A review of the JV Hunting Evangelist Scope. Pls read update om original post!!

KjBeachy

**Disclaimer** These scopes are no longer for sale in store, you can only custom order them!

"The Evangelist Scopes" Most of you have probably never heard of them. I didn't either till the owner posted about them one day in the coyote hutning facebook group. He started out with a 4-12x40 and a 4-16x44. These were priced at around 100 to 150 dollars. His main advertising point was, they are made in Germany, and have German glass. At the time, i wasn't really interested because i wanted a scope with a 50mm objective.
It wasn't long till he came out with some more scopes for pre order. He had a 6-24x50 ffp and a 4-16x50 sfp for preorder. So i went ahead and preorderd the 4-16x50 because it was so cheap. $150. Well i waited. And waited. And waited. And waited. Finally i contacted im wondering what was taking so long. He said they were still being shipped across the waters. He also told me that since i had waited so long for my scope, he would give me a 4.5-18x50 he was prototyping. I gladly agreed to that. So for $150 i was getting a $400 scope.
It eventually came, and I was immedialty impressed with most things. Lets remember, this is a $400 scope. Also keep in mind i havent used really expensive glass, so this probably wont be a fair comparrison, but anway.
This is a feature rich scope:
Illuminated reticle
FFP
80 MOA of travel in the EXPOSED turrets
Lifetime warrenty
These are the main features of the scope.
So I began testing it. The glass is phenomanal for a $400 scope. Like i said, i havent used expensive glass, so i cant really compare it with anything, but it looks really good to me. For example, i shot a baseball at 650 yards with no problem at all seeing it. At 4.5, you do get some warp, but as soon as you start zooming, it disapears.
As far as low light, i haven't really tested that, so i cant speak to that.
I HATE the turrets, they feal really cheap, but it tracks really well. I haven't done extensive tests on the tracking, but i have shot out to 650 yards, and it tracked perfectly.
So over all i am impressed with the scopes that he builds. I would recommend his scopes for you guys out there that like budget scopes. I would say his are some of the best on the market at that price point. Like I said, he only does custom builds now, and you have to contact him on what you want built. His website is
www.jv-hunting.com

2ahe1sm.jpg

1zcn8s1.jpg

11b10dz.jpg

2s9ulg5.jpg

Update!!!

I have been in discussion with the owner. He said this. Scopes ARE BUILT IN CHINA. He also comfirmed the glass is from Germany. He explained it to me this way.

And i quote
"The way it works is the highest bidder gets to pick glass first. So when the other top companies make their bids they get to go pick their glass first and then people like me were down 4th 5th down the line so we don't get the best glass but we get good glass cut from the same people"

I question this, but I don't really know what to believe any more.
Can someone confirm it works that way?

Last edited:
Looks like a rebranded primary arms scope. I think they are the ones whose that weird oval rectangular center piece.

Monstrum tactical also uses the same body. I think the evangelists are selling you a Chinese scope. Did you ask who is building these? They may just be assembled in Germany with outsourced components.

Last edited:
This whole post is fishy. Most scopes tend to get fuzzier as the magnification goes up. If this scope has "warp?" At 4.5 I can only imagine it gets worse as the power is increased.

"I haven't used expensive glass but it looks good to me" compared to??

"Hate the turrets they feel.cheap" on an apparently "custom ordered German scope"??

Call me an skeptic but sounds like a shameless plug with a review based on nothing but the fact that you were "upgraded" to a "better"scope because of a delay.

A baseball or a less than half MOA target at 650 yards was "clearly visible" and hit with no tracking test to confirm adjustments true to the graduation marked on the turret.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrownieThis whole post is fishy. Most scopes tend to get fuzzier as the magnification goes up. If this scope has "warp?" At 4.5 I can only imagine it gets worse as the power is increased.

"I haven't used expensive glass but it looks good to me" compared to??

"Hate the turrets they feel.cheap" on an apparently "custom ordered German scope"??

Call me an skeptic but sounds like a shameless plug with a review based on nothing but the fact that you were "upgraded" to a "better"scope because of a delay.

A baseball or a less than half MOA target at 650 yards was "clearly visible" and hit with no tracking test to confirm adjustments true to the graduation marked on the turret.

Let me explain
I thought i made it clear. This was NOT a custom scope. This is a prototype. He was considering building this in mass production, but decided against it.

Yes, scopes tend to get fuzzy at higher magnification. However, when i talk about "warp" at 4.5, im talking about the wide angle affect. Not a loss in quality

This glass is much better than the other cheaper glass i have used. I.e. vortex diamindback tatical

Before i shot the baseball i shot a steal plate to confirm i was close, then adjusted as needed.

As i stated earlier, this is a prototype, he was trying a different design on the turrets. Yes, they track, no, they don't induce the feeling of confidence when cramking on them, but it tracks.

