Leupold Freedom

Has anyone used any of these models yet? I looked through one the other day and it seemed pretty darn nice for the $$. Looking for some feedback before I purchase, Thanks

I put a 1-4 on my Marlin 45/70. Didn't make it through 20 rounds and it died. Might be OK for lighter recoiling rifles.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterWell [beeep], I was actually thinking of putting one on my 45/70...looks like I may need to rethink things

Some of the guys I shoot with run Leupolds on their 45/70's but they are the upper end scopes. They aren't having any problems but the Freedom line was what I used. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Not necessarily looking to be budget friendly heck, I wasn't even looking for new glass. I just seen it, thought it looked good, thought it might look even better on the rifle....one of those situations where it was easy to talk myself out of.

Every once in a while you get one that doesn't hold up, too bad it is usually a Leupold, that said I like their 1-4x20 scopes. I use them on my combo guns and they hold up to 12ga 1nd 16ga coyote loads.
One of them was a VariX-II it only made it through 5 rounds on my 35 Whelen it kind of sounded like a maraca after the 5th shot. I sent it back and they fixed it and it has been going strong for a number of years(10 or so). I bought one of the Freedom 1-4x20mm, haven't mounted it yet but it looks like a winner. It got caught in the move, it is still sitting in a box in WA. I believe the 35 Whelen has a Weaver V-3 on it now.

I own numerous brands of scopes and only two have gone [beeep]-up and bothe have been Leupold but I still keep buying them.

Last edited:
If Leupold still has a lifetime guarantee and if its Freedom line is covered by its lifetime guarantee, I'd take a chance on it, especially if the price were right.

I always go with best quality I can afford. I've seen cheap fail on big game hunts. I've never seen a Leupold of any model fail. I own about a half-dozen Leupolds. They're all excellent.

Some hunters will spend a fortune for German glass, and there is no question that the best glass in the world comes outta Germany (along with the best of a lotta stuff). However, on big game hunts, a hunter might look through his scope for maybe 5 minutes a day, probably a lot less. He'll spend hours glassing. My suggestion would be to go heavy on binos and lighter on an excellent-quality scope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougWehave sold a good deal of these with great feedback. Nice scopes priced below what you'd expect

^^^This is good info to have^^^

I pay more attention to hunters who use stuff, and no attention to what gun writers write.

Thanks, Doug, for this info.

I almost bought a VX-Freedom 4-12 for my .17Fireball but ended up getting a VX-2 4-12.

Just wasn't enough feedback out there to give me the warm and fuzzys about the Freedom lineup yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EMP3If Leupold still has a lifetime guarantee and if its Freedom line is covered by its lifetime guarantee, I'd take a chance on it, especially if the price were right.

Lifetime warranty is great but then again, who wants to send in a scope for repair after your first trip to the range?

I have a 2-7 on my Encore Katahdin carbine in .45/70. It has over 200 rounds through it so far with no issues. I've sold a few to customers & haven't heard of any problems.

VX-3 = 1.5-5x20mm, VX-1/VX-2 = 1-4x20mm. Actually the 1-4's were closer to 1.5-4 same as the small Freedom is listed now. I have a few of the Leupold 1-4's on various combos and drillings from the VariX-II through the new Freedom .

Last edited:
Back