.25-06 best fur "friendly" bullet... if there is one.

Acronin

One of my dads buddies can't afford another rifle for coyotes but would like to sell some pelts of any coyotes he shoots.

I was thinking 90gr GmX or 100gr Barnes. He doesn't reload so that makes it tougher.

Anybody have suggestions?

Issue: they may stand there after being shot like they had never been hit.

He should try a box of regular 120g bullets and see what happens.

I've tried most of the 75gr stuff and it isn't pretty and I'm only running them at 3150fps (250-3000 velocities). I have a bunch of the first 75gr "X" bullets that I need to try. I had a couple of nice Sav 1899(25-35) and 99 TD(250-3000) but sold them off when I couldn't shoot open sights and longer, I had a couple of boxes of those loaded up but never got to try them. I still have a 25-204(257 Kimber clone w/no fireforming) that runs .257 75's a3150 and 100's at 2850 that I still hunt with. I'm pretty sure that nothing light is going to work for you at the higher 25-06 velocities. I'd give those mono bullets a try, experimenting is part of the fun.

The Barnes TTSX or the Hornady GMX probable are better at being fur friendly than any lead bullet out of a 25-06.

While deer hunting with Barnes TTSX bullets we have shot coyotes with 260 Rem, 30-06 and Win 300 Short mag and most of the time it is a small entrance and exit hole.

Thanks for the reassurance fellas!

Hornady makes a superformance and full Boar with 90gr gmxs. I'll have him try those.

Thanks again.

Threads like this are pretty common. People who have often never killed a coyote and have certainly never skinned one or prepped it for sale are asking what ammo or what gun to use for their new found source of income that will pay for all their gas, ammo, and a couple of new guns.
I wonder how many times someone with $ signs in their eyes and visions of predator hunting shows flashing through their mind, actually go out and kill more than one or two coyotes AND find a fur buyer and sell them?
I understand the desire, but the reality is that the vast majority of people on this forum and that consider themselves predator hunters do not put up fur or even freeze them whole to sell later. I started a thread last year about people actually saving hides, the number IIRC was pretty small.
So, if your friend has a howizter and wants to shoot a coyote or two, go for it. But the ammo really doesn't make much difference as the fur will never see a tannery.

Or they might like to have a couple pelts to hang on the wall and don't want them to look like they salvaged them from paper shredder. Or even sell a couple of pelts to buy a dedicated pelt hunting gun.

Most folks if they are going to be putting up fur will be seriously looking at a different rifle/cartridge.

I don't use my 25-204 for pelt hunting, I have a 222 and 22-204 for that and if fox and bobcat were on the menu I'd be buying a 17 WSM, 22 H or 17 H after I sell my 218 Bee.

I have taken the 25-204 out for off season coyote hunting and have been looking for a pelt friendly bullet for it when I'm deer hunting to help pay for the deer hunt. I used to string some mink traps and beaver snares while deer hunting in northern MN and pay for the whole trip and my wife and I would put some venison on the table and have some good beaver jerky, stew and fried beaver liver and onions for breakfast in the morning and make wages while we were off hunting.

Last edited:
I have used combined tecknowledgy 120 gr. or however it is spelled in my 25 zips in an out leaves a hold about the size of your index finger and thumb together easy to sew, same with my 300 win with 180 gr. Just don't hit them around the edges or through the shoulders. If not selling local or through NAFA or such send it to mole mink for tanning for your self. They make great wall hangings. If all he has is a 25 and wants to call, by all means have him get after it. Then the 22-250 52 gr. BTHPM or 223 50 gr. blah, blah, just go call

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6724Threads like this are pretty common. People who have often never killed a coyote and have certainly never skinned one or prepped it for sale are asking what ammo or what gun to use for their new found source of income that will pay for all their gas, ammo, and a couple of new guns.
I wonder how many times someone with $ signs in their eyes and visions of predator hunting shows flashing through their mind, actually go out and kill more than one or two coyotes AND find a fur buyer and sell them?
I understand the desire, but the reality is that the vast majority of people on this forum and that consider themselves predator hunters do not put up fur or even freeze them whole to sell later. I started a thread last year about people actually saving hides, the number IIRC was pretty small.
So, if your friend has a howizter and wants to shoot a coyote or two, go for it. But the ammo really doesn't make much difference as the fur will never see a tannery.

I agree with all of this. In reality he wont go out often at all and where he's located there arent many coyotes.

My dad puts up fur and has for 50 years, so I'm sure if he shoots a coyote my dad would do the work for him.

Barnes bullets work phenomenally for chamberinfs that would normally blow them up as. Even foxes don’t get blown to pieces. They’re all I use now.

Yea, even with fur friendly calibers you’ll still have wasted fur. I’ve lost a couple hides from funky angles on the shot with my 22-250. My partner lost one with his 223 he hit high and busted the spine. I’ve got a 25-06 myself and plan on trying to see if there is a moderately successful fur load once they start rubbing in February-March. My theory is a good broad side shot past 150 yards with a varmint bullet might not be to bad. Otherwise a good old fashion cup and lead core softpoint over 90grs might mushroom enough and just leave a 30 cal exit.

An exit the size of your thumb is fixable anything bigger starts to be questionable and hard to hide.

Back