Cold weather Predator Hunting gloves

FairChase93

My hands get so freaking cold anymore some times I can barely run my call remote or pull the trigger. I've tried many different brands and styles and I have found nothing I am satisfied with. I've read countless forum threads and customer reviews, they seem to be all over the place.

Need something that will keep my hands warm but still allow good trigger control and waterproof or resistant would be a definite plus. At this point id be willing to drop some pretty substantial cash if I could actually find a pair I'm happy with. So what does everyone recommend of the options currently available on the market.

I have the same issue, my hands always get cold, doesn't really matter if it's super cold or not.

I wear my ski/snowboard gloves. I can still feel the trigger through mine. If it's really cold, I'll add one of those hand warmer packets in the glove. They usually last quite a few hours and only a couple bucks usually.

If I need to, I remove my glove right before I shoot.

I'm guessing you have tried hand warmer packs in the gloves???
They help a lot in a waterproof glove .
I have a pair of Polar fleece mitten that fit very loose over my gloves I slip on then can shake off or take off easily when needed.

Last edited:
I use Cabelas gauntlets. They are goretex so they're water repellent and wind resistant. I've sat on stand many times for 40 minutes or so in negative temps and I haven't gotten cold fingers (can't say the same about my toes though).
I walk into a stand wearing lightweight gloves and when I get setup I switch over to the gauntlets. No issues with using hand calls but it can be difficult to find my thumb in the gloves to hit the buttons on my firestorms remote. I put an oversized trigger guard on my ar which eliminated the issue caused by fatter fingers.

I looked on cabelas web site to give a link but they aren't listed. I bet they still carry them. They have Drake brand gauntlets listed though, I imagine they're [beeep] close to what I have.

I have a old pair of white mittens,one is in tatters from my drag rope, that when you wear nomax flight gloves underneath are really warm. Good with wind below zero. I think I will make a west Mn run after muzzleloader season and hit Clarkfield outdoors. If they can duplicate the material and sewing I will see about having some made. They will be white at least to start with.

Cold hands/fingers have been something I've had to deal with for years. I'm now using 12-Volt heated glove liners that has, low/medium/high heat settings. The liners are light enough that I have no issues feeling the trigger either. I too use the Cabelas gauntlets with heated glove liners inside for those occasional -35F to -45F mornings.
I can pull my hand out of the mitt and still have a source of heat on the ole trigger finger( & hand).
I also have a 16 volt heated vest (from the same company) that lets me sit in comfort on those extreme cold days.

I have a pair of Carhart camo flip open mittens, and I wear a thin pair of early spring hunting gloves under them from Cabelas. They keep me plenty warm. But, our temps are usually around 10-30. So, not as cold as SD.

Muffs work OK. However, I typically use the following setup. For any hands exposed for a long period of time in temps below 0, I typically wear a liner glove, and Marmot Expedition Mitts. They work pretty good, but get them very large as if it is too tight, they won't work well. However, you can't shoot in these gloves. When I night hunt, I have my scanning hand/arm with this setup. For the other hand, I have a super thin glove liner glove, and then a 2nd glove liner glove. Just a liner glove can get a little cold if you have a coyote hung up. Together, I can still move my fingers ok and feel the trigger, but if my hand is exposed for a few minutes will still be OK. Then in my pocket, I have a rechargeable hand warmer. They last 3-5 hours, and I have 3 total in the truck so they will last all night. When one goes dead, just swap them out. They will recharge 1000+ times, so they are much better option than heat packs and they heat up faster. I have ones that last longer but I like these because you can wrap your hands around them really nice. Your shooting hand will be toasty warm until you need it.

I have been looking at heated glove liners as others have mentioned. Tried the heated socks last year and didn't really like them, so holding off as solution works pretty well.

Thanks all for the responses. Ive read a few things here I may try. This is a rather annoying issue to me. I feel like I've really got a good setup that works for me with all the rest of my gear except the gloves. Just walking into stand can freeze my hands. I've tried big mittens that I slip off. Some rather expensive gloves that were useless basically. Hand warmer packets and a whole host of run of the mill options from the big retailers. Either they are too clumsy to be useful or just don't keep me warm. The search continues.

Screaming Eagle once sold unshorn sheep hide mitt's with cords to tie to belt loop's.I think someone still makes them over at the Leatherwall forum.

Ive had good luck with plain ole brown Jersey gloves. They are not great, but neither is anything else Ive tried. They also double as butt wipe if you get in a bind.

Originally Posted By: btech29Ive had good luck with plain ole brown Jersey gloves. They are not great, but neither is anything else Ive tried. They also double as butt wipe if you get in a bind.

@ $1.59 per pair brownies cant b beat IMO
thumbup.gif
...…….especially at the night time calling rate loss... like the $25.00+ pair I found pheasant hunting a week ago just reminded me how good brownies really r...…BINGO DINGO!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

I use a tight black leather glove under my big mittens. Have no problem with feeling the trigger or operating my call or gun. Once set up and calling, I keep my hands in the gloves until I see something then pull my hand out.

Back