Finally! One More Check Mark on the old Bucket List

hm1996

Staff member
General George S. Patton referred to the M1 Garand as "the greatest battle implement ever devised". It has certainly proven itself around the world in many conflicts since. I wholeheartedly agree with Gen. Patton’s assessment.

I've never been without one since I was issued my first in 1954 & there is no way I will ever part with mine. Unfortunately it had been sitting unused in the safe since the late 80’s due to my aging eyes.

My first attempt to ransom the old girl was to mount a Burris FFII, then a Millett red dot, and finally the Primary Arms 3X scope. Well, they say the third time is a charm; I guess they are right.

One final trip to the range with fresh eyes refined the zero. First five shot group was a tad low & right, measuring .65”. Took 4 clicks left & up 2, then shot five more rounds measuring .76”. Called it good to go, with great visions of a coyote in the old girl’s not too distant future.

45430694655_ef38c02328_n.jpg

Unfortunately, on 13 October, a blown truck tire had spoiled that first trip and it was looking like it would be mid-January before the opportunity would present itself again.

I felt very blessed, when things took an unexpected turn for the better just five weeks later and I was able to get up to another ranch for a quick afternoon hunt.

Figured we would be able to squeeze in six abbreviated stands with any luck at all, by planning our stands only one half to three quarters of a mile apart and of relatively short duration. It had been over a year since I’d been on this ranch, so this was to be primarily a scouting trip but would also provide an opportunity for the shakedown cruise of the M1’s third reincarnation.

The afternoon confirmed that our old favorite stands still held coyotes. While a bit more time on stand as well as a more stealthy setup would most likely have been more productive, we would have to settle for the run and gun approach this time.

The ranch is 14 miles long and 1 mile wide, running NNE. The north pasture is approximately 2 miles long, dotted by numerous well pads. The remaining pastures are separated by a centerline fence, which provided the setting for stands four and six.

45916848421_4512bde840_z.jpg

It’s been a wetter than normal fall and grass in the open pastures is knee high or a bit more, so visibility along the edges is not too good. Therefore, we hunted the intersections of fence lines and roadways, hoping the coyotes would be accustomed to oil field traffic and not be too alarmed at the sound of the jeep.

Two and a half hours after leaving home, we had the jeep’s tires on the ground, and another ten minutes found us on stand 1.

35534028212_6e484bc44c_z.jpg

Opened up stand 1 with an invitational howl and, as these coyotes are not usually vocal, was pleasantly surprised to receive an answering howl from the southwest almost immediately.

Fifteen minutes later I declared it a dry stand and we moved to #2, another favored setup on the east fence. Started out w/female invitational again and, after a short silence, followed with adult cottontail.

I’ve been concerned as to whether I’d be able to see the small one moa dot in the field with this new optic, so was aiming it at a coyote sized bush located about 175 yards down the sendero and had about decided that would be the outer limit for my old eyes.

45911301681_70c9e5937f_z.jpg

Haven’t used Lightning jack in a long time, so, at the 14 minute mark, gave it a try. Immediately after the switch, a YOY stepped out @ 150 yards, posing perfectly broadside while staring at the decoy. As luck would have it, a very slight shift of the rifle was all it took to center his shoulder.

Took up the first stage on the NM trigger and, as had occurred countless times in competition, long years past, the 2nd stage broke almost automatically @ 4.5# as the reticle settled on his shoulder, this time launching a 125 gr Nosler BT @ 3050 fps instead of the slower 168 gr. Sierra Match King.

Even with the light bullet and the heft of the M1, recoil was sufficient that I lost my sight picture and upon recovery, my first instinct was to wonder if I could have possibly missed? Was pretty sure the sight picture had been as perfect as I could make it, but could not see any sign of a dead coyote.

POA and POI turned out to be one and the same, however, and the coyote had just gone down so fast I could not see him, lying hidden in the grass (indicated by CQB ring of scope reticle above). He had dropped right where he stood without a twitch. Ya gotta love the 125 NBT for coyotes in either the 308 or 30-06 if you don’t save fur.

45911298731_73a436cd47_z.jpg

The fact that I could not remember the steps of big Al’s happy dance was no indication of a lack of satisfaction at having finally been successful in bringing my old M1 full circle from retired warhorse to successful coyote hunter.

STAND 2: D= Don, M=me, C=call & decoy, Coyote, came in from the north, final resting place indicated by star

45911160771_464d2b9fe8_z.jpg

Stand three was dry so we headed south to a cattle guard on the center line fence which has produced in years past. Stand four, we set up on opposite sides of the cattle guard on center line fence. I was facing north and Don was watching west. About 10 minutes in, he spotted a coyote cross my sendero, heading west, but just beyond my view.

45911161411_e6212529cd_z.jpg

We continued to call a while before deciding to move on to stand five, just shy of a half mile west along the same roadway. I placed the call NE of my position on a long sendero while Don watched back to the east. We thought we might catch the attention of that coyote that had crossed to our north on stand 4.

