5 coyote morning

Snowshoes

After a non productive day of coyote hunting yesterday, I had high hopes for today.
For some reason, I had a good feeling about seeing coyotes this morning as I worked my way towards a pre-planned lookout spot. Ahead of me was a field of fresh snow combined with a light breeze from the north which should put the odds in my favor.
Reached my destination and set up just in time for some heavy flurries of snow. Waited out the ten minutes of heavy snow before uncapping the binoculars and scope. A continuous light snow fell as I glassed the slough bottoms to the north. Only magpies and ravens were seen on my first scan, with the same results on the second, third forth and fifth scan.
Ten minutes later I see movement at the edge of one of the sloughs to the north. The binoculars confirm two coyotes traveling together followed by a single. They looked to be headed south which was good news for me.
Reposition the rifle in anticipation of where the coyotes should appear is rewarded with the sight of the lead coyote to the west of me. As if it had read the script, the coyote stops and I steady the cross hairs on its chest. A touch of the trigger sends the 64gr hp to its mark. ( later ranged @ 187 yards).

The crack of the rifle shot sends the second coyote towards the bush which I’m trying my best to stop with barks & howls. Just before entering the bush, the coyote stops to look back at the downed coyote. A 209 yard shots drops coyote number two.

A quick look for the third coyote which I expect to be making tracks in the opposite direction is a negative. With all the draws and hills, I just figured the coyote made it’s escape without me seeing it.
Reached over to pick up my brass when I see the third coyote skirting the first coyote.
With a watchful eye, the coyotes focus is directed at its downed partner. I bark, which stops this coyote and another 64 gr hp is sent down the tube of the 223AI. Coyote number 3 goes down. (Ranged at 162 yards).
Getting all three coyotes sure was something I never expected.

After picking up the coyotes, I head a mile and half west to an area of a medium sized slough bottom. A thick patch of bush to the north typically holds a few coyotes and with a slow approach to the slough, I found a good spot on the edge of the cattails to set up.

Take a few distance ranges of the area before pulling out my diaphragm reed. Fight off the gag reflex as I put it in my mouth. Start off with a couple howls and wait for 4 or 5 minutes before switching over to yelps. My yelps are cut short after seeing a coyote coming across the ice from the west. I take the diaphragm reed out of my mouth and get the rifle into position before I bark and howl to try stop the coyote. This one is not slowing down, so a running shot is required which rolls the coyote 60 yards to the southwest of me. (Not good fur)

Back to yelps with the diaphragm reed and within a half minute I see coyote at the edge of the cattails to the west. The coyote spots the downed coyote and starts trotting towards it. I let a bark out which stops the coyote and a 123 yard shot has it down.

I see one coyote vacating the area a quarter mile to the west and I decide to put a halt on the calling. I likely will be back in a few weeks to try this spot again.
When I came back with the truck to collect the coyote, I see another one trotting across the field and headed for the bush. A good sign for future calling!

Last edited:
What an OUTSTANDING morning hunt, the coyote gods where with you this morning for sure. Glad to see the great pictures you provide and the great story to take us along with Thank you. In your pictures the coyotes looks to be a reddish color and other to be more silver/black. Great to see the different color. With the 3rd and 5th pic. Will these two bring more money or all the same price. Down hear they like the lighter colored ones over the darker looking ones? Thanks

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWhat an OUTSTANDING morning hunt, the coyote gods where with you this morning for sure. Glad to see the great pictures you provide and the great story to take us along with Thank you. In your pictures the coyotes looks to be a reddish color and other to be more silver/black. Great to see the different color. With the 3rd and 5th pic. Will these two bring more money or all the same price. Down hear they like the lighter colored ones over the darker looking ones? Thanks
The lighter colored coyotes typically have fetched me more money at the auction but they are not real common in this area. I do get a few but mostly the darker "bush" colored coyotes around here. However, I have netted some pretty good prices for XL DRK BR coyotes, so can't complain.
Originally Posted By: fratriSome good reading and nice shooting.... Always,always enjoy the stories and pics
I think I was shooting above my capabilities today.... 100% is not my "norm"
smile.gif

What an awesome hunt! I'm not sure what I would do with myself if I had that kind of a morning. I'm not sure I could sleep for a few days. Congratulations on connecting on all your shots the first time.

Congratulations on a great hunt and shooting! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameSounds like a great day. Congrats.
I did enjoy that morning hunt!
Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWow what an awesome morning. Thanks for taking us along, and darn fine shooting too!
One of those days where everything clicked!
Originally Posted By: MatlockYou are having a d@rn fine season up there. Congrats!
Thank you and I can only hope it continues
Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteWhat an awesome hunt! I'm not sure what I would do with myself if I had that kind of a morning. I'm not sure I could sleep for a few days. Congratulations on connecting on all your shots the first time.
The morning activities were replayed through my head several times when I went to bed.
Originally Posted By: hm1996Congratulations on a great hunt and shooting! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Regards,
hm

Hope you can come along on a few more adventures.

Originally Posted By: luderAnd thanks again, great hunt,pics,story. And the shooting wasn't bad either...
I surprised myself with the whole fiasco
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AWSSounds like your in the zone for this season, hope the good hunting keeps coming.
This season is running about par with other years (So far), I too hope it continues
smile.gif

5 yotes in two stands is [beeep] of a good ratio.

Im thinkin that maybe your shooting sticks are being nice to you and being EXTRA steady for your shots this morning. lol

Going to finally get out to my spots this Sat as they open up from the end of the hunting season here. Its been a long wait.

Originally Posted By: titch--5 yotes in two stands is [beeep] of a good ratio.

Im thinkin that maybe your shooting sticks are being nice to you and being EXTRA steady for your shots this morning. lol

Going to finally get out to my spots this Sat as they open up from the end of the hunting season here. Its been a long wait.
Sorta made up for the 0 for 4 ratio from the day before
smile.gif

I might be onto something by leaving the bi-pod outside in the snow for a couple days.

Good luck with your future hunts.

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteSnowshoes,

Do you use strictly hand calls or do you have an e-caller as well?
Last Sunday I used strictly hand calls, however I do have an e-caller that I use time to time.
I always have hand calls on me when I hunt coyotes but the same can't be said about the e-caller.

Back