Your ideal coyote round?

204 AR

What camp do you fall into?

1) 223, 55 grain bullet.

2) Traditional speedster, 22-250, Swift, 243 light bullets Fast!

3) High bc, 2800-3k fps.

4) High bc, big case. Fast and flat as far as you can see, to heck with the fur!

5) High bc lobber, Grendel etc.

6) Other?

Last edited:
22/250 AI
24-25" STD SPORTER barrel
12T-ZERO FREEBORE
55g Nosler BT, Sierra spt, Sierra SptBT, Sierra 55g BTHP @4050 fps
60g Bergera @3700
unbelievable accuracy-GOOD BARREL LIFE
Kills coyotes dead when shot in the rear of the stomach
Not much recoil-eliminates a lot of holder over mistakes and unzipped coyotes with them running off with a gut string
22 Creed may do the same thing, as the creed has a 30* shoulder and the AI has 40* with almost the same length case head to shoulder dimensions. Small primer Lapua Creed brass is Stout.

SPEED KILLS!!!

If I lived in a high wind area, then the same with an 8T shooting 75g A max at 3450, acceptable powder charge for the bore cross section.

If I wanted more, then go whole hog, 22/6 Rem AI and shoot the 80g A max at 3600 and never full length size. Fire form brass while kill'en.

Last edited:
I've settled on #3, the last several years. 243lbc, 6 Predator, whatever you want to call it. 87 gr vmax, bc of .4 so not the best but better than a 50-55 gr 224 bullet. 2900 fps approx. Just too much wind most times for me to grab the fast light stuff and trust it if I have to make a longish shot. If fur is no good or I expect longish shots overall, then 243 wssm, same bullet at 3250 fps.

Tried to figure out how to make a poll, couldn't figure it out.

I am pretty close to Ackleyman, with a slight tilt toward heavier bullets. SO far, the 69gr Sierra TMK at about 3550fps from a 22 Creedmoor is working well, and I dont see any reason why I would change. I also cant see a similar bullet running 100fps faster or slower wouldn't be just as deadly.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI am pretty close to Ackleyman, with a slight tilt toward heavier bullets. SO far, the 69gr Sierra TMK at about 3550fps from a 22 Creedmoor is working well, and I dont see any reason why I would change. I also cant see a similar bullet running 100fps faster or slower wouldn't be just as deadly.
What twist on your 22Creed?

Mix between 2 and 3. I was running 243 with 105 Hybrids around 3100fps when I didn’t care about the fur or 80gr TTSX at 3450fps when I was hunting for fur.

Now I’m running 6 Creed with 95gr LRX at 3200 fps which is kinda of a cross between them both. Decent BC (though not quite as high as my 6mm match bullets), fairly flat shooting, good punch, but won’t wreck hides on exit just like the TTSX. Little hole in and no bigger than a quarter size exit in the worst case scenario if you catch bone. They’re even gentle on foxes.

.22-250 95% of the time with 50 gr bullets to 400 yds.
For some reason I find comfort in always having a .223 around and rarely use it.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: liliysdadI am pretty close to Ackleyman, with a slight tilt toward heavier bullets. SO far, the 69gr Sierra TMK at about 3550fps from a 22 Creedmoor is working well, and I dont see any reason why I would change. I also cant see a similar bullet running 100fps faster or slower wouldn't be just as deadly.

Its an 8 twist.

If I was running a bolt gun, I'd give a really really hard look at the 6 creed also. I just like my AR's too much.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: liliysdadI am pretty close to Ackleyman, with a slight tilt toward heavier bullets. SO far, the 69gr Sierra TMK at about 3550fps from a 22 Creedmoor is working well, and I dont see any reason why I would change. I also cant see a similar bullet running 100fps faster or slower wouldn't be just as deadly.

Its an 8 twist.

What's the bc on that 69 tmk? And how bad on fur at that speed? I was thinking of trying them in the 22x6.8. Seems like a great balance of speed vs bc.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: liliysdadI am pretty close to Ackleyman, with a slight tilt toward heavier bullets. SO far, the 69gr Sierra TMK at about 3550fps from a 22 Creedmoor is working well, and I dont see any reason why I would change. I also cant see a similar bullet running 100fps faster or slower wouldn't be just as deadly.

Its an 8 twist.

What's the bc on that 69 tmk? And how bad on fur at that speed? I was thinking of trying them in the 22x6.8. Seems like a great balance of speed vs bc.

Sierra 69g TMK-BC= .379
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/prod...TMK-100-bullets

Hornady 75g eld-Match, BC = .469
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

now, which works the best on coyotes?

If hides are not worth much, then the 60g berger is a Monster Mashing bullet at 3700...you will just have to see it to believe it. Very humane killing round.

Last edited:
#2B. Non traditional speedster. .17 30's @4100, .20 38's @4200, 6mm 55's @4300.

Been using #1 a lot lately too though just for grins, 60 gr. @3000 fps, works okay. Wouldn't run a bolt gun that pokey though. Just been having fun with the AR, which does have some advantage in tight stuff, which I've been calling a lot in recent years.

- DAA

Guess I fit in #6 "other". Dtech AR 6x45 from a 20" barrel, and a second 6x45 upper 18" BHW, both shooting 70 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings. The Dtech also likes 75 gr. Sierra HP's.

I'd be in camp #1, #2, and #4

But I'm pretty sure my "go to" this year is going to be the Kelby 22-250 I bought from Reb a few months ago. I had the barrel shortened up to 18 inches and I'll be running it with my SAS Barricade shooting the 53gr Vmax. Even with the can on, it's still one of the shortest setups I have.

I don't know that I really believe there is a perfect coyote round. I usually have 2 rifles ready to go in the truck and ill shoot which ever one better suits the situation based on the terrain and current weather conditions. A 22-250 or a 243 shooting 52-60 grns as fast as possible and a 6.5 creed running 143s at 2700.
I like the acheivable maximum point blank range of speedsters with light bullets but if the wind is howling or a coyote hangs up past that 400 yard mark I really like having that 143 eldx to launch. So I geuss that makes me 2 and 3. Then again some of the ground I hunt a shotgum is by far the best choice.

If you really twisted my arm I Geuss I'd take #2....maybe.....I dont know...call me a fence rider.

Back