took me about 1 hour to change and adjust it. Takes the creep out as it gets rid of the linkage on the original trigger. Hands down much better.

Originally Posted By: 450 DakotaHow was it changing out the trigger for the Jard? I have a #1 I have been looking at changing the trigger on. Directions seem pretty straight forward. How is the 1 3/4? That was the one I was considering as well.

Also wondering this myself, the ability to get the pull down to under 2 lbs is good to know.

Back