Foaming bore cleaner

Squeeze

So I guess I live under a rock. When did Break-Free stop making their bore cleaning foam? I believe Safariland owns the brand, and it isn't on their website anymore, and I can't find anyone selling it anymore...Or am I just internet search challenged?

Anyone know of a source source for this, or any other bore cleaning foam, that cleans copper, that they would recommend?

Squeeze

I've never seen wipe out on the shelves around me but I can find the gun slick foaming cleaner everywhere so that's what I use and I would say it works great.

Originally Posted By: erictMore reading than you'll do in a week on gun cleaning and foaming bore cleaners, and an answer to your question, can be found here: Gun Cleaning posts.

No offense intended, but I used to hang out at AR, a long time ago. Reading those posts reminds me why I left. Maybe it is the case of too many answers, and I don't know who the creditable posters are there, to sort them out. I guess I can give Wipe-Out a try, and get the special applicator nozzle, so I don't have a mess. I know from my borescope Break-Free BCF worked, albeit sometimes it took a couple of rounds to get all of the copper streaks out. It sounds like Wipe-Out is very similar, but I need to order the $4 special applicator nozzle to avoid the mess the standard fog horn end makes.

I do know that Shooter Choice isn't an alternative. I have an almost full can that doesn't squirt anymore, and the one time I tried it, my borescope said it wasn't impressive.

I am looking for the convenience of a foam that takes powder and copper fouling out, in one step. I got kind of spoiled with Break-Free BCF.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: RustydustThanks for your report, Keith.

You know, the 12oz can of Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is about the same price as the Wipe-Out 5oz can is. I have tried them both and cannot tell the difference in how well they clean so I always get the Gunslick.

Anybody ever noticed a much difference between them? They both work well I can tell you that.

I've used Gunslick and can't tell difference between it and Wipeout. Available locally @ WM and Academy.

Discussions on various cleaners:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...2931&page=1

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4760&page=4

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3147069

I compared a lot of different bore cleaners using Lyman bore scope and now using TACTICAL ADVANTAGE applied w/wet IOSSO blue nylon brush and let sit overnight. Scrubbing bore 6-8 strokes w/the wet brush usually remove all copper and carbon from two factory barrels which are copper magnets.

Regards,
hm

My findings on the foam cleaners. They dislike or hang up in petro based solvents. I cleaned with strong alcohol or even mineral spirits and let it flash off dry. Then put the foam to it.

Wipe out has an accelerator and for the price and results the alcohol or mineral spirits worked as well.

I use wipe out just because it comes from about 40 miles from me.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDoes ANY of these cleaners work better than a good solvent and old fashioned elbow grease?

Probably not, just a bit quicker and more convenient.

Forgot to mention; the Wipeout applicator was a waste of money for me. The one I got never would seal on the can....foam went everywhere.

Regards,
hm

I use the gun slick. You can watch the foam turn into a blue liquid from the copper fowling being removed. The big key is to make sure you get ALL the remainder of the foam out of the action. If not and left in there it turns to a hard sticky gum. I litteraly glued my action shut years ago from not cleaning out the excess foam left in the action.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI use the gun slick. You can watch the foam turn into a blue liquid from the copper fowling being removed. The big key is to make sure you get ALL the remainder of the foam out of the action. If not and left in there it turns to a hard sticky gum. I litteraly glued my action shut years ago from not cleaning out the excess foam left in the action.

There is zero reason that the foam should be in the action.

I hope you will listen to hm, he is shooting straight on this cleaning issue!

Wipe out is great on copper, but it does not touch carbon unless you use it with the brush, the brush is doing the work.

If you do not like using good bronze bristle brushes, then Isso and Montana Extreme make very, very good plastic brushes.

I have a bore scope, dealing with cooked on carbon is no fun to say the least.

I have been using a product called Bore tec C4, it is a very decent product.

If you have to get carbon out and copper out, RIGHT NOW, then Montana Extreme Copper Killer will get the job done with a good plastic brush.

If you have let carbon build up in your barrel, there are a couple of things that work:

Montana Extreme Copper cream on a brush
JB on a brush
JB saturated on 5 patches, short stroking
ISSO used on patches or brush

If the above does not work, then wrapping some 0000 steel wool on a brush and using JB or Isso for 20 strokes.

If the above does not work, Brownells sells a 600 & 800 grit aluminum Oxide paste, try brushing with this, For comparrison, JB is around 1200 grit.

If your barrel is still has a boat load of carbon, then Brownell's sells a 600 & 800 grit of Silicone Carbide paste, use it on a brush or patches...this is the last resort.

Years ago, I had a 22/250 barrel that had seen 600 rounds shot red hot on Jackrabbits. The barrel got to where it would only shoot around 2" groups. An old gunsmith in San Leandro, Ca recommended to me that I use a good brush with Lava Soap. The barrel went back to shooting again, but I had shot the leade out and had to shoot 63g Sierra's to get it to shoot. I got another 800 rounds out of the barrel after the lava soap treatment.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI use the gun slick. You can watch the foam turn into a blue liquid from the copper fowling being removed. The big key is to make sure you get ALL the remainder of the foam out of the action. If not and left in there it turns to a hard sticky gum. I litteraly glued my action shut years ago from not cleaning out the excess foam left in the action.

There is zero reason that the foam should be in the action.

I agree but I get a back flow every once in a while if I don't have the plastic tube seated all the way into the chamber. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has done this...and after I remove the tube there is always some foam that expands back into the action. I now spray gun scrubber in the action when done to clean out the overflow of foam and then follow up with some oil...then there are no issues.

Last edited:
^^^^^ No bore guide? Preferably one with proper fitting o-ring.

For any cleaning. But I can't imagine the mess using Wipe out without one.

- DAA

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but on several occasions using any type of foam, I get foam in the action. Thats the main reason I don't really care for it. A good cleaner on a patch and a good brush and some time scrubbing works for me.

Bore guide and tubing on the applicator will eliminate that. If you're getting that much back-flow, you're using too much product.

Use a good bore guide w/proper fitting o'ring and apply foam from breech. I find the correct size tygon tubing to fit snug inside bore guide and leave the can/tubing inserted until foam stops expanding out the muzzle. Voila.....NO foam in action.

Since I clean after every outing, no problems w/long term buildup. As Keith said, foam does not cut carbon. Used various powder cleaning solvents first, followed by foam before bore scope.

After bore scope find that applying Tactical Advantage to Iosso blue nylon brush and making 6-8 passes through bore, let sit overnight will get all powder fouling and most, if not all of the copper out of most barrels w/1-20 rounds through them, even relatively rough factory barrels. Probably wouldn't after a day of shooting prairie dogs. If a trace of copper left, 2nd treatment takes care of it. Haven't used foam since.

Did resort to abrasives mentioned by Keith on a couple of barrels that I THOUGHT were clean before scope but which had a long term copper buildup and some carbon. Once removed, went back to TA.

Regards,
hm

I tried the foaming bore cleaners once on a rifle I was shooting mollied Barnes ttsx through. The normal Montana solvents weren't cutting it. It did come clean after about an hour of vigorous scrubbing and soaking but geeze. Then I tried JB and Kroil and I can get my barrels squeaky clean in 30 minutes tops. Patches come out white as the driven snow! I do still use the Montana solvents in conjunction with the JB and Kroil.

Back