.454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh

Rustydust

Hey Guys

Got a friend that wants a handgun for use up to big Alaskan bear. He already has a Super Redhawk in .454 Casull but now is thinking of a .475 Linebaugh from Magnum Research. He hand loads so he can control how much steam he wants to put behind them. He is not interested in a .460 or .500 S&W just the .475 is all. In my opinion neither of them is perfect for Kodiak or grizzly bear but I never shot one so I cannot say. I have shot my old Super Blackhawk .44 magnum so much that over 20 years ago Ruger had to put a new barrel on it (never again) but don't have much experience with the even bigger bores.

Whaddaya think? Will the .454 be enough? He can load a 440 grain bullet in that .475 at 1325 FPS. Seems like that would at least be adequate bear medicine to me.

Hi rusty. Has he considered the 480 ruger? Seems like he'd be able to find a more affordable quality gun in that caliber. For instance there is a super red hawk at my lgs for 799. Then he can still load those 400gr bullets to 1300+ fps if he really wants to. Recoil is fun 👍🏻

Originally Posted By: KjsgunsHi rusty. Has he considered the 480 ruger? Seems like he'd be able to find a more affordable quality gun in that caliber.

Yes he has but since the .475 Linebaugh will fire the .480 Ruger he would rather go that direction.

I do doubt that any animal that you ever shot with it could tell much of a difference though.

Hey Russ,
It’s been a long time since I spoke with you or posted on the boards due to some health issues. I have FA .475 . It’s been a solid shooter but lacks the long range accuracy of the .454. He really couldn’t go wrong with it for bear defense but as a hunting handgun I would pass on it. Accurate shooting past 75 yards has been hard to accomplish for me, and fifty yard accuracy has been spotty at best. At the short end of the fifty yard line this combination has proven excellent. I prefer lead bullets in the 385-425gr range. As for powders all the standard magnum handgun powders have work well but for a slightly reduced yet still full power load I’m fond of is hs-6 and 420gr slug. You can push slugs with that combo to original 45/70 ballistics which is more than enough for a handgun. Hope this helps

Dustin

consider the bullet selection of 45 vs 475
I used to have a 475 wildey, packs one a punch, but the availability of bullets was one of the reasons I sold it. with 45 there are a ton of bullet available in varying weights.

Surprisly, there are a lot of .475 bullets too. Montana Bullet Works offers at least 11 of different cast ones. Speer, Hornady, Barnes and a few others make jacketed ones. Besides, he will not be shooting it much I dont think. An elk hunt or two perhaps and maybe some lighter loads for deer might be in his future. Still, that .475 with some 420 grain loads in it would be mighty comforting in big bear country.

My nod goes to the larger bore. Lower pressures delivering grater knock down.

The 454 needs a higher status jacketed slug to deliver it’s goods on a tough target like a bear. The 480/475 cartridge can get by with cast slugs either commercially cast or ones you cast yourself.

I own and shoot cast in my SRH in 480. I am very fond of the combo!

Three44s

Well, it seems that my buddy has decided to go with the .480 Ruger. Good choice I think. Had his dealer order him a 6 1/2" Super Blackhawk from Lipsey's. Looking at the load data from Hodgdon it looks like there is less than 100 fps difference between the .480 Ruger and the .475 Linebaugh so may as well get the Ruger round. I'm hoping that after a few full throttle loads through he will not become disenchanted with it and want to get rid of it. I doubt it being a handloader and all. Nice thing about that gun is that it has the power if you need it. I hope that's all he ever needs anyway.

Back