About 12 minutes into the stand, Don slipped up behind me and said a coyote was milling around the cattle guard, sniffing the area we had just left. The coyote walked back & forth across the road four times while Don watched, then sat there for a few minutes looking around. Don said this coyote was a different color and much larger than the one that had crossed north of us earlier. We had just enough time to make a move to stand 6 to try and take advantage of the SE breeze in an attempt to get his attention, but that was not to be.

We ended the day, four hours and 6 stands later, having one vocal reply and three called. Only one shot fired, but crossed off one more item on the old bucket list. Proving the old faithful M1 still has it 65 years after our first introduction…..…priceless!

Regards,
hm

My first "coyote rifle" was my dad's sporterized M1903 Springfield. I used Sierra 110gr HPs or the Speer 130gr HP. As you said, they are not fur friendly but even a Texas heart shot rolls them up like they were run over by a truck.

Nice! Great story and pics. I would like to see how you mounted the scope if you don't mind sharing. Also curious on your load info.

Thanks, all, for the kind remarks.

Originally Posted By: HellgateMy first "coyote rifle" was my dad's sporterized M1903 Springfield. I used Sierra 110gr HPs or the Speer 130gr HP.

I shot a bunch of jackrabbits in the salt flats many years ago with a couple of 1903's I bought through the NRA/DCM for about $12 IIRC. Great sport. Shot a lot of 110 Hornady spire points but switched to the 100 grain "plinkers" for some explosive action and they never ricocheted.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI would like to see how you mounted the scope if you don't mind sharing. Also curious on your load info.

I made a wooden dummy block that fit between the ears of my rifle to help describe my idea to a gunsmith friend of mine, who milled one out of aluminum, drilled and tapped it for me. It is held in place by the two allen screws using stepped bushings which fit the holes in the "ears" of receiver. Had one hole drilled and tapped in front of the mounting screws and one behind and use a small allen screw to adjust the tilt on base for elevation adjustment. This avoids drilling any mounting holes in receiver.

A short picatinny rail was then mounted on this block for the FFII and later the Millett.

42022378045_3ca9f781ee_o.jpg

42022378665_9a645cb8ab_o.jpg

Before I mounted the 3X scope, I had a longer picatinny rail installed to reach rear mounting bolt of optic for better stabilization. Also had this rail drilled to provide access to elevation screws through the rail to simplify adjustment a bit. Still have to remove optic to make the adjustment, but should have to do that only once.

(For more closeup pictures of 3X scope mount click on FFII, then a Millett red dot, and finally the Primary Arms 3X scope. link in OP)

Interestingly, I posted the project HERE and someone pointed out the HOPCO announcement that they were "Introducing the Hopco USA Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform. We are a couple of weeks behind schedule for releasing the product so we wanted to hurry and get it available."

Their base differs from mine as they use the rifle's elevation spindle and knobs to hold their base and IMO looks a little more natural than mine. Wish I had known they were making one, as I could have bought theirs a bit cheaper than my cost to have one built, but look at all the fun I would have missed.
grin.gif

Start low and work up, but I'm getting 3050 fps vel. 15 ft from muzzle w/49.4 gr. H 4895 behind the 125 gr. NBT. which should be op-rod friendly as I used 47 gr. w/168 gr. SMK to duplicate M2 ball ballistics.

Regards,
hm

Congratulations! Great job! I have my fathers M1. I took it out to shoot it a few years ago and the stock cracked....has not been out since.

Stock can probably be repaired; if not replacement stocks are available. https://estore.thecmp.org/ Where did it crack?

Was the trigger guard locked? Thinking your dad might have stored with the trigger guard not snapped in. I store mine like that to keep from compressing the stock over time which adversely affects bedding. If fired with trigger guard not locked, could stress stock enough to crack it.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I love that rifle! You stocked up on bandoliers?

I do, too, Jeremy. Brings back lots of fond memories every time I pick it up.
grin.gif

45287030325_012dc23dc1_m.jpg
32418163978_61e56f8aa0_m.jpg
44382540110_c4fd6eaa99_m.jpg

31260465027_5a497e0624_n.jpg

Can't tell you how satisfying it is to shoot it again, after being relegated to the safe for so long.

Uncle Sam furnished me an M1 until 1962. Then I shot this rifle in service rifle comp. from 1983 until 1989 when I had to admit I couldn't see the sights any longer.

Oh, yes I'm pretty well fixed for bandoliers, clips, etc.

Regards,
Clarence

Just noticed your comments,guys, thanks for kind remarks, but "history lesson"? Sure makes a feller feel old.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Great thread!!!!
So glad the technology available has allowed you to get the old girl out and exercising again!!!
I am looking forward to a lot more 'yote threads from you now!!!
NO MORE EXCUSES MISTER!!!!!!!

Back