FurHarvesting (4th & final)

RandyDB

Did not go out day after Thanksgiving as kids home and honey do to do. My Friend Crawford left to go home as he had a fishing tournament Saturday.

Couldn't stop thinking about the three coyote that wouldn't cross the road so thought up a plan for Saturday morning.

Was up and in a picked cotton field 3 miles north of where the 3 were on Thanksgiving morning. Decide not to start off with howl but went strait to crazy cottontail then a little lightening jack. Called for over 20 minutes no takers.

Light wind out of the south so back on the bike and pedaled south to waterway in the mid of the next section between a planted wheat field to the south a cut bean field to the north. The water way runs west to approximately 80 acres of brush trees and grass that runs south for 1/2 a mile.

Set on the south side but could see the north bean field well if they were to go down wind.
Placed the CS 24 with the mojo critter 50 yds straight south of where I was setting. Started off with Northern Flicker as this looked like it might hold a cat. Called 30-40 seconds then silent for 1-2 minutes adjusting the volume along the way. Called for 15 minutes and was thinking about quitting as this was a small area and that was plenty of time for one to get there.

My phone was set on vibrate, and had went off so I reached into my pocket figuring it was the wife wanting to know when I would be home. Looked at the text she sent and was going to reply, but looked up and there was a coyote standing less than 50 yards from my call looking right at the mojo critter. Luckily my AR was on my sticks with the butt against my shoulder pointed almost directly at her. Got her in the scope just as she looked my way squeezed the trigger and game over.

Was thinking you got lucky there. Picked my phone up off the ground and was going to shut off the kiyi which foxbanged on with the shot. Looked out at the call and about 150 yds south were 2 more coyote [beeep] bent to see which one was going to eat me first. At close to 80 yard one slowed down and stopped I was on him and the 70 TNT stiffen him. The other was headed south and west at a slight angle towards the brush gave him a little lead pulled trigger and down he went then right back up. This is what I like about the AR was on him again and shot just as he enter the brush. I heard the bullet connect but didn't see him go down.

Walk over to see if I could find him, when I got to where he first went down it looked like someone was pouring blood from a bucket for the next 20 yds. When I got to the field I could see him just about 2 yards in the trees. My first shot had went in at an angle just behind his front leg low in the chest, must of taken out his heart, he was running dead and didn't know it. Second shot broke his hip.

Hopped on my bike an went a got the truck. This was only my third triple in 42 years of calling but the morning wasn't over.
image.jpg

Just shot a triple I was pump, was thinking of going home but it was only 8:30.

Drove a couple mile to a creek that was loaded with deer and deer hunters but I had permission to call coyotes as long as I did go into the woods. Went to the four corners in the middle of the section only took me 5 minute on my bike from the road to the middle of the section. Cut bean field to north and really bad crop of uncut beans to the south. Put the call 50'yds in the cut field south and east of where I would set.

Started with some lone howls then wild Woody none stop for five minutes raising and lowering the volume. Saw one running thru the uncut bean field south and east of going straight south going to the fence line and would come west down it right to an open spot 70 yds east of my stand. Had to bark this one to a stop or it would have ate my mojo. Another one in the books.
Looked back to the south and another coyote was looking right at me around 150 yds. I eased around, the kiyi still blaring from the CS24, got him in the scope just as he turned and pulled the trigger. Not a good shot but he only went about 20 yds I was lucky the beans were bad. Dragged both together going to take a pic, phone was not in my pocket. That made me mad and sick. The wife knew I was wanting a new phone she would think I lost it on purpose.

Decide to call one more spot then go look for it at the last place I called.

Didn't need the bike as this place was only 100 yards from where I could hide my truck..
Open pasture with heavy cover and lots of draws. Long story short was less than 3 minutes into the call and saw 2 coyotes coming up the draw from the west. They would be within 50 yds of me if everything went right before they could wind me. I muted the call and just watched then thru the scope. They weren't coming fast but they were steady so I never turned the call back on. At close to 70-80 yds the lead coyote stopped the other had went up the side hill a ways and stopped too. Got on the one on the hill squeezed the trigger heard the bullet connect. Foxpro went to kiyi the first started up over the hill but stopped right before going over , gave that broadside stare for the last time.

A triple and two doubles and I only took a 10 shot magazine full of bullets. 2 bullets left, time for another double?? No decided to go see if I could find my phone. Found it in the back of my truck when I loaded up the coyotes. Don't remember laying it there. Old age I guess.

My best day ever and it wasn't even noon yet.
image.jpg

Along with the three posts leading up to this for the full story, this is...
HOMAnimated-S.gif

What's the AR (make, barrel and twist) and bullet you are using? Very impressive to see someone living the fantasy most of us dream of when we start up our callers.

Stag lower with a 2 stage Rock River match trigger, ACE stock. Upper is a White Oak Armory 6mm WOA. 6.8 necked down and shoulder bumped back, with a carbon fiber hand guard 20" 1x8 twist. Shooting Speer 70 gr TNT's at 3150fps.

Looks like the 70 gr. bullets are not too hard on fur. Great story/shooting. Congratulations & THX for sharing.

Regards,
hm

The Speer 70gr. TNTs are great bullets for frontal chest and side shoulder shots. Go in hardly ever come out. Angled shots can be messy it it hits the gut area.

Originally Posted By: RandyDBThe Speer 70gr. TNTs are great bullets for frontal chest and side shoulder shots. Go in hardly ever come out. Angled shots can be messy it it hits the gut area.

Used 87 gr. Hornady BTHP just north of 3000 fps IIRC. Good thing pelts no good down here as they were not so easy on fur.

Regards,
hm

congrats on an awesome morning Randy.

I no longer carry my cell phone. I lost one while out calling, don't want to do that again. Too expensive.

Congrats on a great morning Randy! That's the stuff of coyote calling dreams right there! Enjoyed reading your write up very much!

Back