Convictions

Brownie

Does anyone know or have heard of anyone getting in trouble for cans? Was at the LGS a couple days ago and some guys were shopping around for a rifle with a threaded barrel. I overheard them talking and apparently there is a guy who makes and sells suppressors from his home. 250 bucks and it's yours. No wait no paperwork nothing. I saw one at the local range and the guy "claimed" it was a form 1 can but could not tell me anything about the process cost or timeline it took to receive his paperwork. You can tell it was homemade and suprisingly effective compared to my buddy's can. Are they not checking pursuing the manufacturing or is it just a matter of time??

Its just a matter of time. Eventually some one will ask to see paperwork.

With form 1 E forms going as fast as they are right now, I don't know why they just wouldn't file the paperwork. It's going to cost a lot more than $200 when the Feds come for them. Unless of course they are looking for a court case to challenge the constitutionality of the NFA

sounds like a great way to end up owing uncle sam a whole bunch of money, probably about as much to your lawyer, and losing your gun rights permanently.

the penalty for being in posession of an unregistered NFA item is up to 10 years in federal prison and $10,000 in fines. i'm sure that compounds for manufacturing and transfer of said unregistered items.

i wouldnt even want to know that guys name who's making and selling suppressors out of his garage, or be withing 100 yds of his property for that matter. thats a BATFE raid waiting to happen - especially if there's dumbasses yapping about his stuff at the local gun store and god knows where else.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdla/pr/jena-man-arrested-illegal-possession-silencers

YMMV

Originally Posted By: BrownieDoes anyone know or have heard of anyone getting in trouble for cans? Was at the LGS a couple days ago and some guys were shopping around for a rifle with a threaded barrel. I overheard them talking and apparently there is a guy who makes and sells suppressors from his home. 250 bucks and it's yours. No wait no paperwork nothing. I saw one at the local range and the guy "claimed" it was a form 1 can but could not tell me anything about the process cost or timeline it took to receive his paperwork. You can tell it was homemade and suprisingly effective compared to my buddy's can. Are they not checking pursuing the manufacturing or is it just a matter of time??

You might want to check directly with the local ATF office, or at the very least find another forum to ask that question.
Straw purchases of firearms and violations of USFW laws are pretty much the norm on here.

Dont bother contacting the local atf like suggested. They will just ask a bunch of questions and then youll look like the local snitch. Ever heard snitches get stitches!!!!

If this forum was the real world theres a couple hear i know of that play mall cop plenty enough for all of us.

Let johnny cop do his job and just get ur suppressor legally.

Last edited:
Stay very clear of these people. Years ago I got caught up in a similar situation and can tell you it was not pleasant. Several trips to the atf office and a polygraph test was not fun at all. Just do it legally. And as Plant mentioned the penalties and fines compound!

Originally Posted By: BrownieDoes anyone know or have heard of anyone getting in trouble for cans? Was at the LGS a couple days ago and some guys were shopping around for a rifle with a threaded barrel. I overheard them talking and apparently there is a guy who makes and sells suppressors from his home. 250 bucks and it's yours. No wait no paperwork nothing. I saw one at the local range and the guy "claimed" it was a form 1 can but could not tell me anything about the process cost or timeline it took to receive his paperwork. You can tell it was homemade and suprisingly effective compared to my buddy's can. Are they not checking pursuing the manufacturing or is it just a matter of time??

It's a matter of time. If the ATF catches wind of something like that, they will pursue it. It is illegal as all get out. If it was a legitimate suppressor, it would have the serial number on it. Because this guy couldn't tell you anything about the process, he is blowing smoke.

I've had the pleasure of talking to more than one Federal inmate who was in for a misprision of a felony charge. Funny he looked just like the guy that robbed the bank or killed his neighbor on a reservation. Don't be the guy that knows anything about things and then goes poking the bee hive. You will be stung and no pun is intended here.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI've had the pleasure of talking to more than one Federal inmate who was in for a misprision of a felony charge. Funny he looked just like the guy that robbed the bank or killed his neighbor on a reservation. Don't be the guy that knows anything about things and then goes poking the bee hive. You will be stung and no pun is intended here.

