Scope as scanner

yotehunter243

Is anyone using a second scope as a scanner? I'm going to be buying a scanner to go with my Trail but was thinking of buying an Apex scope instead and use it as a monocular.

I use a flir rs6435 for a scanner at times and shoot a trijicon mkII. The flir is quicker to pickup initial contact as it has red for hot objects then put the trijicon on the target. Gives the option of using flir as on a rifle when another hunts with me

Originally Posted By: smokemI use a flir rs6435 for a scanner at times and shoot a trijicon mkII. The flir is quicker to pickup initial contact as it has red for hot objects then put the trijicon on the target. Gives the option of using flir as on a rifle when another hunts with me

Having a back up scope is my end goal. If I'm spending $2,000+ it might as well have a reticle.

Your thinking is the same as mine. If spending that kind of money, it would be good to have a reticle. Only problem is when you have a rifle scope it's hard not to have it on a rifle.

I purchased a handle on ebay that has a 1/4-20 tripod screw, and got a picatinny rail too, tapped and threaded the rail and can now use my Apex XQ38 as a scanner if I ever decide to. I have a dlock mount that is easy on / off and return to zero. For now the scope is staying on a rifle, but it's nice to have that option. The scope isn't compact like a dedicated scanner and the field of view is a bit tighter, but it will serve the purpose if needed or desired. A Flir PS233 is more compact and could be a contender as well as the ATN Thor HD 1.25-5x. Either of those scopes could do double duty and are quite a bit smaller than some others.

I was in the same boat last year. I went ahead and bought a trail xq 38 for a back up scope as well as a scanner and shoot with a trail xp 38. Although it is a little bulky I can live with it.
thumbup1.gif

I scanned with a Trail xp50 last year while waiting on my Helion. It works but it gets old holding that big of a unit all night. Definitely find a smaller frame scope.

I scan with a Trail XP50 and only drawback to me is field of view would probably be better with a dedicated scanning monocular like possibly a Helion

I understand the logic but the size of most of the scopes mentioned, make scanning more difficult/cumbersome. Yes, it is nice to be able to use it for both, but if you use it the majority of the time for scanning why make it cumbersome on what you using 95% of the time.

I scan and mount my xp50. I can do it quiet and it is super repeatable with zro delta mount. Maybe not the best way but I’ve tested it and can prove it works well. The trick is buying magpul xtm rail panels and shaving a little off so you can slide it forward up to the next slot before tightening down. My partner has a helion xp50 and it’s a lot more compact and lighter. The field of view goes to the trail with less mag. I carry it with a neck strap that goes to pic rail on a key chain. I’m too poor to buy both but most times I don’t think about needing a scanner specifically

Back