I can see why you would call this review fishy. Trust me, it's not a plug. All i am saying is, at this price point, this is a supurb scope.

Last edited:
I hate when a product uses religion to make a sale. If its a good product, it should sell its self. "Oh so he's a good christian so I'll use him or buy his wares". Nope,doesn't work for me. Not bashing religion, just don't like it used as a sales pitch.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI hate when a product uses religion to make a sale. If its a good product, it should sell its self. "Oh so he's a good christian so I'll use him or buy his wares". Nope,doesn't work for me. Not bashing religion, just don't like it used as a sales pitch.

I totally agree. I told him he should change it. He didn't like that idea at all

This scope is absolutely not German....its just another version of the same old recycled Chinese scope thats been on the market for years.

I'll pass...

Originally Posted By: liliysdadThis scope is absolutely not German....its just another version of the same old recycled Chinese scope thats been on the market for years.

I'll pass...

Not to be rude, but how do you know?

Since yall guys can't seem to get what im saying, let me put it in plain letters for you.
This is a perfectly good scope for a person on a budget. Yes, there are other good choices out there, but this one works.

It's like the difference between a snap on tool and a harbour freight tool. The harbour freight tool might not be the quality of a snap on, BUT IT WORKS
No, im not saying you should give up your zeiss or NF for this scope, im just saying it's a tool that work.

And for the record, if you didn't realize, on most popular scopes out there, you pay for the brand name, not the scope.

Last edited:
Getting something made in Germany and selling it at the price of low end Asian manufactured scopes seems really impossible (too good to be true). Maybe a sweat-shop of illegal Syrian refugees.

From your description it wouldn't be something I'd even accept on a low end scope from Buschnell, Vortex or any of the common manufactures. Fisheye on the low end and fuzzy on the high just don't cut it, even a Mueller APV is better than that and they have a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: McGrawMaybe gr8fuldoug will recognize it and can tell us where it’s sourced from.

Never heard of it, I'm sorry

Originally Posted By: KjBeachyOriginally Posted By: liliysdadThis scope is absolutely not German....its just another version of the same old recycled Chinese scope thats been on the market for years.

I'll pass...

You can be rude, I don't mind.

I know because the price tells me. I know because the junk quality you reported tells me. I know because I have watched these hokey things for a couple of years now on the various FB groups. I know because I have seen that same scope body on Chinese scopes for years.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: KjBeachyOriginally Posted By: liliysdadThis scope is absolutely not German....its just another version of the same old recycled Chinese scope thats been on the market for years.

I'll pass...

You can be rude, I don't mind.

I know because the price tells me. I know because the junk quality you reported tells me. I know because I have watched these hokey things for a couple of years now on the various FB groups. I know because I have seen that same scope body on Chinese scopes for years.

Well, it may be Chinese, but it some of the better Chinese i have seen. Like i said, it works for me. So im happy

Originally Posted By: AWSGetting something made in Germany and selling it at the price of low end Asian manufactured scopes seems really impossible (too good to be true). Maybe a sweat-shop of illegal Syrian refugees.

From your description it wouldn't be something I'd even accept on a low end scope from Buschnell, Vortex or any of the common manufactures. Fisheye on the low end and fuzzy on the high just don't cut it, even a Mueller APV is better than that and they have a lifetime warranty.
Sorry, you miss understood me. Yes, a tiny bit of fisheye at 4.5, but no, it's not fuzzy at the high end

KjBeachy
I get your point that this scope fits your quality and price point that you need, and it’s good that you’ve shown it for someone else looking for that type of scope. I also agree that Nightforce scopes are also overpriced just because of their name. Nevertheless, I’m going to try to scratch up every last dollar of the price of a NXS to get one. That’s because of their tracking and quality reputation for dialing for LR shooting.
Just kinda bugs me these guys say it’s German made and throw a cross on it to put money in their pocket.
Bottom line is I agree with you. We all are going to buy what we want and what makes up happy.

Originally Posted By: McGrawKjBeachy
I get your point that this scope fits your quality and price point that you need, and it’s good that you’ve shown it for someone else looking for that type of scope. I also agree that Nightforce scopes are also overpriced just because of their name. Nevertheless, I’m going to try to scratch up every last dollar of the price of a NXS to get one. That’s because of their tracking and quality reputation for dialing for LR shooting.
Just kinda bugs me these guys say it’s German made and throw a cross on it to put money in their pocket.
Bottom line is I agree with you. We all are going to buy what we want and what makes up happy.

Exactly my point. And if i had the chance, I would buy a nf, just because lol

I've seen this same scope body on several scopes a couple of guys use to have. They were Chinese and were paying about a hundred bucks for them off E-bay or Amazon. They came straight from China. They thought they were great for the money. I just couldn't get on that wagon. Another similar scope was Seal. More Chinese junk. If it broke, you had to deal with a guy that spoke no English. But as was already said, its your dime, if it suits you, thats what matters.

Back