Greg

Greg I learned something today, I had to look up that term. Interesting, and from what I read fairly hard to prove but it's there.

Originally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: GLShooterI've had the pleasure of talking to more than one Federal inmate who was in for a misprision of a felony charge. Funny he looked just like the guy that robbed the bank or killed his neighbor on a reservation. Don't be the guy that knows anything about things and then goes poking the bee hive. You will be stung and no pun is intended here.

Greg

Greg I learned something today, I had to look up that term. Interesting, and from what I read fairly hard to prove but it's there.

Greg makes a good point. Those of us who deal with the ATF on a regular basis have come to know that they are not nearly as dumb as folks think they are. I think that most LE branches are not. Don't let the "perception" fool you. The memo's and statements that we read about in the media paint a very different picture from reality. But those statements and memos usually come from the management side of LE. We all know how managers are.

I think that it's easier today to prove what someone really knows. A lot of guys get nailed by what they post. I know an individual, who was a prohibited possessor, who would post up on FB when he was out shooting. Knock, knock. Who's there? FELONY! He is now back in the pokey. He wanted to know who ratted him out. Ummmm, look in the mirror.

Guys like the one described in the OP, who go to gun shows and brag about what they are doing, can easily get caught. It's just a matter of the odds catching up with them. There just are not enough ATF agents to follow up on every lead all the time.

So this got me thinking, is there a legal way to build your own suppressor? Would you have to build it and put a serial number on it then file a form 1? Or would you file the form 1 then build it? Or maybe it is not legal at all? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: mhammerSo this got me thinking, is there a legal way to build your own suppressor? Would you have to build it and put a serial number on it then file a form 1? Or would you file the form 1 then build it? Or maybe it is not legal at all? Just curious.
Yes you can build your own, make a plan then file a form 1, Do not assemble or build anything until you are approved,
and follow the guidelines from others that have done it the legal way.
I did a 22 suppressor on a form 1,not much hassle at all

Originally Posted By: BreezeOriginally Posted By: mhammerSo this got me thinking, is there a legal way to build your own suppressor? Would you have to build it and put a serial number on it then file a form 1? Or would you file the form 1 then build it? Or maybe it is not legal at all? Just curious.
Yes you can build your own, make a plan then file a form 1, Do not assemble or build anything until you are approved,
and follow the guidelines from others that have done it the legal way.
I did a 22 suppressor on a form 1,not much hassle at all
How about cost? Is it cost effective?

Well 200.00 for the tax stamp, no matter which way you go,
I had about 120.00 in the build apposed to the one on form 4 ,with that one stamp and all around 600.00,
only other thing would be buying a tested and proven can from a vendor ,or homebuilt and not really proofed tested.
I will only shoot 22 lr out of my build ,but can shoot 22 lr,22 mag 17hmr out of the store bought,
as far as sound with 22lr on a bolt rifle they both suppress about the same , on a pistol the higher dollar one wins hands down

Last edited:
I am reading up on "stuff" so I may find the answer faster than I get it, but I'll ask anyway.

$200 tax stamp PER assembly?
Trust - simply designates ownership, single or multiple?

Looks like Ronin Pro no longer sells build kits, is this a practice that has been hit by big daddy?

I am not a lawyer, so my language may not be entirely correct. But I have dealt with NFA items and registering them. Here is my understanding from the ATF:

Yes, the $200 tax is per item.

The trust becomes the actual owner of the item. You then identify the "responsible person" that administers the trust and the assets that the trust owns. This allows different people to legally posses the items. If you register the item as an individual then only that individual can posses it, as possession is seen as a "transfer" by the ATF, and when that individual dies then the item may not be able to be passed to a beneficiary, it would be up to the courts to decide.

When rule 41F went into effect there were a few good changes. CLEO sign off was removed as a requirement for individuals. Prior to 41F, individuals had to get CLEO sign off. CLEO's were not necessarily required to sign off, leaving the individual hanging. CLEO sign off was not required for trusts. 41F removed the requirement for CLEO sign off, making individual registration easier.

As for what happened to who, that is all supposition, unless you can find actual documentation, such as court records or reports from the ATF.

Back